Freeside

Tips, tricks and a few bugs, part 1 of 3

This is the first of three posts intended to help those who are getting stuck or frustrated moving through this game. If you prefer to solve these challenges by figuring things out, or just by trial and error, feel free to skip this with the knowledge that the current "end" of the game can be reached quite easily.

Part 1. In the Beginning - the Stone age.

You have a whole empty world, where to place your Epicenter?

It's actually very important. You need to be as close as possible to:
- a large lake
- a large forest
- plenty of loose stone
- a large rocky stone outcrop with flat stone around it
- a small amount of desert

The further nugs have to go to get/move resources, the slower everything develops. The nugs will quickly use up all the wood and stone that's just lying around locally anyway, so you need to prepare for when lumber mills and stone mines are available - they will speed up production considerably. Until then be patient, and gather as much (200-300) wood and stone as you can. Build plenty of warehouses, you'll need them later. Build plenty of wells if you don't want to stave off disease all the time. Build only the water pumps you need to sustain the current demands - yes, the lakes really do run out of water and fish if you overuse them. Turn automatic research off. If you don't, decisions may be made for you that you may regret later. Build farms and eateries as needed. You always need a lot of food right through the game. Look at the effects of research and prepare appropriate resources. Make sure all possible research is complete up to this point. Once you have a healthy, growing population, with plenty of food and resources stored away, you can consider flipping the switch on the Tudor transition.

Tip. Creator Points (CP) seem to be more critical in this release. Use them wisely. There's nothing worse than getting all the resources for your first cement factory and building it only to have it destroyed by a tornado because you don't have enough CPs to make a bubble. Or cope with a meteor strike, or a power or water shortage. If and when you have CPs to spare and they're going to waste, use them to make trees on the other side of the planet to improve your oxygen/pollution indicator. If you place them too close to your civ, the nugs will just come and chop all the wood down. You can also use this technique to increase production in lumber mills.

Bug. I almost had to stop playing this game on the first day because the default auto resolution pushed menu items off the top and bottom of my double-wide 3840x1080 monitor. Setting Windowed mode and setting the resolution to 2560x1080, then setting Full screen again resolves the problem but of course I get a screen with black bars on the side and don't enjoy the full glory of 3840. A short simple fix would be to move the Settings/Resolution menu item to the middle of the menu so at least it's easily accessible. I can provide screenshots if this isn't clear.

The next post will address the Tudor Transition and managing the next phase of building upgrades and development.

notredame.png

Thanks! I definitely need tips and tricks. This game is frustrating the heck out of me.