Alex Koshelkov

Micromanagement in the game

Hi all, as we develop into Modern/Industrial Age. What do you think we should atomize in the game? Anything in particular you think is not fun to manage at this stage? 

Thanks! 

I think maybe it would be good to move away from placing individual buildings and focus on resources as a whole. ATM if we want food, we build farms, fishing huts or hunter's cabins. In the next phase we could simply increase our food production which would trigger the randomised construction of those three to meet demands. If my food consumption is 20 units higher than than production I'd simply instruct for more production and it would automatically choose and place the buildings. Research could then focus on things such as upgrades, focusing on going green or vice versa among other things rather than just unlocking more buildings and getting overwhelmed. I don't really know how you'd design a UI for this though.

I agree with Lissa in most points. Production of resources should be mostly automated in this stage. So replacing the associated buildings with a zoning tool to determine the desired zone (residential, religious, economical [as i said an idea for gameplay variations godly vs. secular society], ...) could be a good idea. Customization trough research could please different types of players. Repairing buildings should not be necessary at all. It's a tedious task that gives the illusion of content. 

It depends on the gameplay mechanics you introduce at this point.

Godly gameplay vs. secular gameplay could be an option. Prayer power against Stock exchange. Maybe introducing new cities or tribes with a different opinion than yours. You could either convert them trough faith and miracles... or if you've chosen a more secular way trough trading or mass destruction weapons with a negative effect on the planet. 

I agree with the above. I suggest that the industrial/modern era be more fast paced and larger in scale as once you get industrlisation on a large scale, technological development becomes much faster. 

Maybe the ability to place entire towns cities and influence their direction and philosophy. Example, you can influence them to be environmentally friendly and self sustainable, resulting in a city with a green feel and less of a drain on natural resources but very slow in terms of population growth. Or a rapidly growing metropolis that grows rapidly at the expense of most nuggets  living unhealthy lifestyles. 

I think that nuggets should begin to build buildings such as hospitals and eateries by themselves at some point but it is you through certain choices that determines wether hospitals are state of the art or relatively primitive. Your actions might also influence the nuggets culture (use too much fire to scare them and they become scared of it , resulting in them being reluctant to use smithing and such) 

finally there could be multiple nations or cities which have different political views, systems and tensions and its up to you to stop them from going to war (or encouraging it ) . 

That’s all for now, keep up the good work guys 

Sorry if i'm wrong but are you guys allready playing in the second and third era :P? Or are you just discussing about these era's before they come live?

Discussing before they come live, that was the question ;). And yeah I agree with the above. Would be great to get automization or better management into the game. Like already set. Claim areas for Huts, production and so on.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Mojacks:

Sorry if i'm wrong but are you guys allready playing in the second and third era :P? Or are you just discussing about these era's before they come live?

Yes. Lol

Am 2.5.2018 um 10:40 schrieb Kerby84:

It depends on the gameplay mechanics you introduce at this point.

This.  We won't just keep on unlocking buildings and then doing all the related micromanagement,hm?

Not sure how far you guys have been with different planets and such, but I would say that the modern era is  about exploring the universe, not colonizing ofc. Surely the nuggets aren't able to travel to space in modern era, cows maybe , but that's a different topic. ;)

hace 51 minutos, threeheaded monkey dijo:

Yes. Lol

This.  We won't just keep on unlocking buildings and then doing all the related micromanagement,hm?

Not sure how far you guys have been with different planets and such, but I would say that the modern era is  about exploring the universe, not colonizing ofc. Surely the nuggets aren't able to travel to space in modern era, cows maybe , but that's a different topic. ;)

Space era is for starting putting satellites and space stations into the planet's orbit, also putting the satellites into other planet's orbit.

Lots of years later, start colonizing some planets in the solar system, and in other generations (in very advanced space era), start travelling to other solar systems.

You don't need satelites and rockets and all that for exploration.

Wasn't the origanl idea to have a telescope and then start  exploring space? ;)

I'm wondering though, how is the medieval age going to differ from the stone age first? It's all well and good to talk about modern and space but what's already in the works for the second age? If each age is meant to feel like a unique part of the game, we need to know what is planned for the medieval age, otherwise we're probably just telling you stuff you already know. :)

Charging batteries... lol

Edit: Hm. Rennaisance, anyone? What about a divided society for the medieval era?

17 hours ago, threeheaded monkey said:

Edit: Hm. Rennaisance, anyone? What about a divided society for the medieval era?

