Full Feedback [GOG version]

I obtained the gog version and I'll agree with many people about the initial stuff.

The graphics are perfect for this game, I'm honestly astonished how well you developed it so far using Unity engine, Even at still such an early state the game runs very smoothly.

However this is feedback post and so I shall feed you back.

I will not talk about bugs, there is a place for those, instead I will talk about some things that are not how they should be and about things that are perfectly well done.

First of all I adore the Nuggets, they are so adorable I could probably have Elu figma on my desk (in all playthroughs Elu is the name of the first female I have).

I like how fairly realistically some mechanics work, for example the aging of the Nuggets, according to anthropologists, our ancestors rarely lived longer than 38 years, which in this games case is true until you research some more stuff that allows your Nuggets to live somewhat longer (fire, hunting improvements etcetera)

I love the humor in this game so far but there are problems.

First of all, the abundance of getting sick from water drinking, I never get to stand long enough without a Nugget getting sick, I spend my powers on healing and soon after I have to spend them again on another one (or the same one) This is highly frustrating as normally this wouldn't happen, people back them would learn to not drink directly from the lake, I had like four or five wells built and upgraded.

The game doesn't tell statuses to the player, I can understand how energy status looks like, how happiness looks like but when I click on the Nugget I should know if they are afflicted by an illness, have a fracture or have any other status diminishing affliction.

Corner reports tell me that houses are in bad shape or a nugget is sick, fine, I understand, however I cannot zoom in on the building that needs repairs so I don't know which one it is that requires immediate attention. Sure I can use the button on the top to see all buildings and check which one is about to collapse but that's not the point in an emergency.

Most of the user interface buttons or objects have no tooltips, which tells players nothing about what they represent and what are they looking at.

The weather forcast and calendar are not very helpful, I admit knowing when a wind storm is coming is nice, but I can't understand how the calendar works and where it has the CURRENT calendar state.

I can see it moving but it doesn't help me much when I can see that a drop in temperature is coming but I can't figure out when it will hit since every year it happens in a different moment on the UI, the scale is nice but an indicator would be nice.

Nuggets are defenseless for far too long.

It's great that we can research their watchtowers so they can defend against wild animals trying to hurt them, but that is by far  too late in the game, the nuggets should be able to defend from the start and the watchtowers should simply greatly improve that defense instead of just introducing it, even our ancestors knew how to defend against packs of wolves, you pick a bone or a big branch and swing it around until you hit one, then you keep swinging it, and never move around alone. This game, for a survival and economy simulation completely ignores it, even frostpunk developers took into account that you can't survive on your own. 

Day/Night cycles and breeding.

The way the Nuggets breed is really shown in a simple way, this is actually really fun, however there is a slight problem. I'm going to omit the problem with incest, instead I will ask that the game started with four Nuggets instead of two and slow down the day/night cycle by around 20%, also the season changes are too rapid. 

Another problem with the Nuggets is the belief in the creator, making them believe in the player takes quite a lot of work all things considering that the amount of believers represents the speed at which the player can use their powers, for good or worse. At the start of the game I am asked to baptise the first kids, I do that but that doesn't clear the objectives every time. I have to spend a lot of power points on getting materials to help build buildings but despite my best efforts giving me around 5 minutes to do so after I spent my power to heal a Nugget asking for the impossible especially since when I put the tree or stone into the green zone perfectly well shown in the system, the material looks to not be delivered at all.

And now the biggest issue with buildings.

When selecting a building to construct the space around it is designated and it HUGE in comparison to how the building takes place, it wont be a stretch to say that the buildings have 50% bloated required space around them to be placed for buildings. In addition the buildings are so designed that Nuggets sometimes get stuck inside them forever, you have to pry them out with your powers and hope you get them out, and then hope that you can put them down without killing them because the game doesn't seem to know the height.

Research tables are quite wrong in the way they are designed and what they represent, for example, by the time you safely get to mining is already quite late in the game as your Nuggets are already low on anything remotely close to fulfill the building material requirement, as a matter of fact I don't understand why we get the refined wood and stone buildings when the materials they produce are not even required to be used in a long time ahead, not to mention the sheer size of the buildings taking far too much space and also being so big they can't be placed near a warehouse or a material source because the placement zone is so big.

The Temple is non-interractable, this means you can only hope there will be anything known about it, even it's construction is broken, requires zero materials and has no construction progress indicator, it only says it's being constructed. After it being completed it can't be clicked as well.

I left the biggest thing I would like to see in the end product done for last.

It has been said numerous times, even on these forums, that apart from being called the creator, the game treats us as another commander or colony supervisor from the get go.

The only thing we create is the universe, wit ha single click. 

