Sign in to follow this  
Elliander

Updater/Server Bug

So, I decided to play the Universim again tonight and it said a patch was available. I clicked to update and... well, see the attached error. I noticed the error was triggered on some "network problem" but there wasn't one on my end, which makes me wonder if there is a server strain issue right now. Shouldn't the launcher be capable of throwing something more meaningful than a fatal error in this case?

Also, why isn't there a way to bypass updating when an update is available? 

universim_error.png.e8b47dc6d5ede934ff544192593a5386.png

Usually, this error happens when something (like antivirus software) blocks access to the file which patcher tries to update.

Also this happens when the game is still running, but user tries to update the game files.

Finally, this happens when patcher was unable to fetch data from the update server.

Can you, please, send me the log file named "launcher-debug.log" in the directory, when you installed the game to tech at crytivo dot com? 

But, please, compress it with zip as it can be huge.

Also, it is possible to bypass updates by launching the game directly - go to the directory where you installed the game and run "The Universim.exe" :)

In my case, there is no antivirus or firewall running (they are more trouble than they are worth). The game wasn't already running, and the internet access was fully functional. Unfortunately, and I have no idea why, but launcher-debug.log is empty. 0 KB in size. So either logs were never created, or they were overwritten. More likely, it was overwritten. When I check the properties, the file was last updated last night when I was finally able to update. It was created when I first installed the game. (If you still want it, I can send it, but date information might change and there's nothing useful inside the file)

So, there seems to be a bug as well that when an update occurs successfully, the log file is cleared. That's not good. 
If the issue happens again in the future I'll remember to save that log file before it's overwritten. 

I did try bypassing, to run the game directly, but unfortunately that didn't work. It works right now (I just tested it), but last night it crashed trying to load with a very long error message and I neglected to copy that. It seems to be the case that if an update starts, but doesn't complete successfully, the game can't be loaded at all until an update completes successfully. Good to know for future reference at least.

Sign in to follow this