Sign in to follow this  
Magecoerlin

Dev Blog: Nugget Leaders and Law System

Nugget Leaders and Law System

Hello Creators!

Much like any civilization, Nuggets need leaders. These are the best of the best -- or, at least, that’s what their campaign posters say. The most fundamental pursuit of any Nugget is survival, which does not always come easily. As a result, Nuggets typically choose leaders whose agendas will most likely keep everyone alive. Leaders in The Universim will come up with important laws and agendas that can alter your civilization’s evolutionary path and social structure. 

Election Process

Every 2 in-game years, your civilization will vote for the next Leader. There are usually three candidates, and each will bring their own list of laws/changes in the event they are elected. This process will occur with or without your intervention. You can allow Nuggets to choose their own Leaders, or you can weigh in on which you think is best.

Every adult Nugget in your civilization will cast a vote towards the candidate they prefer. Their selection is based on their internal preferences and traits. For example, lazy Nuggets will vote for leaders who promise fewer work hours, while Nuggets who like to eat will vote for candidates who promise more food production.

User interface

In the UI, each candidate will have a list of laws or changes they plan to implement below their names. Every candidate will have their owncolour to distinguish them from their competitors. A voting bar will showcase the voting progress of each candidate, which will indicate who is currently in the lead. In rare cases, candidates might change their proposed laws/changes to something completely different.

1160.jpg

Intervention Process

As a god, you can influence this complex process in a number of ways:

1. Accidents happen: Nuggets are fragile creatures who do not react well to having a boulder dropped on them. Actually, there are many potential accidents that could befall a candidate. Nuggets know all too well that nature is a cruel mistress. Sometimes, Nuggets just happen to spontaneously combust, get struck by lightning, or end up floating through space. It’s a mysterious world they live in.

2. Blessings: Murder isn’t always the answer. There is a far less brutal way of influencing the election process, which involves blessing your preferred candidate. Some downsides do exist, though. Firstly, it will cost you Creator Points. Secondly, it might not work. It can happen that the candidate who is most qualified for the job loses to a chimpanzee, even with your blessing. However, at least blessing Nuggets won’t permanently scar the mental state of those who witness your “accidents”.  

Leader

After the election, the new Leader will continue to enact laws over time. Players will be notified in advance when a Leader plans to enact a new law. (DB* Value on min - max laws per Leader Nugget)
If a Leader dies before their term ends, the community will take a bit of time before electing a new Leader. (DB* Value from min to max time when next election will start)
Leader Nuggets cannot be assigned to any other job. (DB* Min-Max age Nuggets can become a candidate for Leader)

Examples of Laws

• Elderly Assisted Living (Elders mate and eat 2x more and no longer work. 30% chance of elderly couple dying during mating. +2 to Happiness. )
  •  Same-Sex Marriage (+5 to Happiness. Slight decrease in reproduction rate.)
  •  Matriarchy (Only Female Leaders) (All female Nuggets get +5 Might. Females live for +5 years longer on average. Probability of males being born -15%)
  •  Patriarchy (Only Male Leaders) (All male Nuggets get +5 Might. Males live for +5 years longer on average. Probability of females being born -15%)
  •  Child Labor (Nuggets work from when they are children. Causes reduced lifespans (-10 years) and lowered Happiness (-10 Happiness))
  •  Labor Laws - Nuggets only start work after they turn 10. Lifespans +10 years. Happiness +5.
  •  Work Shifts - Nuggets take shifts working. Increases efficiency of buildings (by reducing time that Nuggets are gone to rest/eat) and increases Happiness (+5).
  •  Food for all - Increase the amount of rations per Nugget by double. (Happiness +10. Food consumption +100%.)
  •  Prohibition - Nuggets no longer drink from Eateries. (Happiness -5. Nugget Stamina +5.)
  •  Contraception Ban - Nugget reproduction rate increases. (Reproduction rate +15%, Happiness -5)
  •  Adult Classes - (50% of adults will go to School)
  •  Accelerated Studies (Nuggets spend less time in School, but injury rates increase) (-20% School time, injury rate +15%)
  •  Vaccinations  - Nuggets will get shots to become less prone to disease. (-15% chance of sickness)
  •  Safety Guidelines - Nuggets will become less prone to injury. (-15% chance of injury)
  •  Pollution Control - Reduces pollution by 30%, but players can no longer build factories that pollute.
  •  Medical Aid (Increases healing speed by 15%)
  •  Vacation Time (Nuggets will take X amount of time each year for vacation. Happiness +10.)
  •  Right to arms (Allows Nuggets to own personal weapons. Injury rate +20%, Happiness +5, Wild Animal Attack chance -50%)
  •  Industrialist - Nuggets completely shift away from environmental protection and instead increase production. (Factories +15% efficiency, pollution rate increases by 50%)
  •  Nuclear Testing (In rare cases, Nuclear Facilities can experience a meltdown. However, rocket building +30%)
  •  Water Filtration (+25% to water refill rates, water buildings decay 5% faster)
  •  Pesticides (Farm yields +15%. Sickness rates +5%.)
  •  Fertilization (Farm yields +15%. Happiness -5 due to smell.)
  •  Scientific Focus (Research rate +15%, Creator Point production -15%)
  •  Religious Focus (Creator Point production + 15%, Research rate -15%)
  •  Sanitation (Sickness rate -15%, water usage +15%)