Is it AC or DC? ^^

Oh I miss @Roumsen... he collected information from all crytivo accounts and shared them on the forum for those who don't use twitter and facebook and so on... Thanks for sharing @threeheaded monkey

19 hours ago, threeheaded monkey said:

These look great actually, its simple but..genius! Not sure how that fits in the Medieval era though but. 

Erm, I was actually just joking around a bit, since  Lissa was asking about the content of the medieval era, heh.

Sure, it's looking good, as almost every concept  which  the studio has been showing to the public.

But,... I mean, batteries in the medieval era? 

I Like the concepts of the generators though. Especially the one with the running wheel,lol

And I agree with Kerby. The Universim forum needs some serious care. It seems that discord is more up to date than this forum.

What happened to all the mods?

Sure well it's a design decision I don't care about. It's not a historically correct game after all. :)  The gameplay mechanics are more important than introducing new buildings only. But we've talked about that already. So it's nice to to see some pictures instead. You know... I need special caring 24/7 ... -_- (yes still pissed AK)

I do not have Dicscord and I don't want to use it. It's the official forum here... So.... 

On 3/5/2018 at 17:00, threeheaded monkey dijo:

You don't need satelites and rockets and all that for exploration.

Wasn't the origanl idea to have a telescope and then start  exploring space? ;)

How do you put spatial telescopes and satellites into orbit and go to other planets/solar systems without rockets genius?

Well, with ground telescopes you can explore the stars, but you cannot explore or colonize other planets without spatial telescopes, the satellites for communication and, obviously, rockets.

hace 3 horas, threeheaded monkey dijo:

Erm, I was actually just joking around a bit, since  Lissa was asking for the content of the medieval era, heh.

Sure, it's looking good, as almost every concept  which  the studio has been showing to the public.

But,... I mean, batteries in the medieval era? 

I Like the concepts of the generators though. Especially the one with the running wheel,lol

And I agree with Kerby. The Universim forum needs some serious care. It seems that discord is more up to date than this forum.

What happened to all the mods?

I agree with you here. 

I am a bit pissed that there are things a lot before than it should be. Yes, I know this game isn't historically correct, but why can't you wait to create all these energy systems(, and also the radio tower), until the modern era?

vor 22 Minuten schrieb rnramos:

How do you put spatial telescopes and satellites into orbit and go to other planets/solar systems without rockets genius?

Are you mocking me,dude? :P

I was talking about exploring the stars by using a planetary telescope, indeed. I mean, the idea itself to build rockets and to use them for shooting satelites and living beings into space has to emerge out of something else, don't you think so?

hace 44 minutos, threeheaded monkey dijo:

Are you mocking me,dude? :P

I was talking about exploring the stars by using a planetary telescope, indeed. I mean, the idea itself to build rockets and to use them for shooting satelites and living beings into space has to emerge out of something else, don't you think so?

"Are you mocking me,dude? :P"

No, it was not my intention.

"I was talking about exploring the stars by using a planetary telescope, indeed. I mean, the idea itself to build rockets and to use them for shooting satelites and living beings into space has to emerge out of something else, don't you think so?"

I agree with you. In the early part of space era, we could have telescopes (we could even in the modern era), and then start developing rockets, satellites, to start colonizing other planets and send probes to study before going to them.

As Kerby84, mentioned above, 

We are not trying to make the game as close to the history as possible. Instead, we would like to give you guys an interesting experience. It is understandable, that some people would like to have everything to be precise to the history book as possible, but we also understand that experience and fun should be first.  It doesn't mean that we can't came up with something fun and stick to the history, but trying to be precise as possible will just limit a lot of things and won't provide that unique experience. When you know what buildings should be in medieval, it feels like someone just spoiled you the story of the book. When you don't know what what is going to be next and how this building can even work in this era, it creates curiosity and plays with your imagination. 

8 hours ago, Sasha said:

As Kerby84, mentioned above, 

We are not trying to make the game as close to the history as possible. Instead, we would like to give you guys an interesting experience. It is understandable, that some people would like to have everything to be precise to the history book as possible, but we also understand that experience and fun should be first.  It doesn't mean that we can't came up with something fun and stick to the history, but trying to be precise as possible will just limit a lot of things and won't provide that unique experience. When you know what buildings should be in medieval, it feels like someone just spoiled you the story of the book. When you don't know what what is going to be next and how this building can even work in this era, it creates curiosity and plays with your imagination. 

