Alex Koshelkov

Let’s talk about The Universim

Well I just submitted my take for the game in the survey  I hope it helps you guys out.

Personally, I would love to see more interactions from the Nuggets to the player as a deity.  Even the Player getting more powers to use, i've mostly used the restoration on buildings.

Even just things like having shrines, monuments, relics or even great monoliths erected by the nuggets to the player in worship would be a nice change of pace.  Even an option too see them change in appearance if the player goes good or evil?  

I get the impression we may see opposing factions and tribes later on.  Which to me means there will be soldiers and other military type buildings and nuggets.  So what about an option too designate a Nugget as a Champion?  If they survive the epic battles they in turn get a shrine and monument in their honor

2 hours ago, Kerby84 said:

My main Suggestion while watching the picture again... The building health system... this is (in my opinion) unneeded micromanagement and processing power. I'd get rid of the building health system which needs constant care and engineers and replace it with classic healthpoints which can be reduced through storms and other things... and you simply can repair buildings with resources you provide... direct control as godly gameplay or indirect control trough nuggets that autonomously repair. 

Hey  Kerby, the idea is good, but as always there should be that but :D Anyway, storm does cover the whole planet. Imagine you have 100+ buildings and your storm will damage half of them. It will create a lot of micromanagement for you to repair them + your engineers probably won't be able to fix them in a timely manner.  If we make windstorms to appear not that often, it will make engineers completely useless and not  needed at all, since for half an hour or maybe an hour they will be standing still and do nothing. 

We can think of random building damage due to earthquake and other events probably, but this is something that we have to  be careful with, because sandstorm + earthquake etc... can overkill.

There are couple of more ideas about that, but first they have to be thought carefully since all of them have consequences.  I hope you can see my point :P

47 minutes ago, Sasha said:

... There are couple of more ideas about that, but first they have to be thought carefully since all of them have consequences.  I hope you can see my point :P

Hey Sasha, glad to see you around again. :) And as always you're right. But imagine a easy to use and 100% avaiable godly power that could protect the whole planet ( if you want the storm on the whole planet, you'll have to protect the whole planet as well instead of a small local area where the storm would normally be.) :P  (yes I know it's way easier to start a storm event on a whole planet than in a specified smaller area... but if you overdo with the storm scale, you have to overdo the protection scale as well... ;) ) So your nuggets and buildings are safe if you want to protect them. And to combine it with the Faith topic... You'll get "good" points for saving and protecting your nuggets and the buildings as well... If you want to let your nuggets suffer... well you have to face the consequences and have a lot of work for you or them and to combine again with the Faith topic... get "bad" points for ignoring the safety needs. ;)

47 minutes ago, Sasha said:

it will make engineers completely useless and not  needed at all

Thank you. That was my intention. :emoticon-00109-kiss: An Engineer in The Universim is like... [insert example of something superfluous here]. ;)  The whole system of  "engineers needed to repair a building" is questionable and was from the beginning. If nuggets build huts and structures withouth an engineer why is one needed to repair them? ;) The nuggets that build the building should be able to fix it if needed. But to repeat myself again... I don't like the idea of maintaining building health only because the building gets older. If i throw a rock on it and it breaks into pieces... okay. sure... but not because time has passed. Those are fu**ing stone buildings. The pyramids are still standing without an engineer around... mostly... ;) 

So to continue the cross topic Ideas... (I can repeat them over in the Faith topic if you want but it fits here too) Some people maybe want to play a "bad" god... If they decide to set the world on fire... buildings of course could be damaged... if they throw rocks on the buildings... or maybe if some other tribes start a fight... who knows. But I'd get rid of the building damage over time at all. If you provide a source for a damage you should provide a way to avoid the damage... Natural desaster? Blizzard with fire? Give god powers to protect like shield or rain... You'll get my point. B)

9 minutes ago, Kerby84 said:

Hey Sasha, glad to see you around again. :) And as always you're right. But imagine a easy to use and 100% avaiable godly power that could protect the whole planet ( if you want the storm on the whole planet, you'll have to protect the whole planet as well instead of a small local area where the storm would normally be.) :P  (yes I know it's way easier to start a storm event on a whole planet than in a specified smaller area... but if you overdo with the storm scale, you have to overdo the protection scale as well... ;) ) So your nuggets and buildings are safe if you want to protect them. And to combine it with the Faith topic... You'll get "good" points for saving and protecting your nuggets and the buildings as well... If you want to let your nuggets suffer... well you have to face the consequences and have a lot of work for you or them and to combine again with the Faith topic... get "bad" points for ignoring the safety needs. ;)