What I would like to see is the player being able to literally spawn Nuggets at the expense of power points.

The game should start with the player having 100 power points and creating 4 Nuggets for 50 power points per a pair. The worship points should grow much faster, but there should be a limit to how many the player can have, and that limit is based on how many worshippers the player has, in addition creating Nuggets should have a cooldown with 2 charges, and each "Create Nuggets" power use uses up a charge and 50 power points and creates a male and a female with a full cooldown being a full season. Of course the created Nuggets believe in their creator automatically.

This game has many roots, Black and White, Spore, Creatures. Those are still wonderful games and beloved by many myself included.

I would like to see this game developed according too the developers ideas, but I would also like to have this game function properly and according to some logic that makes things, even divine, more understandable.

And please make the Wolves not jump at Nuggets from like 50 meters, and let them build fences, replace the Watchtowers research with Defencive Buildings research and give the players a chance of building more tight villages, put some roads into the matter and some simple fences. The Nuggets will thank you.

Hola!

On 9/2/2018 at 1:31 AM, 4685578525 said:

First of all, the abundance of getting sick from water drinking, I never get to stand long enough without a Nugget getting sick

I haven't encountered this problem this patch, I did had problems with the earlier ones, the thing here is to place the well smart and build enough of them so they have time to fill back up, also consider building 2-4 eateryes (considering the size of ur tribe) that way you'll have no problems (I also got the first 2 well upgrades as soon as I could, knowing the issue). At this point I think it's a matter of management (tough it could be a problem with the AI, but im pretty sure they fixed this issue).

And now the biggest issue with buildings.

I don't know if you noticed, but there are too dotted lines for the buildings, first is the actual building size, the second is the size it will be after the upgrade, that's why it takse so much space, so you don't encounter the issue where you can't upgrade ur buildings cuz of the lack of space:D

Nuggets are defenseless for far too long.

They have an "allmighty" god overseeing them :)). I got attacked by a wolf, he took out 2-3 nuggets till I pinnpointed him and threw him in a lake, it was supposed so that the wolfs wouldn't atack so violently (it's not as it was in the last patch, but still that wolf went rampage on my nuggets, there were 2-3 occasions when my nuggets strayed too far, and the wolves ate theyr asses). Concerning this issue, I think that should be something done to the research tree, the problem is that you have a hard time getting to know what you need the most, you have to get ur reservoir till the first winter, but also have to build ingeneers hut so you don't lose buildings, at this point you have to get some more food for ur tribe, a forecast tower and bunkers, and water pumps and towers, and hospital cemitery and so on. Point is you need too many things early on and you don;t have the time to research them...

The Temple is non-interractable

I think this one we'll see coming soon, I also tryed to actualy do something with the temple, but I had no succes...

give the players a chance of building more tight villages

It's a lot more tighter now, I actualy like it, I think the game has to get to the point of modern age, to compact the villages into cityes...

This is my oppinion in the points you adressed.

Have fun playing the game, and try something new every time, I always discover something fun and interesting every time I play it, I'm realy looking forward to see how this game develops:D, it sure isn't complete and has issues to be solved, but they sure work hard and are passionate about it (from what I've seen so far).

Keep up with the good feedbacks! Thanx for your post!

I can't do much when I have 60 Nuggets and only 10 followers and no way to impress them, the way to impress them is connected with displaying your power but try as I might I can't do anything when I have no power to use.

10 Nuggets give approx 1 power point every 50 seconds, and I am not almighty god if I have 10 nuggets believing in me despite all my efforts.

The Nuggets statuses don't show which is my follower and which is not, this should be attended to as well.

I made some upgrades to buildings and yo and behold the actual size of the building does NOT depict the lines you speak about, most of them actually shrink like the well upgraded is actually smaller, same with reservoir. 

I am also shocked that despite getting access to so many excellent technological upgrades, the Nuggets still live in stone huts for quite a long time, that is unacceptable, I mean, they gave metal, wood and gas and a lot of buildings currently look pretty impressive, except for their homes.

Their homes also prove that the size of the buildings placed by the player is bloated, look at how neatly the Nuggets can place their stone huts.

Farms are among the HUGEST plot takers during placement, I upgraded them but their size didn't increase yet they take a HUGE amount of placement space.

One other problem with this game is the inability to rotate the buildings for placements, Stone huts don't seem to follow a strict rule, but I was never able to rotate the buildings I try to place.