Please note that this feature is a work in progress and will only become available after the Steam release.

THE UNIVERSIM WILL BE AVAILABLE ON STEAM AUGUST 28
MAKE SURE TO ADD THE UNIVERSIM TO YOUR STEAM WISHLIST

https://theuniversim.com/nugget-leaders-and-law-system

On 20.7.2018 at 7:16 PM, Magecoerlin said:

Accidents happen: Nuggets are fragile creatures who do not react well to having a boulder dropped on them.

And if I decide to kill all candidates over and over again? Can I prevent politics at all and instead use commandments? ;)  Or will it crash the game ;) 

I don't know what to think about this system... The first impression is rather ... boring. Some elements should be a player only decision as god. 

As I said in the other topic... The "lazy trait" as example is something not so useful in this kind of game. Talked about the "le cupidon" power needs to be reworked.

I think this whole election process causes too much micromanagement where no micromanagement is needed. You can't avoid the micromanagement if you still want control over your civilization. Commandments that unlock and can be activated to your liking and last for as long as you want, would be a better decision.

Much like any civilization, Nuggets need leaders.

That's why they have a god...

The most fundamental pursuit of any Nugget is survival, which does not always come easily.

That's why they pray to a god for guidance... help and shelter.

Well now I know what to think about this system. It's ungodly and feels wrong and misplaced. Instead of introducing commandments in a temple or something else... which could have the same effects as the "laws"  - god is made optional. It's more like the Stellaris election process for a new leader. Don't get me wrong... I love to play Stellaris or Civilization... But those are not labeled as god games in any way. The politics system is Godmail 2.0... And engineer hut health 2.0. Expected in a god game? No... Expected in a strategy game? Yes.

As Strategy player you can simply ignore commandments if you only want to observe or let the politics do their thing. But as "god game" player you are forced to a ungodly gameplay decision if you can't prevent politics and introduce commandments instead. It's like adding cars to a flight simulator. Totally breaks the immersion.

In contrast to Kerby, I like this system. There is no point in playing god if the people do not have a will and mind of there own. If they did not have these things, (as a god) I would just use robots as they would be better at almost every task. The point of this game is to influence via subtle action the growth of a civilization to one of vast prosperity in one form or another. It is up to the player to decide how subtle (or not) those actions are. The difficulty of the game should basically be how good / bad your civilization is at making it's own choices.  

And if I...

On 7/20/2018 at 12:08 PM, Kerby84 said:

decide to kill all candidates over and over again

The civilization should fall into chaos and die off until they have a small tribe of people (or you stop killing the candidates and dub someone to be "profit candidate" to enact your polices).

I do agree with Kerby that this does seem rather shallow and possibly not needed at all, but expanded upon and combined with the labor management idea from the "micro to macro nugget automation" dev blog it could be worth while and an interesting part of the game.

