Kerby84

Still A God Game Or A Buliding Simulation Strategy Game

They are surely working on improving its features, we just need to wait. People here are open for suggestion, I am sure that the creator will consider it in the near futture. 

So to sum it up again. I think this topic was needed the time i wrote it because of a felt lack of communication and an unsure path of development direction. Since then things have changed for the better thanks to @Sasha. I appreciate his community contact a lot and the community gave good feedback to the research topic.

Nevertheless the old question remains. It would be interesting to know what is planned for the godly gameplay aspect of the game.

That's a simple question and waiting is no solution. We're a community that cares about the game and want this game to be a success. Once released on Steam platform (planned for August), customers buy the game and immedialy judge it for its actual gameplay at this point. Steam has a refund policy. I doubt Crytivo would be happy about many refunds they have trough Steam.

Maybe I'm more frightened than the devs about the possibility of Steam ruining the game, could be true... But I think being honest and open during development (No Alex, that does not mean you're unhonest  as developer) is good in every way. @Sasha shared Ideas and i'ts great. And @Alex Koshelkov asked too about Micromanagement. That's really great. Thanks. 

The devs see the universim as their child. In this analogy we're the uncles and aunts caring as much of the baby as the parents. Sure the parents have the main work to do but uncles and aunts want to be informed about the grow up process of the child and maybe discuss about some educational issues before the child is thrown into the kindergarten.

A caring uncle. :)

Feels way more like an RTS, I actually thing this game is "confused" and does not know which direction it wants to go. 

Well, I already was paraphrasing  several times that I was reading:   planet managment god game,   lol.

So, how ever far you have been in finalizing that prototype, I wouldn't care about it . I just would really love to know what you are up to regarding the god-aspect and  sharing my thoughts with you guys.

13 hours ago, Kerby84 said:

So to sum it up again. I think this topic was needed the time i wrote it because of a felt lack of communication and an unsure path of development direction. Since then things have changed for the better thanks to @Sasha. I appreciate his community contact a lot and the community gave good feedback to the research topic.

Nevertheless the old question remains. It would be interesting to know what is planned for the godly gameplay aspect of the game.

That's a simple question and waiting is no solution. We're a community that cares about the game and want this game to be a success. Once released on Steam platform (planned for August), customers buy the game and immedialy judge it for its actual gameplay at this point. Steam has a refund policy. I doubt Crytivo would be happy about many refunds they have trough Steam.

Maybe I'm more frightened than the devs about the possibility of Steam ruining the game, could be true... But I think being honest and open during development (No Alex, that does not mean you're unhonest  as developer) is good in every way. @Sasha shared Ideas and i'ts great. And @Alex Koshelkov asked too about Micromanagement. That's really great. Thanks. 

The devs see the universim as their child. In this analogy we're the uncles and aunts caring as much of the baby as the parents. Sure the parents have the main work to do but uncles and aunts want to be informed about the grow up process of the child and maybe discuss about some educational issues before the child is thrown into the kindergarten.

A caring uncle. :)

Hey Kerby84, 

Thank you for your feedback and your concern about the game. We share similar concerns and currently we are concentrated on the development.  We would like our child to be successful and we are doing our best to ensure that. 

One thing that we are doing to improve the god aspect of the game is the Quest System. Before the quest system was pretty bad and we did not give it a lot of attention. Currently we are improving that system and Quests will require you to utilize all the different god powers. Besides that, a lot of quests will provide you with the choice.  That choice might effect the buildings that will be unlocked, nuggets perception,  their Faith.

We also would like to expend the Faith System more. We would like your actions as a god to have an impact on your civilization. Currently we are still working on multiple ideas how to achieve that, so once we will make them more or less "community-friendly" and not a bunch of scribbles, we will show it to you guys. Meantime, everyone can give us their ideas about the Faith System.  In a week or so, I will create a separate topic with our notes of what we would like to do with the Faith System for the steam release. 

Sincerely,

Sasha

It was the lack of godly gameplay that gave me pause in buying an early access copy but like everyone here, I have hope that the vision and scope of this game can be achieved and I am honored to become part of the process going forward. That being said, I look forward to seeing the Faith System. It's an important part of being a deity to have worshipers; after all, how else would a god gain more potent power and influence as the ages progress? I do like the tongue-in-cheek "GodMail" system in replacement of prayers and a way to receive quests. :thumbs up:

I had a thought last night about how to make things feel more godly. I think it'd be amazing if a god power were implemented wherein you could place obelisks or relics, some sort of holy objects that Nuggets would turn into temples. The more temples the more worship, the faster god points were earned. I think coupling this with idle nuggets randomly worshipping at these temples would add that godly touch people are asking for and offer a more direct link between the player and the lil nugs. Sort of similar to age of empires but still uniquely universim.

