Etarnalazure

Memory leak, 8gb ram in 10min, found possible cause

Build version is the latest: 0.0.30.23498
Serverity: 4

Description:
RAM usage spikes as the game wore on, I always figured it was because entities didnt get properly clean up (and it might still be that), however, as I was messing around in my latest save

with around 280 nuggets and 3 exile villages of about 20-40 in each village, I managed to make the ram usage spike colossally, as in, it went from 6gb ram to 8gb ram within seconds.

For the record, this is not what causes ALL spikes in ram usage, as sometimes my ram usage is skyhigh without doing this first.

Basically, I had 900 or so creator points, so I started spamming regrow (The tree spell) I dumped about 800 mana into creating trees to try and get some of the 40 nuggets that didnt believe in my to be like "Oh my god, a tree! There has to be a god!".

Anyway, I dont know exactly how many trees I created each time, but I'd assume around 5 trees per spell, the ram usage jumped by about 50mb ram each time I used the spell. I had been wondering what caused the spikes in ram for a while and I couldnt seem to figure out why, I thought it might have been something like objects not being cleared from memory after they're no longer in view, but I could never seem to make the ram usage increase by much flying around the world aimlessly.

Side note: I have noticed similar  with other spells, for example, when predators are near I tend to strike them with lightning and then use rain to put out any potential fires, I noticed the ram would increase by a little bit, but I figured it would simply go down again after a while, however now that I've been doing the tree thing, it does make sense that all spells have the same result in ram usage.

Reproduction: Spam the regrow spell or other spells and you should see the ram usage rise. I'd suggest using the tree spell since thats the one I used since its cheap and thus easy to spam.

Another small bug I've noticed that arent gamebreaking but still its a bit of a silly one, so I figured I'd mention it.

If you kill an animal with thunder and then use the rain spell on the corpse, or some reason the rain cloud interacts with the collision box of the animal and the animal will float 50 feet in the air and stay there until it despawns or you interact with it.

Also, for some reason the options menu does not save the zoom setting, it always starts on the highest setting, the rest of the settings are saved fine.

output_log.txt

For some reason I cannot upload m save, keeps saying something happened and then giving me "-200" (I guess thats an error code)

There, fixed:
https://anonfile.com/A358F8u0b5/rawr5_sav

Hey eternalazure, I've been looking into this, and yes we're having RAM spikes, but from my testing it doesn't seem like a leak. I've gotten to very high usages, but then usually had it let go of the memory after a while, including the tree power, which is a known issue (Used to be much worse), but probably won't be looked at right now.

Do you do something special? When the ram usage hits around 8gb I tend to shut the game down and restart it, however, as the game wears on, it it rises back to 8gb ram faster and faster, shortly after I reported the bug I started up my save again, and within 11minutes the ram usage had jumped back up to 8gb.

And while I know that any ram not in usage is wasted ram, I'm just not comfortable running any program that goes from the usual 3-4gb ram to 8gb ram within minutes, I always fear something going wrong and giving me bluescreen, thus losing my work and potentially damaging my pc.

So yeah, while I have "completed" the game quite a few times at this point (By completed I mean built all the buildings and researched everything), it does annoy me having to give up on a save game I've spent 4-7 consecutive hours on.

So if you devs have some sort og trick to forcefully purging the memory, I'd love to know, because I've tried everything, from turning all the graphics to low to hunting down animals and trees and destroying them to lessen the workload.

Its gotten to the point where I was tempted to crack open the code and see if I could spot what was going on, but frankly, I doubt I'd be able to understand the code without spending hours reading through it, code commentary doesnt get ported when you release a game on Unity.

Either way, I hope you guys will find a way, I've been with you guys since way before Steam even had a page for you guys, and I've enjoyed the game immensely.

Also:

I was just reading some of the other forum posts, Rudolph commented on another thread with this exact issue, however he seem to have gone into way more detail than I have. His comment might be a lot more helpful than mine as he says pretty much the same as me, except more concise and adds even more information.

(Its the one reply on the post, not the post itself.)

we have seen the post yes , I myself have a similair issue with the spamming the forestation spell. my ram cranks up high and then I have sometimes a  CTD.

I already suggested to put a limit on god power use , cause it seems te stabilize itself after using the powers. I think all powers shoulld be having an cool down.

I know the cooldown is the amount of cp points you have , but still . Powers that spawn things and really do some massive impacts , make them have a cool down period of 5 min. that way the system ./ game can stabilize itself by going back to normal.

I do not think the game has a memory leak , but I do see many things happening that the game cannot handle or was not suspecting. They have explained that , that they cannot predict all what we do in the game but many things make NRE errors (AKA null on request , it is a game breaking happening that is making the  game stutter , keep the nuggets from moving etc.

Also keep in min , as in of this patch (the experimental patch) logging has been enabled.. This means your game has much more to do . In the upcomming patch , they try to make the logging a choice in how you start the game. Maybe add an extra startup mode AKA debugging mode for people to bug test the game. Who knows..

Until then I just want them go onward with the game and let us get into space. Most people dont have the bugs. Only a handful are encountering that. I  think they should start debugging and balancing the game when the game is done. Sure big game breaking bugs should be tackled ASAP. but ones that not all have should not be a first priority.

I am going to create a poll  and I want to see who is really having bugs and who can play the game normally , cause most of  the time you only hear people shouting with issues of the game. People who can play the game. well they are not complaining.

So dont get me wrong , if I had those issues I would also want them to be fixed , but for me the bigger and longer picture is important tot me as well. and that is to have a game that is done and a game that was promised to us in the kickstarter. So let us shoot our nuggets intospace.. then do the balancing / making the game run smoother etc.

But thank you for reporting.

I dont really have lag, as I said, the ram usage just spikes, even without the usage of powers, though that is mainly in late game, I donno if it has to do with my setup, but my ram usage never seems to go down more than 100-200mb before it then rises by 300mb etc.

Again, as I said, i dont have lag, its just my own fear of a blue screen that causes me to restart the game over and over when it reaches 8gb ram usage.