Commandments, while an interesting idea for early game, should be a completely separate piece from the law system and should instead provide general moral values for your civilization to follow. These values should be echoed in polices candidates show later in the game.

On a final note: you should be able to influence the direction of your nugget civilization (monarchy, democracy, warlike) and not be forced into democracy. This is very important for replayability.

I accept your point of view but some things do not make sense to me. For example as I said in the "Let's talk about Universim" Topic... You simply have believers you have to guide... Right... But as god you should have the option to allow or deny things. Those decisions are naturally commandments in a god game. If a player decides the civilization should be able to form a government and introduce politics... god tells them to as Commandment... Every other aspect of the game would exclude the godly gameplay. I'm okay when a non believer from an exile village forms a own form of government. But it does not make any sense in a god game to exclude the god from main decisions. 

2 hours ago, Antiglow said:

The civilization should fall into chaos and die off until they have a small tribe of people (or you stop killing the candidates and dub someone to be "profit candidate" to enact your polices).

Couldn't agree less. The logic behind it would say... Okay god is against our decision to form a government... We either agree and follow his commandments or we move on to an exile village. This would make things more interesting... But forcing the player to take a specified path and choose politics is... simply boring. You can not choose... Sooner or later the politics thing will repeat over and over again and you start to ignore it... And gameplay value totally lost. But if you have to decide over and over again... combined with prayers and so on... this would be interesting. But I keep my opinion. Forced politics without a godly counterpart will be igored from many players really soon. because it sounds more interesting than it is. So wasted dev time.

What would be your actions? Choose a candidate now and then... bless him or kill all candidates you don't like... First time funny. Second time... less funny... third time... who gives a sh**. 

Commandments, while an interesting idea for early game, should be a completely separate piece from the law system and should instead provide general moral values for your civilization to follow. These values should be echoed in polices candidates show later in the game.

All those example traits are basic things that could be copied to a commandment system. Those traits have a general moral value. All those traits... You seem to forget, that this supposed to be a civilization which is aware of a godly presence. So who would they ask first how to behave? a self made law or a present god... of course if they believe in the god... exile villages are a different topic...

• Elderly Assisted Living (Elders mate and eat 2x more and no longer work. 30% chance of elderly couple dying during mating. +2 to Happiness. )
  •  Same-Sex Marriage (+5 to Happiness. Slight decrease in reproduction rate.)
  •  Matriarchy (Only Female Leaders) (All female Nuggets get +5 Might. Females live for +5 years longer on average. Probability of males being born -15%)
  •  Patriarchy (Only Male Leaders) (All male Nuggets get +5 Might. Males live for +5 years longer on average. Probability of females being born -15%)
  •  Child Labor (Nuggets work from when they are children. Causes reduced lifespans (-10 years) and lowered Happiness (-10 Happiness))
  •  Labor Laws - Nuggets only start work after they turn 10. Lifespans +10 years. Happiness +5.
  •  Work Shifts - Nuggets take shifts working. Increases efficiency of buildings (by reducing time that Nuggets are gone to rest/eat) and increases Happiness (+5).
  •  Food for all - Increase the amount of rations per Nugget by double. (Happiness +10. Food consumption +100%.)
  •  Prohibition - Nuggets no longer drink from Eateries. (Happiness -5. Nugget Stamina +5.)
  •  Contraception Ban - Nugget reproduction rate increases. (Reproduction rate +15%, Happiness -5)
  •  Adult Classes - (50% of adults will go to School)
  •  Accelerated Studies (Nuggets spend less time in School, but injury rates increase) (-20% School time, injury rate +15%)
  •  Vaccinations  - Nuggets will get shots to become less prone to disease. (-15% chance of sickness)
  •  Safety Guidelines - Nuggets will become less prone to injury. (-15% chance of injury)
  •  Pollution Control - Reduces pollution by 30%, but players can no longer build factories that pollute.
  •  Medical Aid (Increases healing speed by 15%)
  •  Vacation Time (Nuggets will take X amount of time each year for vacation. Happiness +10.)
  •  Right to arms (Allows Nuggets to own personal weapons. Injury rate +20%, Happiness +5, Wild Animal Attack chance -50%)
  •  Industrialist - Nuggets completely shift away from environmental protection and instead increase production. (Factories +15% efficiency, pollution rate increases by 50%)
  •  Nuclear Testing (In rare cases, Nuclear Facilities can experience a meltdown. However, rocket building +30%)
  •  Water Filtration (+25% to water refill rates, water buildings decay 5% faster)
  •  Pesticides (Farm yields +15%. Sickness rates +5%.)
  •  Fertilization (Farm yields +15%. Happiness -5 due to smell.)
  •  Scientific Focus (Research rate +15%, Creator Point production -15%)
  •  Religious Focus (Creator Point production + 15%, Research rate -15%)
  •  Sanitation (Sickness rate -15%, water usage +15%)

