Alex Koshelkov

What features are missing from Goblins of Elderstone

Hi Everyone,

we spoke with devs and we would love to get community get a little bit more involved with the Goblins of Elderstone development process. We know you guys doing an amazing job helping with The Universim you have great ideas and suggestions that had been already implemented or will be in the nearest future. We know we have several great active members and we would like to ask you guys to check GOE out and share your thoughts about the game with us. Please PM me if you would like to get game key and would like to help. 

@Kerby84 @threeheaded monkey I know you guys have great energy and always eager to help, let me know if you guys would like to join us.

Let's keep this as a general discussion and if you would like to talk about certain game aspects please create a new topic. 

Alex

After playing several games I've come up with a handful of features that would make the game much more intuitive and enjoyable.

1. The Esc key at the moment does not intuitively close certain windows that would be expected, such as the yearly report.
  2. The ability to prioritize which buildings are built first so that materials are shipped to the correct site would be wonderful.
  3. Being told who is cold would be very useful to know to prevent goblins from freezing to death.
  4. Better control over food distribution as goblins don't seem to prioritize survival over other tasks.

I'm sure I'll come up with more but for now, these are what I felt were most important to suggest.

1 minute ago, SnorlaxRae said:

After playing several games I've come up with a handful of features that would make the game much more intuitive and enjoyable.

1. The Esc key at the moment does not intuitively close certain windows that would be expected, such as the yearly report.
  2. The ability to prioritize which buildings are built first so that materials are shipped to the correct site would be wonderful.
  3. Being told who is cold would be very useful to know to prevent goblins from freezing to death.
  4. Better control over food distribution as goblins don't seem to prioritize survival over other tasks.

I'm sure I'll come up with more but for now, these are what I felt were most important to suggest.

Thanks, @SnorlaxRae Do you think the game needs more buildings or any specific features overall? Events, missions maybe?

Something akin to the Eatery TU has might be beneficial in tracking food distribution. Also, the great thing about goblins is that they're considered as inventive as gnomes in terms of explosives and warfare. Delving into that with buildings and units would definitely give GoE another unique edge. Goblin sappers, anyone? I think trade can also really be deepened. A good example of trade production done right is Anno's Dawn of Discovery (Venice). There was a lot to do and a lot to micromanage which is what players tend to want out of an RTS city builder. I think the events currently are pretty good. I was reminded a bit of Civ 4's later expansions that added event cards. Missions to better explain core mechanics would definitely help and be more useful than pop up tutorials that a lot of players (myself included sometimes) will skip right on by, preferring to learn by doing, rather than reading. There's a fine line between hand holding quests and quests that tell you what you need to do, give a hint and let you do it. So, it'd have to be well done and have some humor to it.

·         During tutorial play, when it says to build a building (Grand Hall, Storage Hut, etc.) the Build icon in the lower right should be highlighted or flashing and also the tab where the building is located to make it easier for folks playing for the first time to find.

·         In information panel at top left of screen (where it shows population, growth, and peons) make an option where if you click on total population a list of all goblins pops up and if you click on peons a list of peons comes up.

·         When placing some buildings, such as Watch Tower, have an arrow pointing which direction the building is focused towards. Another example is the Woodcutters Hut, have an arrow pointing which direction the door is facing.

·         Have an option to turn off/on edge scrolling.

·         Why is it set that each season is a game year? Why not have four seasons equal a year like in real life? (just saw that winter is 2 years!?!)

·         The tutorial never says how to keep goblins from freezing to death. Was playing along and noticed that I just had three goblins freeze to death. Tutorial should also talk about how/why to use the “Move to Campfire” button.

·         Explain what the progress bar above the goblins is. I have one goblin that is walking around being idle, yet he has a progress bar floating above him. No idea what the bar is for, but it is slowly being depleted.

·         The text on some info lines are too small to read (@1920x1080)

Have a notification pop up that says when your goblins are almost dead due to freezing, instead of just the little text line in the bottom left hand corner that says a goblin froze to death (too late to do anything about it then). Make it more obvious so you don’t lose almost all of your goblins.

I absolutely agree about adding arrows. I honestly cannot tell which way some are facing which is frustrating.

Winter lasts too long for how deadly skeletons are. In the game's odd time, it should be 1 year at most. (Seriously, what's with the seasons?)

Agreed on edge scrolling.

Notifications need a lot of work to help prevent deaths, particularly from freezing. I can't see a way to stop starvation when there's no way to force feed them with the massive stockpile of food you have that they flatout ignore.

I'd love to see how the trade building lets me micromanage peon's jobs but I just can't get far enough to test it. Once the game receives a fix to these issues I'll be able to proceed in testing but until then I will test what I have and continue taking notes.

I agree with making winter way shorter, maybe half of a game-year due to the monsters being unbalanced.

Side note: I assigned two goblins to my one watchtower during winter and they were able to defend the town for the most part and then had to rely on the Chief and/or King to finish them off completely. The problem with relying on King/Chief is that the walk at the same speed as the monsters so if my archers/town watch can't kill them right away, that means King/Chief has to chase the monster all over my village while the monster kills my people off one by one. :(

I must really suck. I could never get a watchtower built before the winter on multiple attempts. But yeah, the chief would chase and not catch up while I watched each goblin slaughtered and was helpless to do anything about it.

6 minutes ago, SnorlaxRae said:

I must really suck. I could never get a watchtower built before the winter on multiple attempts. 

No, I just got really lucky and built a bunch of stuff before the first winter... and for some reason the very first spring I had 5 babies born so that was a huge boost to manpower.... I mean goblinpower. :-D