Sasha

Research Prototype Panel

Prototypes  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Which prototype you like the most?

• I like the 1st Prototype
    • I like the 2nd Prototype
    • I like the 3rd Prototype
    • I like the current way of research
    • I don't like any of them. I have a better I idea and I provided my version.

i like the third one the most 

I think prototype 3 would suit me more: direct, simple and aesthetically pleasing.

The third option looks very good! The first option, like, too, not bad, but like cumbersome. The second option is very even, but here the emphasis seems to placed on style development 3 milestones quite well!

Agree. It's the original concept , isn't it? The one that was shown during the kickstarter campaign.

Prototype #2 shows the research as it was in the pre-alpha, right? The single branches needn't  to be on the same screen imo. Would be less demanding, I suspect.

12 minutes ago, threeheaded monkey said:

Agree. It's the original concept , isn't it? The one that was shown during the kickstarter campaign.

Prototype #2 shows the research as it was in the pre-alpha, right? The single branches needn't  to be on the same screen imo. Would be less demanding, I suspect.

The first one yes, but it was more like brainstorm at that point. Now we have a prototype for it. As before, we still think that those approaches are good, our biggest concern was that it will take the whole screen and it will be uncomfortable for you guys to open the panel quite often. Now we have a system that allow us to queue multiple researches which will help with that issue, but it still our concern. We would like to provide the smooth experience for you guys. 

vor 15 Minuten schrieb Sasha:

our biggest concern was that it will take the whole screen

My thoughts. Have you ever played skyrim? ;)

Another approach could be  some sort of fog of war. That we aren't able to actually see the whole tech tree or so.

Combined with queing research, prototype 2 seems to offer the most flexibility however prototype 3 offers the most logic. I couldn't say which one  I prefer without testing them both however prototype one feels only slightly less rigid than what s currently available. I assume #3 was the ambitious one? It seems to be the most popular too. If it were up to me I'd funnel all my money into helping that one become a reality but alas I require food and shelter. That said, @Sasha, in regards to my own post on the subject, a skill tree of any kind, whilst lacking in originality, works. And works really, really well when done right. These look really promising.

1 minute ago, threeheaded monkey said:

My thoughts. Have you ever played skyrim? ;)

Another approach could be  some sort of fog of war. That we aren't able to actually see the whole tech tree or see.

Skyrim yes, but the concept is different. Here we have some researches that take 30-40 seconds. Which means almost every minute you have to open the panel. Yes, we can change the timing and for some of them we can have the requirements like we had before.
I like the fog of war idea. We will think how to expend it :)

1 minute ago, Lissa Gloom said:

Combined with queing research, prototype 2 seems to offer the most flexibility however prototype 3 offers the most logic. I couldn't say which one  I prefer without testing them both however prototype one feels only slightly less rigid than what s currently available. I assume #3 was the ambitious one? It seems to be the most popular too. If it were up to me I'd funnel all my money into helping that one become a reality but alas I require food and shelter. That said, @Sasha, in regards to my own post on the subject, a skill tree of any kind, whilst lacking in originality, works. And works really, really well when done right. These look really promising.

Thank you for your feedback. #3 is ambitious, but we like it as well so we will see what we can do to keep it the way it is on prototype. 

Just a quick question about the research panel: would we have some specific research that we could unlock upon specific action/alignment or we would always be able to research everything?

Similar to Fable's concept where some spells were only accessible if you were good or evil? If so I don't think that would fit particularly with this type of game personally.

I actually like that idea.  God game-ish. Heh.

Number 2 looks easier to handle,the other ones are to complex for my taste

First of all thank you @Sasha. You see everybody can give good feedback. So why does it need so much energy to convince you (not you personally) to gather feedback from the Community? But okay... back to my feedback.

I prefer Version 3 for a simple evolution research path. The design is simple and appealing. I know this is only an idea but what about different research paths? Version 3 for basic elements and version 2 for divine powers and the godly aspect of the game. the middle is you... god... and you decide in which direction your divine powers evolve...

the colour code could provide different alignments of god and you can cecide to maximize or minimize godly inpact by choosing different options which exclude each other at a specific point.