On a final note: you should be able to influence the direction of your nugget civilization (monarchy, democracy, warlike) and not be forced into democracy. This is very important for replayability.

All your examples are more or less secular... this game is secular enough for my taste. ;)  Too secular to call itself planet management god game. But I agree. There needs to be an option to choose. As I repeated over and over again in different topics... A secular and a godly way to please different type of gamers. And I repeat myself again... There are tons of strategy management games on the market but not a single god game. So excluding the godly main focus and reducing it to some quests  withouth an option to choose if you want secular or godly society... A bitter pill.

To please both of you, I would bring in the game a church system, wich you could control directly with god commandments and then you would have conflicts between politics and religion, and ultemetly religion could rule the planet or politics, depending on how you intervene. I too agree, that this concept is realy nice and it could lead to some nice gameplays. It's a nice feature (the politics system), I still think this game will turn out greate. I can't say I don't agree with kerby, in the sense that it would be nice to give the player the choice of deciding wich gameplay he wants, the one in wich you are an almighty god who gives everything to his nuggets, or a subtle god who influences his nugets subtely (like teaching your creature in B&W, but this time with a civilisation).

1 hour ago, Serbanescu said:

To please both of you, I would bring in the game a church system, wich you could control directly with god commandments and then you would have conflicts between politics and religion, and ultemetly religion could rule the planet or politics, depending on how you intervene. I too agree, that this concept is realy nice and it could lead to some nice gameplays. It's a nice feature (the politics system), I still think this game will turn out greate. I can't say I don't agree with kerby, in the sense that it would be nice to give the player the choice of deciding wich gameplay he wants, the one in wich you are an almighty god who gives everything to his nuggets, or a subtle god who influences his nugets subtely (like teaching your creature in B&W, but this time with a civilisation).

See I do and I don't get the point of your statment at the same time. You can of course be a almighty god that uses commandments and a temple (may a spiritual leader god chooses... or is "chosen" by the nuggets and god supports the spiritual leader in the "politics way"  that distributes the commandments to the nuggets. A prophet... This could be as interesting or more interesting than a simple politics system... Do the nuggets agree with the commandments? How do the commandments change the nuggets belief? Will they go to an exile village or will they believe even more... Simple politics are boring in my opinion but granted for those who like them so they can leave it up to the nuggets and do their thing and form a government wich you can influence the same way described above... But you have the option...

The point I totally agree is the lack of options. I don't want to take the prefered playstyle from people. But I don't want to be forced to use a specified secular gamestyle in a self called god game... 

1 hour ago, Kerby84 said:

See I do and I don't get the point of your statment at the same time

My idea was, that there could be both politics and religion, those in politics you could influence with your actions (or couldn't influence them at all if there's a nonbeliever) and those in religion would obey every command you give them and if you don't want to kill the nonbeliever, you could order your priests to take action against the curent "corput" politics. I also think that a nice thing about this game is that the scenario wouldn't repeat. I mean, maybe one time you chose to kill the politician that you dislike, and as a result nuggets flee from your civilisation, and maybe one time you make your followers to assasinate him, and your church rises to power, or maybe sometime you decide to impress the politician, and take control of him. I like the idea of nuggets having theyr own will. There are many nice things that could be implemented.

This is actually really cool and I'm so excited for these new things to come out.