Bloodcrows

Nuggets not reproducing

Hey 

I played +4 times now max i got was 46 nuggets, after that they stop reproducing... there was no issue with food/water or any other requirements... everything was up n running other than happiness which (on the forth attempt) i was using powers to keep them happy.. still never reproduced...

is this a bug or am i doing something wrong?

Most I've gotten before a tornado killed half my people was 160, I just used all my power to force them to fall in love and mate, I had a huge amount of resources so that was never an issue.

I'm having the same problem. Max population I've reached was 47, and then there were more (natural) deaths than births. I have food and water in abundance.

Edit: I've checked up on my nuggets and it appears that 75% is female. No wonder there aren't many new babies.

Something that i noticed, is that when i give them a lot of build orders, they tend to reproduce less. When they have nothing to do, they tend to reproduce more. Try that and tell me.

A curious thing happened to me when my nuggets stopped reproducing I noticed all of them had an education.  I demolished my schools and miraculously there was more nugget making.    It would appear uneducated nuggets get busy more.

When the nuggets are in school they don't seem to ever leave so they can't reproduce until they finish their education.  I have a hypothesis about build orders and work assignments negatively impacting the birthrate that I explored more thoroughly here:

https://forums.crytivo.com/index.php?/topic/57996-struggling-in-wood-production-and-population/

On 3.09.2018 at 9:58 AM, aztuk said:

Something that i noticed, is that when i give them a lot of build orders, they tend to reproduce less. When they have nothing to do, they tend to reproduce more. Try that and tell me.

That's pretty much the issue.

We overwork them.

This is also why they need full autonomy.

I completely agree that this is a major issue.  My population for no apparent reason went from 65 to 24 and literally killed me because all of the buildings started siphoning laborers, making that job essentially a void.  Also, when I went to force reproduce the nuggets, the remaining individuals were all of the same gender.  A complete imbalance that, even if you are the best of players, destroys your colony for no reason.  This issue should certainly be addressed before any new features are rolled out.

52 minutes ago, majik1213 said:

I completely agree that this is a major issue.  My population for no apparent reason went from 65 to 24 and literally killed me because all of the buildings started siphoning laborers, making that job essentially a void.  Also, when I went to force reproduce the nuggets, the remaining individuals were all of the same gender.  A complete imbalance that, even if you are the best of players, destroys your colony for no reason.  This issue should certainly be addressed before any new features are rolled out.

That reason was probably old age, wild animals on a hunt, some disaster or Nuggets being Nuggets :)

Definitely old age .. but if I understand the poster's original concern correctly (and I certainly may be misinterpreting it here), there is an imbalance between death and new life.  I think that, in the absence of a prioritization system (like the one in Oxygen Not Included), the only real way around this issue is to stop building new structures until population rebuilds to a desired number.  If, by accident, the player is too ambitious in building new structures, then the colony will rot away, so save often for now until this issue is resolved!

Two things there.

First: Save is broken, it sometimes stops working entirely.

Second: Death is very balanced, many young people may not know this from school but in the stone ages average lifespan was between 30-40 years, after the discovery of fire and cooking meat that lifespan started to steadily grow. The discovery of fire had SUCH a big impact on humans that it directly influenced our Metabolism, to the length of reducing the length of the Intestines which allowed humans to spend less time chewing food and more time on hunting, gathering and surviving, building huts and making babies.

Just harnessing Fire influenced our lives quite drastically, and it's actually the first of two discoveries that changed humans so much.

The second discovery was wide range communication in the forms of radio waves and internet soon after.

Just wanted to jump. Yes, laborer nuggets or nuggets who are doing fewer things will reproduce more often. So it's a good idea to keep a fair amount of laborers for both reproductive purposes, and to make sure they move around the resources you need to keep everything flowing smoothly. Bouncing off that if you get into a situation where your population is wrecked and your laborers are all reassigned, it's probably best to unassign them so they can reproduce more. One thing that will help a lot with that is the Town Hall, as it lets you set a minimum number of laborers that the game will not auto-assign.

On 9/17/2018 at 3:10 PM, Magecoerlin said:

Just wanted to jump. Yes, laborer nuggets or nuggets who are doing fewer things will reproduce more often. So it's a good idea to keep a fair amount of laborers for both reproductive purposes, and to make sure they move around the resources you need to keep everything flowing smoothly. Bouncing off that if you get into a situation where your population is wrecked and your laborers are all reassigned, it's probably best to unassign them so they can reproduce more. One thing that will help a lot with that is the Town Hall, as it lets you set a minimum number of laborers that the game will not auto-assign.