8 hours ago, Sasha said:

Skyrim yes, but the concept is different. Here we have some researches that take 30-40 seconds. Which means almost every minute you have to open the panel. Yes, we can change the timing and for some of them we can have the requirements like we had before.
I like the fog of war idea. We will think how to expend it :)

What about a "auto research" function you can enable or disable to choose your next research path... Civilization allowed players to activate a end technology they want to research and all technologies between the start and the end technology are researched in a direct path till you reach the chosen technology. It could be an option for fast technologies in a direct line in combination with the micromanaging part... It could be an option as I said.

9 hours ago, Sasha said:

So please consider that even though after finalizing the approach which we will take on that, we might still will have to cut some things from it due to time constrains. 

Cutting things from good concepts is never a good idea. Take your time and speak openly and keep a good communication with the Community and everything is okay. If you say "this is planned and we need time x to realize it..." and keep the Community informed about the progress. I bet everybody is okay with it. At least everybody who believes in the project.

Thanks again for sharing the concept with us.

I like both 1st and 3rd. I like how the panels are set up for the 3rd, it's clearer and easier to see the research branches, but I like the information about the research being to the left as it's more appealing in my eyes!

9 hours ago, Darkliche said:

I really love the 3rd and the 2nd type of research screens
i think you should opt for creating a mixture between both of them : the graphical design of the 2nd one and the Ui cleaness and precision of the 3rd one.

I agree, I'd like to see the concept of the 2nd one cuz that way it's easyer to chose the path you want to take, and you could go one way (lets say the good god way) or you could go somewhere in the middle (say you want the research from the good god way, but there is a research that you need from the evil path, like making more advanced weapons from a path of war, but you actualy want them to help protect your nuggets, or you genuinely want to be an evil badass who will conquer the univers). I know it's going a bit to far, but I liked the idea from Path of Exile with that huge research tree. And you can drow circles to end an age, like inside the first circle is the stonage, between the first and the second circle you have the nextage research and so on...

4 hours ago, Kerby84 said:

What about a "auto research" function you can enable or disable to choose your next research path

Also an awsome idea that could solve the huge research pannel, I support this idea:D

Am 29.4.2018 um 23:00 schrieb Sasha:

... our biggest concern was that it will take the whole screen and it will be uncomfortable for you guys to open the panel quite often. Now we have a system that allow us to queue multiple researches which will help with that issue, but it still our concern. We would like to provide the smooth experience for you guys. 

Was thinking about this during work. Just don't tell my supervisor. ;)

Let's just say you would stick with the current panel,just showing the researchable perks but also having the opportunity to "zoom" into the relevant tech trees. It would be possible to keep the research simple, but also  to get an overview of research at all.

Maybe that's just stupid, anyway. lol

Am 30.4.2018 um 08:08 schrieb Kerby84:

I know this is only an idea but what about different research paths?

Good point! 

What is research all about?

Will there be just nugget related research?

How is the "god" going to evolve?

Am 30.4.2018 um 00:21 schrieb Lissa Gloom:

Similar to Fable's concept where some spells were only accessible if you were good or evil? If so I don't think that would fit particularly with this type of game personally.

Had to think about this again.

Wasn't it so that in Fable the "experience" you were gathering was color coded, and you then only could  research spells according to the amount of that "experience"?

There were three different colors as far as I remember, each representing a different action.

What if there would be a similiar approach in The Universim?

I simply request that the nuggets litterally learn from the tree.

I want them getting hurt because they don't have shoes.

No fire until fire is researched any where in the game.. Make the nuggets act like cavemen poking it to find out its hot. Fire feels like a joke right now.

Please if we give them huge muscles.. Make them look.. A little more machoy or something. 

vor 6 Minuten schrieb Hermes:

No fire until fire is researched any where in the game

But why? Fire is a natural event, or the result of it, just like wind. Does this mean there shouldn't be wind until the "knowledge" about wind is researched?

4 minutes ago, threeheaded monkey said:

But why? Fire is a natural event, or the result of it, just like wind. Does this mean there shouldn't be wind until the "knowledge" about wind is researched?

