I must be playing this wrong. I never make it past the medieval era because my nuggets stop building and start to die. Maybe the balance is off but I’m about done with this game. I have plenty of food and water and I only picked certain buildings for shifts. I have plenty of energy. And whenever the option to vote for any law that makes them mate comes up, I choose it. 😒 

Also that stupid power wheel needs to be rearranged. Why are the fire and tree icon right next to each other??

Shifts are a tricky thing, you can get mores resources quickly , but you have to keep a good balance between auto asigned workers and nuggets out of work, they will mate more often,

so only activate shifts for essential production , at the beginning

See and that’s why I never build the town hall when it’s available. Easier to do it myself. I’m gonna try again and this time focus only on resources. 

Just in case you weren't aware, you can set the minimum amount of laborers you want before it stops autoassigning nuggets in the town hall. That obviously doesn't fix this problem, but just wanted to make sure you knew.

There are likely just bugs occuring. The best you can do is make a lot of saves, and if that happens, go back to a save before it occurred. Barring that, it may just be best to wait for the 1.0 release.