Alex Koshelkov

Let's talk! About micromanagement in The Universim

Hey there!

Welcome, everyone! It’s been quite a while since our last coffee date. We’ve missed our talks about world domination and cats. Most of all, though, we missed hearing your thoughts on The Universim. We want to hear your opinion on how we can improve a certain little feature in the game.

Let’s talk about micromanagement. What do you think should become more automated as your civilization develops? How much micromanagement should remain? We are already halfway through the Medieval Era and have begun working on concepts for the Modern Age. Should Nugget assignment to the buildings be automagic? How should we prioritize who is assigned and who is not? Which buildings should be prioritized when there aren’t enough Nuggets in your civilization to keep them all running? These are the kinds of questions we would love to hear your thoughts about. We need your suggestions and ideas doesn't matter how wild they are.

Also, to make your wallet a little thicker, here are some Crytivo Coins.

58x60.png
 500 Crytivo Coins
Click Here to Reedem
Learn more about Crytivo Coins Here

This will help gravity to keep you locked down as all of the new changes distort the world around you. If being consumed by the infinite void of space doesn’t bother you, you can also redeem them for discounts on games in the Crytivo Store. These are the Rewards that Matter!

Alright, you may now begin smashing your keyboard over on the forums. Impress us!

With love,

Crytivo

Hello, micromanagement is fine in early game but I think you should implement a little with every new era. For myself, water should be automated first, like well and pump when Medieval is there, after, I think food and other basic need should be automanage and finally, when we will be in other planet, exept for new building that isn't "vital" to the game, everything else should be AI manage (i.e. environement, electricity, water, food, cemetary/hospital and such, don't know all the system that will be implemented but what is necessary to run your village/city in your absence should be automatic. You don't want to micromanage disaster also when you are out of your planet. I would also like to have an option to decide if I want my nugget to be autoassign to building. If possible, we could have some "type" of building that can be automanage (like for example Food, ressource management, civics and other) and toggle a switch to say yes I want those type to be automanage or not. Also, maybe add some more power if you actively manage your colony, that would incentivize the need to take care of your civilisation. 

Yeah Goldmos, I've always liked the idea of letting the nuggets have more abilities to handle things on their own. Saw someone ask about having the nuggets do more of their own building choices instead of just the Hut. More of a teach them how to do something and then let them do it themselves. But I don't get to vote on this... so need all you Creators to make your voices heard. B)

I absolutely agree with just about everything that Goldmos said. As the civilization progresses through the eras, more and more basic needs should be automated by the nuggets, such as by "chief" or "manager" nuggets who oversee the automation of one system such as water. It would be a realistic design choice, as the stone age obviously didn't have any sort of organized civilization, it was just groups of Homo Sapiens without any leader or directive other than to survive. As the civilization advances, different responsibilities should be moved onto the player, and others should be moved to the nuggets.

From having to manage food and water, to managing wars and politics, to managing whole planets and (hopefully) star systems. This makes an incentive for people to want to experience more of the game, and prevents the progression from feeling too repetitive and grindy. No one wants a Universim where every era is the same but is only graphically different. Micromanagement should be constantly shaped throughout a playthrough, which puts more work on you developers, but can interest more fans into the game and the ultimate product will be much better. 

4 hours ago, Goldmos said:

For myself, water should be automated first, like well and pump when Medieval is there

Are you talking about increasing space or output for water? Because they're already automated, you don't need to do anything manually to make them work.

Another challenge we have is we want to keep you guys entertained and busy, if Nuggets will do all job we need to make sure that you still will have something to do in the game. We're not developing nice screensaver yah know :)

I would also like to have an option to decide if I want my nugget to be autoassign to building

Interesting idea, we will review this with the team.

Also, maybe add some more power if you actively manage your colony, that would incentivize the need to take care of your civilisation. 

If you can elaborate a bit more on this I will really appriciate.

Thanks for your feedback and comment.

OK, Just a few things, micromanagement games are everywhere.  I think that it is fine in the first part of the game where the Nuggets are still young and have no culture or skills.  But as they progress and go to school they will be learning life skills also, and a greater sense of community.  By the time the Nuggets learn how to shape stone into bricks and make trees into planks, the building degradation should decrease dramatically.  Nuggets need to start looking after their buildings themselves.  During the new modern age, I would love to see a fast food restaurant like "Mountain Deer on a stick" and or "Turtle juice bar" and "Natural Nugget Coffee".  

