whywhynotnow

game lags/skips

my game has begun doing a lot of lagging, skipping lately. i had trouble uploading the save file if that is what's needed so here is a link to it as well as video showing the lag files

EDIT- restarting fixed it but could very well start again

It will start again. Guessing the lag comes from GC struggling with memory leaks - easiest way to force it is Create Tree god power. For the devs, if you up 'maxRange' and 'treesPerUnit' it will further exacerbate and hopefully make it easier to debug -

In 29.22386 I saw 50ish MB per use of Create Tree. With maxRange 11 and treesPerUnit 15 it was 100-150MB per use.

In 30.23398 I see 100-200MB per use of Create Tree. With maxRange 11 and tressPerUnit 15 it is 200-500MB(Not sure why it varies so wildly) per use. Worst max seen so far is the game starting to force swapping as it hit 27.9GB working set and not releasing it back. Problem is its so easy to hit this limit even with default values, since these leaks also exist with building creation and flora manipulation(Guessing Actors as well, but much harder for me to track). Was present in 29.22386 as well, but many-fold times worse in 30.23398.

yes the god powers should be balanced , I have also seen this godpower making my game crash more then once.. But the fun thing is. As soon as you spam that power.. and leave it alone.. the memory usage stabilizes and goes down again.,

I think all god powers should have a cool down of 5 min. That way you give the time for the game to stabilize itself.. Might be a good thing.

I do not think this is a memory leak , it is just how the engine handles the spawning the trees and how it is impacting the game code. Maybe limiting the impact of this power is something they should be looking at as well. But I will point Sasha to this thread also. He wanted to have examples.. Cause he and I did a live stream and he was copying my actions.. Including the spamming trees.. My game froze  up and had a crash to desktop.. his game was fine. So yes.. not all systems have the same issues.

On 2/22/2019 at 6:24 PM, Stronkie said:

yes the god powers should be balanced , I have also seen this godpower making my game crash more then once.. But the fun thing is. As soon as you spam that power.. and leave it alone.. the memory usage stabilizes and goes down again.,

I think all god powers should have a cool down of 5 min. That way you give the time for the game to stabilize itself.. Might be a good thing.

I do not think this is a memory leak , it is just how the engine handles the spawning the trees and how it is impacting the game code. Maybe limiting the impact of this power is something they should be looking at as well. But I will point Sasha to this thread also. He wanted to have examples.. Cause he and I did a live stream and he was copying my actions.. Including the spamming trees.. My game froze  up and had a crash to desktop.. his game was fine. So yes.. not all systems have the same issues.

The reservation is not released afterwards but keeps reserving more and more, that is the definition of a memory leak. I've personally not seen the game release after discard, rather continue until swapping takes place at which point I've restarted since it starts affecting the rest of the system(never had a hard-crash). Given my observations I'd say don't focus too much on god powers, its a red herring. I only mentioned it as something easily repeatable to use during debugging and that I've payed enough attention to give proper numbers instead of a generic "memory use seems higher now".

The reason this is something you should look closely at is because it affects all aspects of the game as the work space increases. Only wildly guessing that this is caused by the garbage collector but the end result is nuggets not moving/very laggy motion, extremely slow+laggy build-scan(Tudor upgrade), nuggets getting stuck in buildings more frequently and slow designation of nuggets for building/transport/resource collection etc, and no fornication.

yes I agree with you , lets wait for the next update :)