I love the way the game works and I hope that in the end game there will be opposing tribes and aliens, I was even able to click on some shining objects in the night sky and it turns out they are planets mostly, I hope the Deluxe edition comes with a figure of Elu cuz she looks the best every time <3

Edited by 4685578525
Addendum

The space around the buildings are meant for upgrades and roads... there needs to be space around the building for roads to generate.. for houses its not as big of a deal as if they upgrade in the future and their upgrade would conflict with another home that home becomes a home for 2 families instead (like apartment buildings) so that is why the homes can be closer together cus their upgrades can apparently merge with nearby homes to create bigger buildings housing more nuggets.

17 hours ago, 4685578525 said:

I can't do much when I have 60 Nuggets and only 10 followers and no way to impress them

I agree, I didn't manage to impress nuggets either, they only get scared when they see rocks flying, and they don't notice when they miraculously gorw back an broken bone... they'll probabbly twich with the beliefe sistem in the updates to come:D.

I haven't checked the size change of the buildings when you upgrade them, but I assume that's the purpose of the second dotted line, @Sasha, Isn't it?

One thing about upgrades I really like is that once upgraded it applies to future buildings.

However I also found a problem with food supply, especially with farms.

Having to feed 60 Lovely Nuggets even with 3 farms and 5 eateries is really straining the area, in addition inability to farm other plants properly after farm upgrades is really annoying, a normal farm might have problems with fruits like Dragon fruit which is kind of mountainous, but an upgraded farm should be able to change soil to any type to improve crops.

I have 3 farms and Diarrhea fruit yields 16 crops and it's the default crop in any case, placing the farm on mountain soil didn't improve crops for mountain fruits as well, while initially that was my belief that if you put the farm on the right soil it will yield better results.

As far as the farm goes I must ask this, will you allow to place farm on water as well for fish colonies ? I think that would be a pretty interesting solution after having 3 fisheries that give moderate to minimal results, a fish farm would drastically improve yield.

This is further pushing my worry about the research system, it needs to me more divided into specializations and sections in each tab.

In the end I thought that just having separate tabs for each type of research area is not enough, it requires specializations and division of research, it shouldn't be restricted to only 1 research at the time. There should be a building that lets divide research and devote Lovely Nuggets to commit to research in those buildings, for example 2 Nuggets research Water Wells and 2 Nuggets research a Farm or Hunting tools both at the same time.

Also I find it kind of annoying that when I toss a mammoth in the middle of the village they don't scavenge it for food, it's such a waste, we should teach them to not waste food.

So here comes another suggestion.

After researching Shamanism, implement TEACHINGS system.

Allow me to explain.

The teachings system would allow using Shamans or Witch Doctors as Nuggets refer to them at that state, to spread the Creators Doctrine.

The doctrine would have different effects depending on doctrine implemented. And selecting one doctrine prevents from using a different one.

For example, Respecting nature would implement an effect that Nuggets would be able to research Ritual Hunting in the Hunting Section, Ritual Hunting would give 20% bigger Yield but would take longer to perform, Hunters hut would receive an upgrade to transform into a bigger place where hunters meet and prepare for the great hunt, Hunters will also be more successful and suffer injuries much less often.

Similarly a doctrine called Survival Hunting would bring 20% less yield but be much faster, the hunters would hit harder their prey but they would be more frantic about it and go to another prey before returning home, they would injure themselves more often but never die during a hunt, food yield from hunting would be 50% bigger in the end in one go but it will take them longer to recuperate. The building would receive a specific looking upgrade with animal trophies and Hunters will often need to go to the doctor before going on another hunt.

I find this to be an interesting concept that will be more successful as the evolution of the Nuggets will move onward.

You have realy awesome ideas, there's a thread with the devs for such ideas, you should share your ideas there, might help out the devs. Also, for this update, I managed to keep up with the food production for a 80-100 nuggets tribe with 2 fisheries (upgraded!), 2 farms on forest soil with acorns (they are the best in my oppinion they offer plenty food in less time compared to other) and 1 farm on grass soil (or what ever was the name of the soil), oh and the hunting lodge, always had food in stocks. Forgot to mention 4 restaurants (upgraded eaterys) in the 4 corners of my tribe. This is the curent archive I'm playing. I know it takes a lot of time, but try other things also, might work out, and watch your nuggets also, some nuggets tend to get lazy and ur crops don't grow, or they make love instead of fishing XD. My real problem that I haven't solved in any of my games yet is the water for winter in the latter stages, it always run out too soon, and my tribe stops working for hlaf or 1/4 of the winterXD

I do agree with the research panel, it needs some twitching, that's why I sayed you should bring your ideas to the ideas thread XD.

Hey, just wanted to jump in and explain a few things:

1. Certain buildings are taking up more space as they are upgraded, the farm being the most notable example. If you pay close attention to the different versions, you can see it getting bigger to accommodate more fields. More fields leads to a bigger yield, which is why the food capacity increases.