In all the mechanics of the game are now pretty solid, I can't wait until more updates are released and looking forward to the day I can get my Nuggets to Jump of my planet!!  During the medieval stage can we introduce a big Telescope, so we can start getting the Nuggets to think about SPACE?  Thanks, Scott QLD., Australia   

I think micromanagement of buildings at least should be kept to a minimum after the initial few years or so, after all it's a God game not a manage the crap out of everyone's lives game. The farming especially (though I haven't played for a few patches now due to lack of time so this may have changed) needs a lot of attention from the player which I don't particularly enjoy.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to implement but maybe give the power to place resources where needed to help them along a little, after all you are a God...

I don't know, it just kind of bores me having to constantly check on every single thing.

At present the game is very micro-management, and with a population of c. 100, I feel very busy rushing around doing a lot of things that the AI should be doing properly - such as gathering dead bodies, repairing buildings etc. Perhaps these are more bugs/balancing issues.

I like the idea of increasing autonomy as the game gets bigger, I think this is the way forward. This also then frees up the player to be more "god-like" and influencing the game more through their god powers., generating more belief and then being able to use this in the game for varying effects. Things like choosing which crop to plant, assigning nuggets to buildings feels very "me-too", so perhaps could be something that over time the game takes over. Otherwise we'll be in the position where you are on planet X, but meanwhile on planet Y thigns go pear shaped because you didn't allocate a nugget to a fishery. The scale of the problems would feel disconnected.

Hello! as a fast idea coz short on time now and just saw this...as we evolve in civilization also nuggets shoud too with that they shoud be more independents and actives with them ideas...like make houses dfiferentes from others  per exemple creating a small well on his house making his house no need of water...also they coud have ideas and question us "gods" and we decide if we take that idea good for civilization or not...

Nice topic!

Most people certainly agree on the point that the nuggets should be more independant at all. And so do I.

But it's not just a single aspect of the game that has to be considered, it's more about the entire  gameplay/ sequence of events.

Let's say I've just reseachered "farming", so I surely would have to build a farm and assign a nugget to it and also would have to choose the crops; but there shouldn't be a need to do this more than once, atleast not as often as right now  (there's an assigned nugget, which learns and spreads the word, yay!),   except for intervening.

So, I'm not just researching the building and the abillity to assign a nugget and to do all the necessary micromanagement,  I also research the farming-handiwork for my nuggets which they now can build upon to.   And by trial and error (micromanagement necessary or not) they are learning how to do farming as efficient as possible over time and on their own.

Since I'm not a fan of the building aspect of the game, the scale of it respectively ; I would also say that they should start building the relevant buildings on their own, when needed, at a certain point of their learning ofc.)

That way  researching/building/assigning/micromanaging/learning   would be an evolutionary process.

And see, that's just an example but I would say it applies to all the other nugget related researchable things  as well.

Hello Alex, to answer the first question: I lost one of my colony because I didn't see that I would need more water (as of need more pump or upgrade my pump) since the hut was popping liek crazy, I didn't check the water requirement (was also building a lot of farm and other building to keep my population happy) so a basic system that said: if you are at 75% of water, build one more pump/upgrade one pump, that would be nice. Also, one time I dried out a lake, so all the pump on that lake became useless, so having another system that said: if water in lake lower than X, build pump on another lake would be nice (as per automatisation). Hope this clarify the first point. The third point with "power". I was refering to God power, so if you micromanage your colony, you should have a boost of God power/God point to help you get your colony of the ground. You could also unlock some power if you do something that would help you manage your colony. As for the stuff to do in general, in a God game, what I want is 2 fold: feel that my God grow in power and feel that my colony grow in size. If we can colonize other planet, this will keep us busy. Or, you could have a system that is similar to spore and manage trading between your system or with "other" colony (i.e. alien colony). That would be a nice little touch in the late game.

Quick suggestion: In the beginning, during the still-early eras when automation isn't really a thing yet, there could still be "quick-management" options such as "set all farms to this crop cycle" or "set all hunters huts to this prey" and something like that for every specialized system. I also agree with threeheaded monkey's:

6 hours ago, threeheaded monkey said:

Let's say I've just reseachered "farming", so I surely would have to build a farm and assign a nugget to it and also would have to choose the crops; but there shouldn't be a need to do this more than once, atleast not as often as right now  (there's an assigned nugget, which learns and spreads the word, yay!),   except for intervening.

as this just makes everything very convenient for the player, by moving repetitive tasks away from the player while still giving us full control over the basic systems until the later eras.