Thank you. That was my intention. :emoticon-00109-kiss: An Engineer in The Universim is like... [insert example of something superfluous here]. ;)  The whole system of  "engineers needed to repair a building" is questionable and was from the beginning. If nuggets build huts and structures withouth an engineer why is one needed to repair them? ;) The nuggets that build the building should be able to fix it if needed. But to repeat myself again... I don't like the idea of maintaining building health only because the building gets older. If i throw a rock on it and it breaks into pieces... okay. sure... but not because time has passed. Those are fu**ing stone buildings. The pyramids are still standing without an engineer around... mostly... ;) 

So to continue the cross topic Ideas... (I can repeat them over in the Faith topic if you want but it fits here too) Some people maybe want to play a "bad" god... If they decide to set the world on fire... buildings of course could be damaged... if they throw rocks on the buildings... or maybe if some other tribes start a fight... who knows. But I'd get rid of the building damage over time at all. If you provide a source for a damage you should provide a way to avoid the damage... Natural desaster? Blizzard with fire? Give god powers to protect like shield or rain... You'll get my point. B)

If you can provide good / bad points distribution based on various action, can you please do it in a Faith Topic? I think it will be useful there. 

Engineers are not only for fixing buildings. Their construction skills overall are way better. They can build a building in a faster pace then a regular nugget. On top of it, one of our idea was to make engineers necessary to build a specific buildings in a modern age. Similar how it is done in our world right now. Everyone can slap two bricks together and create a wall, but for a cool structures you need architects to design them properly, and create them in a nice way. This way only engineers will be able to create complex buildings and regular labor nuggets will be able to build others.

3 minutes ago, Sasha said:

If you can provide good / bad points distribution based on various action, can you please do it in a Faith Topic? I think it will be useful there. 

Done. ;)

4 minutes ago, Sasha said:

They can build a building in a faster pace then a regular nugget. On top of it, one of our idea was to make engineers necessary to build a specific buildings in a modern age. Similar how it is done in our world right now. Everyone can slap two bricks together and create a wall, but for a cool structures you need architects to design them properly, and create them in a nice way. This way only engineers will be able to create complex buildings and regular labor nuggets will be able to build others.

I thought you introduced godly building help? :) so it does not matter if an engineer is quicker than a normal nugget. god would be the quickest solution. :) So you need an architect like you said. Not an engineer. :) As you said in later ages... but not in the stoneage or pre atomic ages... But you introduced special important personalities... they could be the ones needed for special buildings.

3 minutes ago, Kerby84 said:

Done. ;)

I thought you introduced godly building help? :) so it does not matter if an engineer is quicker than a normal nugget. god would be the quickest solution. :) So you need an architect like you said. Not an engineer. :) As you said in later ages... but not in the stoneage or pre atomic ages... But you introduced special important personalities... they could be the ones needed for special buildings.

Great, thank you a lot :)
We did, but if you don't like to waste your time on pulling trees and helping your civilization and you would like to lay back and enjoy how your civilization works, you can do so and engineers will be a great help here. 

Some of them will be, but we don't want to overshoot ourselves with that and make important personalities something "common". Those people will invent really cool stuff and they will be unique, while engineers can concentrate for a example on the roller coaster :D.  I see your point about the engineers and you have a good point there. It just every step has to be thought carefully, since every mistake cost us time, money and your support since it takes longer to deliver :P  Luckly, we learned a lot while working on the universim. Good / bad sides, what worked and what didn't. The whole community helped us drastically with the feedback and we feel more confident with all the features that will be coming. 

24 minutes ago, Sasha said:

... you can do so and engineers will be a great help here. 

...It just every step has to be thought carefully, since every mistake cost us time, money and your support since it takes longer to deliver :P  Luckly, we learned a lot while working on the universim. Good / bad sides, what worked and what didn't. The whole community helped us drastically with the feedback and we feel more confident with all the features that will be coming. 

As long as they only build buildings and do not need to repair them any longer only because they get old... I simply do not care for them. Okay to have them... okay not to have them... Please only get rid of the building health system. :) 

And to repeat myself again... If you keep the good contact to the community and share and discuss the development -  the time of development should be your littlest sorrow. :) As long as you deliver a good game at the end... :lol:

2 hours ago, Savage Shark said:

Even just things like having shrines, monuments, relics or even great monoliths erected by the nuggets to the player in worship would be a nice change of pace.  Even an option too see them change in appearance if the player goes good or evil?  