Thanks for pointing this out.  I really wasn't aware the town hall had any function at all at present.  Are you by chance pointing out those +/- signs next to the governor slot?  If so, then those signs are not labeled and I'm not sure if in this build they have any function (I haven't noticed any difference when playing around with them, for example.).

Those numbers represent the number of laborer or unemployed nuggets / The number of nuggets you don't want autoassigned AKA the minimum number of laborers you want to have. Every nugget above that number will be assigned automatically to any open positions by the Town Hall. There will be tooltips and things to explain this, which we agree we did not introduce well. However, it does currently work in game and we encourage you to use it.

33 minutes ago, Magecoerlin said:

Those numbers represent the number of laborer or unemployed nuggets / The number of nuggets you don't want autoassigned AKA the minimum number of laborers you want to have. Every nugget above that number will be assigned automatically to any open positions by the Town Hall. There will be tooltips and things to explain this, which we agree we did not introduce well. However, it does currently work in game and we encourage you to use it.

The biggest problem with the Town Hall is like with most things in the research screen, by far  and far too late.

The Research screen is in dire need of sorting and dividing into sections if the game is to have a research tab, although as I said before a few times, discoveries would be much more entertaining while the player pushes Nuggets in certain directions.

The town hall should start as the village chief hut early in the stone age once more than 30 nuggets form and should also be a discovery.

But I still am unsure if any of the Developers read through the suggestion changes I proposed. If the game is to be about the player passively pushing nuggets around the research tab is pointless. That tab is sure welcome in the alpha/beta builds to experiment and gather data for AI controlled scenarios, however if the end game is to give Autonomy to the nuggets then a system of discoveries would be much more entertaining because it would mean the player is using their powers to direct the nuggets in certain directions.

You could even implement the exclusion system like with the turbines.

It would be nice to know someone actually reads those things.

We are reading the forums, yes and the suggestions are appreciated. The reason for the placement of the town hall and it's purpose is to simulate nuggets becoming more autonomous from the player as they progress through technology.

1 hour ago, Magecoerlin said:

We are reading the forums, yes and the suggestions are appreciated. The reason for the placement of the town hall and it's purpose is to simulate nuggets becoming more autonomous from the player as they progress through technology.

I can understand that but it's by far way too late in the game, town hall should be an Upgrade to a Village Chief and the autonomy of the nuggets is nearly nonexistent.

I can understand that at this point you simply gather data for the best autonomy of the Nuggets, but if the game remains this way in the end game then there won't be any autonomy and players that backed this game will feel completely disappointed.

My suggestions solve most of the issues, but there are probably more pressing matters on hand like games not saving or being stuck in save state.

Some of the buildings are pointlessly too far in the research tabs, the watchtower for example is probably only useful if the Exiles become hostile since it's purpose against wild animals is nonexistent because a single nugget cannot hold off a pack of wolves, which are the only hostile animals from what I can tell.

Watchtowers should be a separate research and not necessary for further research other than upgrading it into an outpost.

Many research points are simply wrong in the order of things.

Which is yet another point towards Discoveries system instead of Research, Discoveries can be stimulated by the player, some ahead of times and some just as the Nuggets need them, this would encourage the player to interact with Nuggets on a more subtle level, inspire them instead of tell them what to do.

Placing buildings also seems counterproductive for autonomy, nuggets should build what they can when they need most, if not enough water then they build another water pump and so on.

Doing things for them is not autonomy but yet another economy/strategy game.

I am lucky to have Black and White 2 and I am still playing that game, and I can say that if Autonomy is the goal for this game it can really be much better than that one.

And I hope it will because this is so much fun.

3 hours ago, Magecoerlin said:

Oh thanks for pointing that out!  Yea as you said it isn't yet clear but great to know it is functional.  I wonder if there is a magic ratio of laborers to total population to have at any given time, though I doubt it stays fixed given the dynamic needs of the society.  

That's what I'm saying though, is that autonomy for nuggets will increase as you progress through the game. That's why the minister system is being developed and why the town hall was introduced. When you start out, you have to do everything, and eventually set the nuggets up to be more self sufficient. Are you familiar with the ministers stuff? It's more or less to have nuggets do exactly what you described; when they need water, they build more pumps, when they need food, they build more farms and so on. The dev blog I think was from a month or two back, so no worries if you missed it.

I realize that doesn't address your research concerns. That discussion is more for @Sasha than me however.