Hello there! This is the first time I post something so... I'll try explain my idea (Ideas)...

Ok well, talking about micromanagement I agree with Goldmos, but I think that you can "Unlock" certain abilities such as "Auto.Management" via research or school, not just...because you switch to another era. So...i'd work on it. 

Nuggets should also be able to build automatically more buildings...I mean, as somebody said before, they should be able to satisfy their needs also by building other things like decoration for an eventual need of relax or eventually an arena to satisfy the need of "Violence" (Let's say that). 

Oh and I'd really work on shops, I mean, I think you need to implement a way of supply them...I mean... if i build a toy shop, there has to be a way these toys are made. And if you think this way, you can implement more and more buildings like "factories"...workshops which use refined materials to build things to make nuggets happier and so they work harder and etc...[Of course the variety of items for sale (and their production) should be automated]

I also think that the water system should be fixed, the concept of a kind of water pump is... idk... not realistic...'cause there's nothing that brings water to wells... you can assign nuggets to do that or make it automated via canals but I think you gotta do something about it. (Since I guess you're gonna implement pipes in future eras, why not implement canals?)

All of I just said can be researched or learnt at school ;) 

I hope I expressed myself properly! We're all supporting this game so much *.* thank you Crytivo, thank you Devs!

P.S. Never Give up

19 hours ago, AKoshelkov said:

Another challenge we have is we want to keep you guys entertained and busy, if Nuggets will do all job we need to make sure that you still will have something to do in the game. We're not developing nice screensaver yah know :)

No, you are developing a GOD game and you have an entire universe to keep us busy. Why am I worried about micro managing every detail of a nuggets when I have moved out of the stone age? Are we still going to be managing taverns when I am building a spaceship? Solar/nuke/wind/water power?

I have not played this game in a year because you are stuck in the stone age on a god game about the universe. Seriously go play Spore and see what people are saying about less management as you progress.

4 minutes ago, Michio said:

No, you are developing a GOD game and you have an entire universe to keep us busy. Why am I worried about micro managing every detail of a nuggets when I have moved out of the stone age? Are we still going to be managing taverns when I am building a spaceship? Solar/nuke/wind/water power?

I have not played this game in a year because you are stuck in the stone age on a god game about the universe. Seriously go play Spore and see what people are saying about less management as you progress.

There are plenty of games in which you need to manage even the little things and this is what a good "God" or "Mayor" or whatever does!!

And by the way, in SPORE there's an absurd lack of realism but this is not the place to talk about it. 

So far its been okay, im just noticing that for some odd reason that the nuggets will gather recources that are far away from what they are building rather than gathering close by resources. This wastes a lot of time and is very frustrating. Also I really wish there was a way to rotate the buildings before placing them. Also would be nice to be able to move already built buildings.

3 minutes ago, Theophilus said:

Also would be nice to be able to move already built buildings.

You can rotate buildings, just press Q and E to rotate them left and right before placing them.

redeeming code doesnt work anymore : Error: Something went wrong, but this time it's not our fault! You can't redeem multiple codes from the same promotion. ........

ok As far as Mico Management goes, IT could go two ways but one would be that you would have to let the player know when there isnt anybody stationed at a post. Or if you do an auto assign who do you design well you have building level and building construction table that you have under your research, So the first buildings to lay down are the first ones to get taken by the people that can work and so on...

As for the game right now, I think personally you need to work out more of a way to tell the player when and if a building has a way to upgrade and letting that person do the mirco manangement of that building  I keep making videos on how i see the game, Right NOW as well in GAME the FOOD is TOTALLY borked, if you watch my video you will see the food production late game say something like 4 of 8 and there should be a lot more food under that constant since your factorys / farm land  / fish all combine to make fish, WATER was fixed last patch and has done really well people know when they need more pumps because of the numbers it gives.

I personally think that the Hut for chasing down animals is pointless because stone age actually doesnt last that long and once you get past that everything starts taking on a faster progression. So what you need to do is if stone age lasts for an hour because of research what can be done from upgrading your building to do more research so the modern man / woman can make things work, like automation say ? where you get trucks and bigger farms where you might plant tree's for harvesting / water refinery's, bigger constructions that would make the world make sense, Also habitats for animals that might still be alive.

