Elliander

Lake sustainability

I noticed something odd about this game: When water is pumped from lakes, or fish extracted from lakes, a number goes down gradually - but never seems to increase. In real life, lakes can be over taxed, but there is also a point of sustainability. So long as you don't take out more than what is replenished naturally it shouldn't increase or decrease, while water should go up after over taxing if you stop extracting for a while.

I tested to see what would happen if I turned off the only pump on a lake, and, well, the water level never returned. Water essentially is treated as a non-renewable resource. which, I guess, it kinda is in real life (sort of), but again only if you aren't sustainable with it.

Now, obviously, the lake capacity is so high that game play wise this doesn't seem like it would affect anything to the player, but in line with a concept of consequences wouldn't it make more sense to lower the maximum threshold of lakes, and put in a built in regeneration rate, and then if the player never extracts enough the levels will never go down, but if the player starts adding more and more pumps to the same lake it would hurt them far more than the current system?

Similarly, I think that it's less than realistic to have the tanks freeze in winter. I mean, yes, water does freeze in winter, but only from the outside in. I actually maintain large tanks of water outside in winter without any issues. Of course, having it above ground does make it more believable, and there are still temperatures which it would freeze solid regardless. In cold climates the best approach is to build the tank so the top of the water level is below the frost line, which would both protect the water from freezing and evaporation. The water is especially cool in the summer time. Build above ground this effect can be partially achieved by mounding against it with dirt and grass.

and speaking of ice, couldn't the fisherman do ice fishing in winter? but with the consequence of being more taxing on the fish population, and more dangerous for the nuggets?

Not sure about the fish but from what I tested way back in some alpha build you could renew the water level of a lake using the Rain god power.

Water can be restored to lakes via the rain power (at lest it works when I just tested it again in the latest version).

As for fish fishery tool tip for number of fish says disable fishing to let fish numbers recover. So I assume it meant to recover over time but no idea if it really active.

Hopefully this has been fixed in the steam release

As of v0.0.25 alpha, if you put 2 upgraded pumps onto a lake/ocean, they will drain water MUCH.. and I mean MUCH faster than rain can restore it. The rain should be refilling about 4-5X more water.

IMO, it should take something like 5+ pumps to really start to have a net negative total