There was something (or still is) a building in the game. Either a foutain tree or a spike skull statue. But it was not useful because good bad was not really introduced the right way. . But yes I like the idea of special faith buildings :) maybe you want to contribute in the faith topic? :) 

On 7/11/2018 at 5:02 PM, Robert said:

The buildings are constructed by the AI and thus are built dynamically around the Epicenter

Literally SECONDS after they said that they stated, "However, special buildings, like the epicenter, can be placed wherever you choose."

This is the game you backed, you were just too stupid to finish reading and listening.
You just got tired of waiting for development and are trying to get your money back, which is fine, except your making up reasons that don't exist

On 12/7/2018 at 17:15, Kerby84 dijo:

Oh @Alex Koshelkov that was great ;) "The worlds most expensive Screensaver. ;) Well it's in your hands to give us something meaningful to do. Only micromanaging is a tedious task for many people. But in the other hand some people enjoy virtual gardening and house renovation although they could do it in the real world. A game should give you the options to do things you can't do in the real world. Managing people can be fun but is only a small part of a game at least the Kickstarter game you promised. The interaction as god to your followers is especially important. Do I feel needed? Am I in control? If I wanted to... could i do something wonderful or am I forced to obey. I know it is hard. That's the reason you were funded on Kickstarter. Because people wanted a god game. The ability to be a god again and enjoy the game in their pace. 

You started with the Idea of an god game and developed it to an city simulator first... and gained supporters that want a city simulator. That was not the original pitch. So yes it's hard to combine those two playstiles together. 

See I understand your point of view but a god game (at least The Universim was funded as god game) should have god powers that are useful and sometimes needed. If you make them optional... you make the whole god game concept of the game optional. There are plenty of management games outside but no god game. This is the only thing The Universim is or could be different from any other game on the market.

@Alex Koshelkov Talking about the genre. What do you think is the main genre of The Universim at the moment? I don't know what you're working on and how it affects gameplay and godly gameplay. In all honesty... you should not advertise The Universim as god game if you did not improve the godly gameplay mechanics insanely in comparison to the current build. A clear statement would help. The only thing I know is... If you'd advertise the current build as god game in Steam... Most people would be disappointet about the godly gameplay. And people that don't want a god game like @rnramos or less godly interactions, are maybe annoyed about the pure existence of god powers in a city building management game. ;)

The question is: Who do you want to be your main audience? The original concept supporters that funded you because you promised to do a god game or the group that joined later while you already developed a city builder simulation. As I said... management and city builder games are a huge market and the competition is really hard... But there does not exist a single god game on the market beside the old black & white series which is nowhere to buy.

See I am the (sometimes critical and for your liking uncomfortable but also very supportive and constructive) ;) voice of the Kickstarter backers that wanted a god game more than anything else. We talked about Godus and you agreed. Such a disaster should never happen again. I do understand that the development of a game of this scale is a really hard job. But you can't please them all if you do not introduce different gameplay options to activate or deactivate to everyones liking. Or a completely "god free" gamemode with as much micromanaging as possible for those who don't want a god game... Which is funny... As I said... There are plenty of not god games on the market..... ;) I think you get the point. You as developer need to decide which is your main audience or everyone is unsatisfied with a half hearted compromise. If you have enough manpower to introduce different game modes... okay... but I doubt it. It's hard work. But you should (I'm egoistic now for a second...)  know who supported you in the beginning and for what.

I am not neither annoyed or worried about the pure existence of God in a management game.

I want less god powers, and make them optional, so not neccesary for the game but you can use them to boost or destroy the nuggets. I like the idea of churches and so on, because, look at our civilization, but not the god powers.

@Alex Koshelkov Could you send screenshots of the results of the survey?

2 hours ago, rnramos said:

I am not neither annoyed or worried about the pure existence of God in a management game.

I want less god powers, and make them optional, so not neccesary for the game but you can use them to boost or destroy the nuggets. I like the idea of churches and so on, because, look at our civilization, but not the god powers.

@Alex Koshelkov Could you send screenshots of the results of the survey?

As Alex mentioned... This is a planet management GOD GAME and not a management game alone. So you simply did choose the wrong game to support if you want a pure management game withouth the need of important godly interaction. As Alex also mentioned... They godly interaction in the current build is already optional and pointless at the moment so you want it to be even more pointless? The question is... why did you support a god game? Why do you need churches if you do not want godly gameplay. Sorry this does not make any sense to me.

Why this change of mind so suddenly? You demanded more godly gameplay in the past... And you're here around for a while now. Never heard that you wanted less godly gameplay... You wanted more. I'm confused... It's like... demanding Counter Strike to be a FPS without Weapons and everything else that belongs to the genre.