Sign in to follow this  
aztuk

Struggling in wood production and population

Hello,

I've been doing a few games now, reaching up to end of medieval age. But i always encounter the same problems :

Wood production

I end up having chopped all the wood around my village. Nuggets won't go looking for more wood if there's no nearby buildings. Building lumbermills doesn't help as it's just a building to force nuggets going on the forest and get surrounding wood. The building is excessively expensive for what you get from it. When i built the lumbermill for the first time, i thought it worked like the stone mine, but no.

Plus, the tree doesn't grow back or if they do, i 've never seen it.

Population

People die quicker than they born when reaching around 100 population. I don't know why but i keep having the same number of babies. I spend all my god powers with cupidon but it doesn't help. Once i see a big number like 11 babies, i am happy and all. But there comes a freakin tornado or wolves. You simply can't protect all your nuggets from these events. I tried ringing the alarm 5 minutes before but there were still deaf nuggets walking to their death. Wolves is the same, they are way too aggressive. They can kill 5 nuggets before you spot them. Towers don't help much either. The news system should have a button to spot the location of the events.

I am currently down to 65 people from the previous 100. And 1 baby borns when 2 elders die. I really don't know what i am doing wrong. (happiness, food, water, electricity, everything is ok ...)

I can't even reach over 40 population. I have food and water in abundance, but every time I reach about 40, my nuggets start to die of old age much faster than I get new nuggets. Then you get down to 20 nuggets and its as good as over. 

Yes there might be a hidden variable that effect the birth rate. Someone has the info ?

I just had insane amount of food and water, I get the whole wood thing but there are still massive amounts of wood in the surrounding area's I just found that building a lumber mill semi far away but near a forest works I also put a watchtower there to keep them save, My population was at 160 before a savage tornado dropped it to 80 now i'm back at 140, I use every god point I can on cupid and it seems to work fine for me, Happiness is also okay if you use a bunch of businesses.

I think I know what the issue with population is, not sure if this is intentional on the part of the game designers, or just a side effect of how the game works.

It seems like the nuggets only reproduce when they have enough free time, and things like build tasks and job assignments cut down on their ability to do so - they still reproduce but they will do slow more slowly, and the population will take a hit.  It looks like having excessive builds is the main way to stop them from reproducing.  These suck up nugget time, make them grumpy, tired, and cause injuries - all of these prevent them from mating.  Also, nuggets WILL NOT reproduce while they are studying in school.  Additionally, I've noticed that the population will start shrinking when more than 40% of the nuggets are assigned (kind of a low number imho), and it will usually be growing when fewer than 30% of the nuggets are assigned  (you have to go through your lists and count these numbers yourself).  Between 30% and 40% the population slowly rises or falls.  Once the population starts falling dramatically you can enter into a death spiral because unassigned nuggets automatically become assigned and the birthrate decreases even further.  Couple this with the fact that the older nuggets are ageing out and the bodies will start piling up.  Another thing that can trigger it is lots of upgrades, like when they start building tudor houses the birthrate plunges.

I've managed to pull out of a death spiral twice, but the population will continue to fall for a while even after corrective measures.  Here's what I would do to stop the bleeding, in order (only progress to the next step if the problem isn't solved within 10 minutes or the population continues plummeting):

1.  Stop all new construction tasks - these suck up precious reproduction time, and once they're built they often create new assignments (the only possible exception is the entertainment (forget what its called) building if you don't already have some because it doesn't create new assignments, it's small, and it cures nugget depression, another potential weight on reproduction)
2.  Reduce the staff at all buildings to just one nugget
3.  Shut down non-essential nugget buildings, completely lay off staff at refineries and mines - you're not building anything...
4.  Shut down excess farms and fisheries - you don't need to feed as many nuggets, and I find these tend to produce surplus food anyway

5.  Go down to one school
6.  Shut down all buildings except for engineers, cemetaries, and eateries
7.  Start demolishing unused nugget houses, try to consolidate around a small number of engineers so you can use less infrastructure and get away with fewer engineers
8.  Go down to just one chef at one eatery if not there already
9.  Start laying off engineers and repeat step 7 as needed.

While this is annoying, and I'm assuming unintentional it does add a level of strategy of the game, and I don't think is necessarily a problem.

As for the wood production, I have the same problem, my nuggets have deforested half the planet and it doesn't seem to grow back.  I think this can compound population issues because they need to walk further for resources, which means less reproduction time.

I don't need these steps and i'm currently at 170 population.

The steps are only if your population starts falling.  If your population has never fallen, there is no point to taking these steps, though I am curious how many of the 170 nuggets are assigned.

I got my nugget population up to 220.Its very hard keeping a balance.....one day its at 220 ,people start to die from old age and I am down to 100. For me, everytime there is a die off in population, its half or more than half the population. Its very hard to recover even with god powers

My hope / expectation in regards to the rapid deforestation of the plant will be handled as game production continues with additional technologies. Such as an update to the lumber mill that allows for replanting of trees around the area.  

That is already planned sigard... if you look at the research tree there is an option listed for reforestation... but its not implemented yet... same with the god power to do the same.. just not implemented...

this will be important later as lack of trees = lack of oxygen and the planet could die... which will be a thing in this game... having to flee a dieing planet if you don't take care of it.

On 9/10/2018 at 2:37 AM, Adrianna said:

That is already planned sigard... if you look at the research tree there is an option listed for reforestation... but its not implemented yet... same with the god power to do the same.. just not implemented...

this will be important later as lack of trees = lack of oxygen and the planet could die... which will be a thing in this game... having to flee a dieing planet if you don't take care of it.

@Adrianna can you tell me where you found the "reforestation" technology in the tech tree?  I'm so dumb and cannot seem to find it :\

It doesnt really matter as its not implemented in the game yet but if you look near the modern technologies in the list there is a reforestation option... its just not part of the game yet.