Rudolph

Ambiguous: AI pathing issues - 3

Build:

0.32.24034 - Latest experimental Steam

Severity:

AI pathing seems to struggle in experimental compared to main branch.

Seen a lot of instances with nuggets standing completely still in nooks and crannies of especially mountains or stony areas, and remaining there until either food or hunger reaches a critical point and they walk back from whence they came. This also occasionally happens with buildings, especially late medieval/modern age(University and any of the larger modern buildings).

Consequences are the occasional building-site that never completes if all assigned builders get stuck(Rebuilding in same place does not help unless you wait, since it assigns the same nuggets), and any slightly-remote buildings going unmanned since all nuggets trying to reach work there ends stuck in the same(ish) location. At worst I've had something along the lines of 10-15 nuggets stuck in the same tiny space, looking like one person, trying to reach a building site to clear it.

Currently there are no differences between the normal branch and the experimental branch, except that logs are written on the experimental (Which can actually lead to it being slower if there's some kind of infinitely repeating error the computer is having to write to the log file every frame), so main should actually generally run better.

Pathfinding issue's we're not cataloguing at the moment as we're reworking the whole system, which should hopefully fix a lot of the problems people have been having. For issues like the one you're describing you'll unfortunately have to rely on in game tools to alleviate the problem. Telekinesis is your best bet, as you can sometimes use it to reset the pathfinding on a single nugget. However, it doesn't work all the time, is tedious to use, and uses CP that leads to nugget Fear (Which if you're doing a Fear run, is a bonus I suppose) meaning we recognize it's not ideal.

Hopefully soon we'll have some brand spanking new revamps to fix it all, but until then we'll all have to get by with what we've got. :(

On 4/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, Magecoerlin said:

Currently there are no differences between the normal branch and the experimental branch, except that logs are written on the experimental (Which can actually lead to it being slower if there's some kind of infinitely repeating error the computer is having to write to the log file every frame), so main should actually generally run better.

Figured I'd check output_log, and its 100k+ lines of "Path Failed NuggetFemale/MaleBaked(Clone)" :lol:

Doubt it has a mayor impact, but there's no timestamps so don't know the frequency. Guess I'll swap to main branch for now.

Is there a point in reporting pathfinding problems on current public release?

I've got i.e. a building that can never be finished b/c no supporters can reach it, even though it's just close to other buildings (no mountains etc.). .. it's been in construction for 100 years.