2. Crop type is about water usage, not yield. If you try to grow a crop in an area it's not native to, it will demand more water usage to get the same amount of food.

3. You actually can rotate buildings with Q and E

4. Nugget homes do become upgraded into tudor houses in the medieval age and are slowly shifted from the stone huts into these houses that can hold many families at once

We share several of your other concerns. Don't have time to respond to them all, but wanted to clear up the above points to give you a more enjoyable experience when you play

1. In my opinion, buildings should be the same size no matter the update and the design should be the only thing changing. Except for the huts, the way they merge is something that they did well. I'm sure you can have good design without changing the building size.

I tried Q and E but didn't work, maybe I'll reinstall and try again.

Nuggets get lazy when they are losing happiness, this is where the fun buildings are for with recreation research, I had a fast food, beautician and some stuff probably possible but I only had those two happen.

3 hours ago, Serbanescu said:

You have realy awesome ideas, there's a thread with the devs for such ideas, you should share your ideas there, might help out the devs. Also, for this update, I managed to keep up with the food production for a 80-100 nuggets tribe with 2 fisheries (upgraded!), 2 farms on forest soil with acorns (they are the best in my oppinion they offer plenty food in less time compared to other) and 1 farm on grass soil (or what ever was the name of the soil), oh and the hunting lodge, always had food in stocks. Forgot to mention 4 restaurants (upgraded eaterys) in the 4 corners of my tribe. This is the curent archive I'm playing. I know it takes a lot of time, but try other things also, might work out, and watch your nuggets also, some nuggets tend to get lazy and ur crops don't grow, or they make love instead of fishing XD. My real problem that I haven't solved in any of my games yet is the water for winter in the latter stages, it always run out too soon, and my tribe stops working for hlaf or 1/4 of the winterXD

I do agree with the research panel, it needs some twitching, that's why I sayed you should bring your ideas to the ideas thread XD.

Your water issues in winter come from 2 things:

1-The amount of water you "produce". I have 5 upgraded water pumps and 8 upgraded water reservoirs. Water is never an issue for me, half way through summer only one water pump operates cuz the reservoirs are full and the rest just jump in when something happens in one of the buildings. This should solve your water issues.

It's actually the only way to support up to 100 nuggets but depending on your buildings you might need more water pumps and up to 10 reservoirs.

2-Your reservoirs are probably stacked near each other, keep in mind the distance from the water well or wells doesn't matter, the water is transported to the reservoirs and buildings via the POWER OF GODS DESIGN :D

Keep in mind that in summer the water evaporates from the storage so the pumps will pump more of it, if you worry about the water drainage you can disable the reservoirs until late summer, early autumn (or how the narrator calls it, stressful time for trees) you enable reservoirs and the water pumps will fill them up. It is also a good idea to spread widely the reservoirs, at least close enough for nuggets to get to it and also put wells near them, for some reason the AI for nuggets just goes in the direction of the well and solves the drinking problems during winter and you should put a few reservoirs near the borders of your tribe so the wanderers get to water faster. "Spreading the goods" tactics.

As for dropping my ideas to the devs, I'll think about it some more, maybe compile it in a PDF and post in a file.

Thanx for the insight, indeed the reservoirs are stacked together and I had 3 reservoirs and 6 water pumps (all upgraded) I'll try it out the way you sayed:D

I started a new game to see if I'm correct, I had to reinstall the game and now the building rotations work.

I placed 12 reservoirs on the outskirts of the village and I built 8 water pumps before I started upgrades, I upgraded wells though with dowsing which helped out a great deal, placing teh wells pretty much every 4th building was a good idea and now the only problem seems to be entertainment which is on the way :)

The Cemetery worries me though, in ancient times people were both burring and burning their departed, there should be 2 ways to solve that, maybe I'll add that to my suggestion list.

This also gave me all sorts of ideas on how to influence Nuggets without placing buildings.

3 hours ago, 4685578525 said:

The Cemetery worries me though, in ancient times people were both burring and burning their departed

At the cemetery they do burn the dead, they burn them when the cemetery runs out of space and or probabbly when the family of the dead nugget wants it, if you check the building you'll see it consumes wood, and it has a pyer:D

For crosses and stuff.

I will incorporate cemetery into my faith and order doctrines to select burial or burning, if you select burial it will take a lot of space and it will grow on it's own, if you select burning the cemetery will be only as big and will not grow, this will enable an upgrade to Archive where a second Nugget will work and collect data on departed Nuggets.

The Save function of the Archive should have been operated from the Temple anyway. The Archive should contain information about Nuggets and research/doctrines results as well as events logs such as occasional discoveries.