It can be natural. That is fine. However, Nuggets can currently harness fire before its taught to them. Harnessing fire should be a taught skill, a means of survival. Imagine how insane fire would be if you never knew of it before, but saw it for the first time as a natural event. It would bring a feeling currently not in game.

Hello, I'm looking forward to his game and I would like to make a few suggestions.

About the "Fog of war" idea, I think it's very interesting : it already exists in the legacy thingy in Cookie Clicker, and give you a great feeling about always wanting to go further to discover what you're going to go for next.

About Hermes' idea

6 hours ago, Hermes said:

I simply request that the nuggets litterally learn from the tree.

I want them getting hurt because they don't have shoes.

I like this one, but It can be tricky to implement. Although you could add some "event requirement" to some technologies before they can be researched. I'll take the fire example, if you manage to create some more small events for the nuggets ( which will bring even more life to their world ), you could demand that the fire technology to be researched (in addition to what already is needed) that 5 nuggets live the " fire is hot " event, which would be a quick animation of 5 or 10 seconds where the nugget is running around because it caught on fire. These event could be random decision of nuggets to play with the fire that happened to be there, or you, as a god, could approach them to the fire in order to push them to play with it. You literally make them learn from experience, these experiences that aid your nuggets to get those technologies.

You don't need to add this to every tech, but it could be with a bunch of them, Mining could require nuggets to play around rocks smashing a pebble against a boulder, "accidentally" dropping a snack on a firepit could bring on cooking, etc...

I don't know if I was very clear, sorry if not

Auto research (particulary) and a waiting line like in civilization kills it for me if you're gonna have a fog of war like feature in the tech tree. Could be an option for future playthrough as you know the tech tree by heart, but meh. Although you could pop up on the side of the screen when a reasearch is complete, and eventually pop a few more bubles to let know the player what other technologies you made available with this reasearch completed. And if some technologies are available to reasearch, a simple click on the bubble to launch it would be fine.

Another option is like in Civ V if I remember correctly, you could have a side panels with all available technologies to research.

Looking at the tech tree should be mostly for planning your next moves and tactics, and the side panels (or bubbles) are there to as shortcut to launch a reasearch you alreayd knew you were gonna launch. (Auto reasearch is not the same for me, as you don't have the push of a button to "congratulate" on your next step)

To answer the original question, I like both 2 and 3. Keep up the great work ;)

To keep it short and simple, the third prototype is the most logical and neat one. It's easy and appealing to look at, keeps all the convenient information at the bottom of the screen where it's not distracting anything, the color coding actually serves some purpose it seems, and is overall just less clunky than the other prototypes.

Sometimes people make interfaces that are all fancy pants, but they never take into consideration the actual utility of the interface, and it becomes too clunky. The third prototype checks a ton of boxes that make it the obvious candidate for what the research tree should look like in a very efficient form.

3 hours ago, Plofeu said:

About Hermes' idea

I like this one, but It can be tricky to implement. Although you could add some "event requirement" to some technologies before they can be researched. I'll take the fire example, if you manage to create some more small events for the nuggets ( which will bring even more life to their world ), you could demand that the fire technology to be researched (in addition to what already is needed) that 5 nuggets live the " fire is hot " event, which would be a quick animation of 5 or 10 seconds where the nugget is running around because it caught on fire. These event could be random decision of nuggets to play with the fire that happened to be there, or you, as a god, could approach them to the fire in order to push them to play with it. You literally make them learn from experience, these experiences that aid your nuggets to get those technologies.

You don't need to add this to every tech, but it could be with a bunch of them, Mining could require nuggets to play around rocks smashing a pebble against a boulder, "accidentally" dropping a snack on a firepit could bring on cooking, etc...

I loved your view on my idea. Its truly what I was trying to capture.

I'm hoping they bring end game soon after steam. I'm worried they are getting stuck.

We have yet to see diseases.. True infrastructure... True wrath of god type crap.. Ohh we still havent had a hint of ALIENS 👽...

3 is more streamlined and anaesthetically pleasing.