No. Simply no. See I don't care about that but only by knowing what buildings are avaiable in medieval time there is no impact of curiosity and imagination at all. It depends on the connected gameplay. As for now the mechanic will be (i suppose) the same as the water pumps. you need water, you place a pump... You need energy, you place a generator. The battery works like the reservoir I think. So no curiosity and imagination needed. Same concept, different graphics.  Am i right? In this case... It all depends on the gameplay. Adding new repetitive chores isn't really fun if you're not Mary Poppins. Really simple example. If you play a fps... All weapons are technically deadly to your opponent. Gameplay goal is still to eliminate all enemies.

If you play a game like Anno 1602 -1800... you know what type of buildings are in the game. But only knowing it is pretty uninspiring. The gameplay behind those buildings is important.

7 hours ago, Kerby84 said:

No. Simply no. See I don't care about that but only by knowing what buildings are avaiable in medieval time there is no impact of curiosity and imagination at all. It depends on the connected gameplay. As for now the mechanic will be (i suppose) the same as the water pumps. you need water, you place a pump... You need energy, you place a generator. The battery works like the reservoir I think. So no curiosity and imagination needed. Same concept, different graphics.  Am i right? In this case... It all depends on the gameplay. Adding new repetitive chores isn't really fun if you're not Mary Poppins. Really simple example. If you play a fps... All weapons are technically deadly to your opponent. Gameplay goal is still to eliminate all enemies.

If you play a game like Anno 1602 -1800... you know what type of buildings are in the game. But only knowing it is pretty uninspiring. The gameplay behind those buildings is important.

Sorry if my point wasn't clear. If you stick to something that you know, it will create a limitation. Good example Diablo 2. Serious world, story, monsters and then COW Level.It was one of the funniest and coolest things that Diablo 2 had. They could have staid precise with everything, kept that seriousness but instead they decided not limit themselves and let their imagination flow.  That was a good decision. Above, I was not talking about 1 specific building. Instead, I was talking about the ability not to limit ourselves by sticking strictly to the "rules".

vor 20 Minuten schrieb Sasha:

If you stick to something that you know, it will create a limitation.

Good point though, since this topic is about micromanagment in the game. Thanks Sasha, lol ;)  ( I'm kidding!!)

vor 17 Stunden schrieb Sasha:

We are not trying to make the game as close to the history as possible.

Well, I understand the idea, somehow. Could be that there is someone playing fast paced and thus able to use that kind of tech in medieval already.

But also I'm with Kerby regarding the underlying mechanic of the energy concept, at least it seems so.

And tbh:  What other gameplay could it offer? 

Anyway.  :)

1 hour ago, Sasha said:

Sorry if my point wasn't clear. If you stick to something that you know, it will create a limitation. Good example Diablo 2. Serious world, story, monsters and then COW Level.It was one of the funniest and coolest things that Diablo 2 had. They could have staid precise with everything, kept that seriousness but instead they decided not limit themselves and let their imagination flow.  That was a good decision. Above, I was not talking about 1 specific building. Instead, I was talking about the ability not to limit ourselves by sticking strictly to the "rules".

Sorry too. I just misunderstood that. Yes i totally agree. A fantasy world allows more creativity.

But for the micromanaging part... those water and energy chains should be automated sooner or later. :)

Hmmm.

I wonder... We are talking about micromanagement in the modern era, right?  Why still "micro" though?

Not quite sure how far a nugget civilization may have expanded in modern era, but  I guess  it will cover a good piece of the planet's surface.   Also there may be  different "cities" already.

I would rather think of managing "larger groups" of nuggets though, moving away from "micro", but not yet "macro", heh. ^^

On 5/3/2018 at 9:58 AM, Fjury said:

Discussing before they come live, that was the question ;). And yeah I agree with the above. Would be great to get automization or better management into the game. Like already set. Claim areas for Huts, production and so on.

So much this! Houses are all over the place. I would like to see it more streamlined like a suburb. It would be nice if they built their huts/tudor houses in the same area. Not just a few houses either. It seems that there are maybe 3-4 houses that get built in an area, then they move on to another location.

Reading through the posts, I agree that the game needs to move away from the players micromanaging everything. I would love to research something like the water pump and see the nuggets go build it to power their stone huts and whatever else they build. I'm not sure if you could build a system in which you do the research and your nuggets get it done. Whether that's building production type of buildings such as farms, fisheries, hunting cabins or core infrastructure buildings like your restaurant, engineer building, refineries. I think between research and the God mail would be the best way to observe and influence your civilization. Just like in real life, God only observes. It's up to us to do for ourselves. I know that is hard to do in a game so as long as I'm not having to give nuggets a good kick in the pants or hold their hand every step of the way, it's a step in the right direction. :)