Sign in to follow this  

Beast Hunter patch state of the game feedback!

Since my last round of play the game runs so much smoother! The ai seems better, only had one nugget get stuck pathing between a tree and a building (I removed the tree and it worked again, unsure if tree was actual cause). Graveyards are much better (aside from my one "doing nothing" post about once they fill up), the fact that everyone didn't get diseased was such a relief. The new ui for buildings and nuggets is beyond helpful for anything from checking building durability to counting the number of engineers huts (and FINDING them among the mass) to make sure everything is balanced. The hunters seemed to function beautifully (with one exception I'll note below).

All of this is based on being able to reach a 150 year 150 population game.

• Early game everything runs very smoothly. Population seems to climb steadily, no major spikes without them dying off either.
    - The flow of population with food gathering and building progression seemed perfectly balanced. I didn't feel like one or the other was causing me to rush to catch up.
    - The nuggets sprawled their huts out much further than previous patches, preventing the consolidated cluster issues of the past.
    - At one point I found my early game hunters wwwwaaayyyyyy far away, bringing home their prey, but uncomfortably far away and having pathing issues at the bank of the ocean (which they ultimately fixed themselves, I just healed them to ensure survival).
    - I feel like the archive shouldn't require a nugget. Sure make the building needed, it's a fun building to have anyways with other possible future uses. Maybe future job slots for some other reason, but currently all I end up doing with it is assigning a nugget, saving, then unassigning them again because I'd honestly rather have the laborer. It just adds another step.
  • Mid game - say 75ish population I felt like they had a spring breed-like-rabbits episode, causing me to catch up my engineers, water supply, and food production. After a few years I balanced it out just fine.
    - There is a need to have the option to build previous tier buildings, instead of only upgraded buildings. I have learned to prepare and stock up resources before advancing the research for upgrades, but sometimes you run into a water or some other issue, and the ability to build the original non-upgraded building is necessary.
  • Around year 110 I started to run into a couple issues, possibly contributed to from the engineers having some A.I. lockup.
    - It became much more micro-managy. Keeping track of how many of what buildings, where they are located as my town started to spread a vast zone.
    -- Also trying to keep track of how many herbs I had with 5 spread out warehouses showed the need for a resources display somewhere, anywhere would be fine, but the ability to see a number.
    - The building and nugget UI became very laggy as it attempted to load in a growing expanse of entities. Sometimes would end up clicking the wrong nugget in the UI because it would stutter and then drop down names (from births and deaths perhaps?)
    -The engineers began to have classic A.I. lockup. Around ~40-45 residential buildings, many started to collapse, and I periodically checked community buildings to prevent destroy.
    -- I had a ratio of 1 nugget, all educated with speed genetic, to every 9 buildings. Might have been fine without A.I. lockup, unsure.
    - I had a death spike from one of the previous generations, or perhaps people dying from lack of housing? unsure. My population dropped from around ~154 down to around ~117.
    -- I went from 2 upgraded cemeteries all with speed genetic gravediggers to 4 in attempt to compensate. One of them had full resources, with prioritize clicked many times upon initial building placement, and the builders refused to go actually build the cemetery for about 6 years.  Finally they completed it. (there were several other placed buildings at the time, perhaps priority was not functioning correctly).
    --- The cemeteries became full, resulting in the gravediggers "Doing Nothing", with bodies still laying around the town. I did see a pyre used at one point earlier in the game, so I know they were at one time functioning. But for years the gravediggers sat at the full cemeteries "Doing Nothing" until a slot decayed open.
  • As the population and building count starts to grow it becomes much more difficult to keep track and micromanage balance.  This has shown the need for some form of world overlay options. Perhaps various tabs at the top of the screen, click one and all the water pumps, wells, and reservoirs light up blue (because let me tell you... Finding all your wells without having to manually pull through a long list of buildings EACH time when you have 15 wells+ later on isn't going to cut it. Also, the building/nugget UI needs to be able to let you mouse scroll wheel, mine wasn't functioning.)
    -- This same concept is desperately needed for education, engineers, food production, and death coverage.
  • Around year 130 I started to notice an issue with the eateries and/or farms. I had 4 total eateries, 3 fishing shacks, 1 hunters lodge, and 5 farms producing food; various ones upgraded.
    - They were spread around different sections of the town sprawl, each with a warehouse not too far away. All warehouses upgraded and all had space.
    - It took me a while to find where the heck my 150 food resources were (again the need for some overlay that shows how much of what is where). They weren't in any of the warehouses (except a few in one, and that was the only eatery that was functioning). For some reason ALL the rest of the food was not being removed from the farms, which were loaded with food lol.  Meanwhile all the eateries were completely empty of any raw or cooked food/meals, and weren't cooking anything because there was no food in the warehouses.
    - I did have 2 couriers huts, fully staffed.
  • Upon year 150 many huts started to collapse and my engineers wont function properly, The gravediggers sit at full graveyards doing nothing with bodies around town, so I called it a fantastic game and time for my report  :)

Overall the game play is incredibly fun and so much has improved since my last feedback. I am concerned that further on into the game, when we're looking at a thousand buildings and population, the micromanagement will become unrealistic, if not impossible.  For early game it is fun as is, but perhaps later on with building upgrades it will take away the requirement for several of the micromanagement aspects as we move onto greater advances.

Thank you @Nemisis311 for your feedback. It is much appreciated!

@Nemisis311 thanks a lot for your detailed review. We will investigate all of this with our system designer @Sasha