You have a lot to think about, But right now, You can not research all that is in the research tree. It Just doesnt work that way, Watch my video for that. And fix the food Numbers.  

Hello i hope you understand me my englisch skills not the best but i try my best ;D

I think you make a good game but i think the developement is to loong. But i Love you game. The first is i think the Micro management is ok but i think for me is somethink missing. i will say its a way bether wen you can prio a work prozess. An example. i Have a hospital an have two worker. to time she farm from self.but I also want to say if she should farm something special. so like in sims 4. he have a own will but i can say to sim what he priorize. an when i not interact with the nuget a while ( so 10 min. ) he have his same will until I interact with him again and then he farm next 10 minits my priorize. I hope you understand me haha XD And yes i like the suggestion from theophilius for rotate buildings.

Best greatings from germany.

F.Keks

I have yet to play the game, just reading and following updates. My thoughts are the game is too much micro management civilisation building game rather than a god game. Reading about the farming system alone is enough to put me off the game. A god should only nudge lightly/heavily the direction of progress but not fully micro manage it. Everything should be fully automatic that even with the player doing nothing the ai/nuggets will attempt to progress on their own even if it means they make mistakes and die out.

I can see the game being broken up into two game mode options but it means more work for devs:

1: full automatic ai with you nudgeing/guiding them the way you want them to progress

2: full micromanagement which changes the game from a god game to a civilisation management game

On 3/19/2018 at 12:23 AM, Goldmos said:

Hello, micromanagement is fine in early game but I think you should implement a little with every new era. For myself, water should be automated first, like well and pump when Medieval is there, after, I think food and other basic need should be automanage and finally, when we will be in other planet, exept for new building that isn't "vital" to the game, everything else should be AI manage (i.e. environement, electricity, water, food, cemetary/hospital and such, don't know all the system that will be implemented but what is necessary to run your village/city in your absence should be automatic. You don't want to micromanage disaster also when you are out of your planet. I would also like to have an option to decide if I want my nugget to be autoassign to building. If possible, we could have some "type" of building that can be automanage (like for example Food, ressource management, civics and other) and toggle a switch to say yes I want those type to be automanage or not. Also, maybe add some more power if you actively manage your colony, that would incentivize the need to take care of your civilisation. 

I have to agree with this, It's all well and good micromanaging initially but as it expands it would become very tedious, as for the screen saver comment - I didn't sign up to be a civilizations babysitter forever, they need to grow up and do things for themselves.
They should be able to work out what they need to build, what they need to plant and how to behave with one another - unless you are planning on adding civil discord (which would be interesting in both concept and practice), I want them to splinter off and create their own 'countries', I want to be able to influence the leaders, bait them into holy wars in my name, smite the non-believers and fight the seeping corruption of heresy.
I appreciate the fine line required between 'things to do' and total automation but we want to feel like a God, would God really care what crops need planting or who is working in the restaurant?

I have politics to influence, heads of state to throw over mountains and cultures to shape and destroy with a whim. If people really need to play around with micromanagement give them a toggle and let them play the largest game of The Sims currently on the market. Johnny Nuggets nutritional requirements mean nothing! Just eat him my nugget followers and let's create our own version of the Wastelands of Mad Max!

39 minutes ago, MatthewTheKnight said:

There are plenty of games in which you need to manage even the little things and this is what a good "God" or "Mayor" or whatever does!!

And by the way, in SPORE there's an absurd lack of realism but this is not the place to talk about it. 

I have played plenty of games that you need to manage the little things, that isn't what a god does. God did not tell me to buy my house, car or to get a job, nor did my mayor. You blast me for wanting less management while asking for it in your post??

Yes, mentioning spore was for the realism of the game and not the game play and a way to get past micro managing as you go through the ages. Of course you don't think water being at the bottom of a well is realistic .... I mean... there is a water table below us... I mean.... ground water under us...... Doesn't matter because the game isn't on earth and nuggets aren't humans as AKoshelkov has said from the start.

2 minutes ago, Michio said:

Doesn't matter because the game isn't on earth and nuggets aren't humans as AKoshelkov has said from the start.

I will elevate my people beyond their flesh prisons - A Race of AI based killing machines incoming.