Sign in to follow this  
Fumpis

Extremely insane CPU usage

Trying to run this game, at first everything was going great. Playing 1440p and reached 100 population then suddenly I started stuttering really badly. Dropped to 1920x1080, didn't change anything. Checked out my CPU usage and it was 80-95%. Now even when I kill off people to 60-70 population I'm still stuttering and reaching insane temps up in the 80's C. It's borderline unplayable because I fear my CPU is going to explode. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there any suggestions for how to optimize this or make it run better on my end? It's literally 55 degrees Fahrenheit in my room and as soon as I close it my CPU drops to 30C. 

My current set up is:

I7 7700

GTX 1070 

ASRock Z270

Samsung SSD 850 EVO

First off, If a cpu is at 100% and 80C, you have a cooling issue that you need to solve (clean out your PC, clean out the fans, heat syncs, etc). Any CPU should be able to be LOCKED at 100% and not go much over 70-75C. Either you have a cooling issue, or you overclocked it to fast.

Ive seen others with the 7700 having issues with this game (as well as assassins creed origins). Not sure whats up with the 7700

I'm on an older i7-2600k OCed to 5.1Ghz, and my CPU use never goes over 60-80% in this game

Also make sure you have NOTHING else on your PC using the CPU.. shut down all programs except for the game

We're always working on performance optimization, but the nature of the game is that it is a simulation and processing heavy. That being said, you do seem to experiencing some pretty intense temperature spikes that I cannot account for. It may be as Tallbear suggested and it's an issue in your hardware, but we will look into it regardless as we need to be always making the game run more smoothly anyway. The game definitely shouldn't be running that hot on more recent hardware like that and we'll work for it to be better.

The 7700 is also made to run hot... It's max safe limit is 100C. So actually for THAT CPU, 80C is really not that bad. However, I would look at your cooling set up and clean out your PC

I know this doesn't help with the USEAGE

100% use across all 8 cores would lag anygame along with your system

As I said make sure NOTHING else isn't running

It's always possible this game is doing something WEIRD with the 7700s.. but like ive said, I've seen this issue with the 7700 cpu and other games that hit 100%

One thing the 7700 CAN NOT handle is the Denuvo DRM...there's some bug in that cpu or denuvo.. @Magecoerlin, you guys dont use that DRM do you?

I can confirm this.

I haven't checked the temps yet but my i7 8700k cooled by Noctua d15s tower cooler is constantly at very high CPU usages in 1080p.

I've seen some more modern CPUs having high use/high temps with some newer games. I'm not sure why.

I'm running an older i7-2600k at 5.1Ghz. It caps out around 60-70% in the game (unless I have a lot of nuggets)... I'm running at 2560x1600 on a GTX 1080TI

When I hit 200 nuggets, my CPU is about 80% and my FPS drops to 30.. and my GPU use is only 33%

that tells me the CPU is bogged down and lagging the GPU

The game is still just highly unoptimized

Also remember Windows 10 , unlike other versions of windows, uses MEMORY COMPRESSION... this can gobble up to 25% cpu use on an 8 "core cpu" (4 physical, 4 logical)

I highly recommend gamers shut it off

Microsoft did this to help reduce page/swap file use.. but imo it's a poor trade off

start, run, search for powershell.. right click and run it as admin

Disable-MMAgent -mc

this will shut it off (requires you to restart windows)

to turn it back on:
Enable-MMAgent -mc
this will turn it back on (does not need a restart)

Have new cooling and that's not a problem anymore, temps are great. I still remain at 85-95% usage at higher populations. I think I've found a solution for this though, it seems after I got a Town Hall and assigned all my laborers my usage's dropped significantly.

I'm having the same issue while playing on my brand new Surface Book 2! The game was running beautifully when I first started, then once my population hit 20 I noticed a bit of a drag but nothing too terrible and it wasn't constant, and now at around population ~40-45 the game is basically unplayable, it runs slowly when I just observe my nuggets, and it freezes completely for about 10 seconds any time I try to move the camera or place a building. The fan in my computer was able to keep the temperature within the normal range, but I don't want to push it. I'm afraid to even continue playing, I don't want to do anything that could hurt this computer.

The computer runs other games like Sims 4 and Minecraft w/ shaders just fine, it's just this game that doesn't seem to work properly.

Specs:

• 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8650U quad-core processor, 4.2GHz Max Turbo
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 discrete GPU w/2GB GDDR5 graphics memory (on Intel® i7-8650U models)
  • 16GB RAM 1866Mhz LPDDR3

Sign in to follow this