This may be a dumb question, but....

Every time I get a Grad student from the University they last anywhere from seconds to minutes before they disappear. Is this on purpose or a bug maybe? It sucks because I obviously want the Grad students to make the University and School graduation times much quicker. They literally last seconds or minutes after I place them as professors and then they are just gone? Are they finding better jobs in another world? lol

Edit: Sorry, I tried to avoid doubling down on making more than one post, but I did so on accident and yet again, I can't seem to find a remove post option. lol

It largely depends on why they're disappearing, for which there are two likely causes. They're dying, or they're becoming Exiles. It could also be both, since it's very odd if it's happening multiple times to you. If you're interested in tracking it down, you could go and follow one after graduation and assignment and see what happens

I meant to put an update and I think I forgot to do so. lol

I figured out it was due to age. I literally have 70-90-year-old college students, so they are dying literally minutes after they graduate. I  guess it is kinda like real life? lol

Seriously though, almost every college student I have is starting around 70-90 years old and I can not find any option that allows you to remove someone from the university. I have a hundred young nuggets running around that can't get into school because all the old foggies are taking up space. Unless I am missing something, this would certainly be an awesome feature for Crytivo to add. A simple option to remove NPCs from college. lol

I even tried sending them to Jail on purpose, but they seem to remain college students even while in prison. lol

Grad Student turnout is sooooooooooo slow. No matter what I do I am lucky to have 2 Grad students at a time and I even have Ministry of Education and at least 7 Universities.

Just want to check, you have teachers assigned at the universities, correct?

Yes, I make sure they stay full consistently. I even switch them to grad students for an attempt to push them out faster, when feasible. However, as I said, I am lucky to have a standard 2 grad students available at a time. Yet, they do not last but a few terms it seems, due to the 90-year-old age upon graduation lol. Literally, 75% of the students are in their 70's to 90's and it seems there is nothing I can do to change that. It is just such a SLOW turnaround. It seems quite a waste of time and resources really. As I stated, I have about  7 universities right now which means I am losing 28 manpower and high school grads at that. Which is harsh on me because I am already pulling the educated to the school from places like engineers, prison guards or fire departments, whereas you know, suggest educated workers, due to a shortage in population. I am honestly considering removing all the universities so I can use that manpower in more sufficient areas, where their labor will be appropriately used. 

Same thing happened with my playthrough.  I managed to have three university grads, only to have one die on me seconds later.  Both my profs were the university grads too, didn't help much.

I started a new game and paid a bit more attention, so far. I have had 2 Universities for at least 2+ Hours and I still haven't had one Graduate so far. Not even a 90-year-old. HaHa

Ditto, the education system is fairly broken. As is farming. I get endless messages about crops withering, being neglected etc. Clicking on farms, I frequently get messages that there is no farmer, but there are at least 2 or 3 clearly farming. Plagues of Herbs filling up the warehouses, plagues of hospitals and watchtowers if I'm silly enough to assign nuggets to those government roles. Many visual bugs such as nuggets walking through water, through buildings and failing to negotiate inclines. Buildings melding onto each other. Modern buildings which won't build because they have resources (stone/wood/food) inside their metal walls stopping the nugs that clear sites getting in. Oh, and resources management in general needs some work - as others have noted, the carrier nugs waste a lot of time taking long routes to places they shouldn't even go. I've seen them taking food from a farm to a warehouse the other side of town even when there is plenty of closer warehouse space available. I would rather see these things improved than have to deal with meteors destroying my hard work ;-)

I have been unable to maintain a population much above 600. There has been no expansion for centuries. Is there a built-in limit, either to their geographic expansion, or the total population?

Tried to upload some screenshots, but "Upload Failed" even though I reduced their size to fit the 3.6Mb limit.

I'm sure it's really bad form to reply to my own first post, sorry. I have uploaded some annotated screen captures along with all the saves from my current attempt at this game to dropbox. The saves are roughly every 100 years. The save names are self explanatory, ignore 'su7', 'w' means Wind power, 'pNNN' population, 'yYYY' year. Saves get very big so download at your own risk. The Captures folder has a few screenshots, I'll add more as I go along (only just discovered how to do this, duh). Steam says I've played 226 hours, eek.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qurv1relemjdub6/AABkpogFeTV3VBK1_HgQ41PQa?dl=0

@Freeside while your complaints are noted and entirely valid, getting a civ to 600 is definitely high population end game right now. While we hope to improve that in the future, there are many many people who struggle to get above 150.

To explain a handful of your complaints, the couriers are likely (Emphasis on likely) given their transportation requests when either the closer warehouses are full, or they're near full and the rest of the space is being allocated to other nugget's transportation requests, who just haven't arrived yet. I'll look into it to make sure everything is operating smoothly though.

The metal walls of the modern buildings should not stop the pathfinding of the nuggets to clear an area. If that's happening, something else is going on.

As for the limits, there are no hard limits on population, but certain natural and systemic factors will decrease the growth of your civilization, such as travel distance in your resource chain. This is something we'll alleviate in the future however with new features.

If I hover over the nuggets that are studying at the university, I see them doing stuff like "Hunting", "Going to mine stone", "Repairing a building" instead of actually studying...

If the nuggets are doing all kinds of other stuff than actually studying, then no wonder it is taking so long to give them an education!

Whether this is a bug or working as intended, I do not know, but I would think that when they went to school and university, they should focus all of their efforts on that until they finish training and free their spot for others to take.

To achieve this, I would suggest implementing a few simple rules:

1) Only labourers are autoassigned to study. If they are assigned to a building, I would prefer that they actually stay with that building and doing the stuff they are supposed to do that is connected to that building.

At the same time, I would need an indication in the nugget list, that these nuggets are no longer labourers, but they are now students, so you don't accidentally assign them to do other stuff.

And if there are no more uneducated labourers, then unassign one from a building and replace them with another nugget, and then send them to study. The important point here is that when they are studying, they do not have other priorities at the same time.

2) Only nuggets that actually has a school education would attend university. Just like in real life, you would need some level of training before you can attend the university.

3) If you have an unemployed nugget with an education, then they will be autoassigned to buildings that require educated nuggets to function optimally, automatically replacing the uneducated nuggets. This way you will not have uneducated nuggets releasing plagues or starting fires while you have farmers with university degrees wasting their education.

Implementing these points would reduce the amount of micromanagement that you currently have to put into the game to have everything working as well as they can, freeing up the creators to actually do the stuff that is fun :-)