@Lissa Gloom Good idea. Some had similar ideas in THIS topic. Regarding introduction of prayer enclaves or shrines as some kind of secular and godly research. May you want to contribute to this topic as well? The more people and good ideas, the better.

... I'm too kinda... Twitter is easy to handle but not your own forum?  So Twitter is the main channel now and not the official forum? Okay... good to know... And of course most people from twitter said "more buildings". Sure... fast content fix. "bread and games for the masses" But burns out like straw fire. it's not the quantity it's the quality that matters.

Buldings are not gameplay content. That's what people forget. Spore had many buildings... You could customize every bulding in every way. But the gameplay behind it was soon really boring.

What buldings could be planned... Oil well... oil refinery... wind power...  mining for iron, gold, copper, uranium... and refineries to all those products... repetitive and a micromanaging trap.

Regarding the god aspect of the game...

On 5.5.2018 at 1:16 AM, Sasha said:

One thing that we are doing to improve the god aspect of the game is the Quest System. Before the quest system was pretty bad and we did not give it a lot of attention. Currently we are improving that system and Quests will require you to utilize all the different god powers. Besides that, a lot of quests will provide you with the choice.  That choice might effect the buildings that will be unlocked, nuggets perception,  their Faith.

A suggestion... A god game with god mail is... somehow artificial and ungodly. It feels like  "oh we forgot to implement the god aspect of the game... what about a god mail and some missions for it"

Crumble the idea and give it back to Bruce Almighty.

If you still want "The Universim" to be a god game... and want to establish a connection between player and nugget - you need to find a more organic way. maybe thinking bubbles above the heads of the nuggets that indicate a prayer or something else. And for nuggets sake... a better godly interaction. Basic buldings of a god game should always be a temple or something else for prayer power and worship. Some interactions should be completely free like picking up resources and some others like  rain and such kind of things which are creating powers should be really cheap... it's the basic interaction of a god in his world... or you could introduce a area of influence thing in which you can perform miracles for free and the more away from a temple or whatever the higher the cost is.

basic idea behind it. a god game should provide the player with all elemental options to protect or enslave the people. Till now the nuggets care for their own safety. god is not needed. God is just a gimmick in this game.

God should be able to kill wild animals (in area of influence) with ease and protect nuggets. god should be able to gather resources in an elegant way and not throwing it into the orbit ;)  and so on....

Is there a larger following on twitter than the forums? Either way, these types of things should be posted on both the forums and social media... for those of us who don't use social media.

2 minutes ago, Frosty4k said:

Is there a larger following on twitter than the forums? Either way, these types of things should be posted on both the forums and social media... for those of us who don't use social media.

Twitter is easy to use and a great way for marketing. In this forum we discuss about the good aspects and also the flaws. Twitter is more about... "Here is this great game. Look at this nice pictures" Everyone can visit twitter while sitting on the toilet but most people have short time memory. Flaws are bad marketing... Sure... But bad Steam reviews are a even worse marketing. I still hope they can change for the better.

vor 29 Minuten schrieb Kerby84:

bubbles

You were definitely playing THAT "well,yeah" game too much. :D

32 minutes ago, threeheaded monkey said:

You were definitely playing THAT "well,yeah" game too much. :D

What? :lol: Black & White? Sure. I love it still. You not? blasphemy ;) 

Better well stolen or inspired than bad self made. ;)

Everything was there already. Every story already told... But it's still nice to have an update from time to time. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots

Gerade eben schrieb Kerby84:

What? :lol: Black & White? Sure. I love it still. You not? blasphemy ;)

I wasn't talking about Black&White, but it's the right direction. ;) 

Heck, yeah, just take from them, or ask some former lionhead employees,lol.

But atleast the studio is asking its community, but why,  dear @Alex Koshelkov , @Mirror  and @Sasha (you are tagged as CM on discord,so..)  it's not possible to keep us posted here as well?

7 minutes ago, threeheaded monkey said:

I wasn't talking about Black&White, but it's the right direction. ;) 

*snip*

Oh Spore... It was kinda fun for a while. Sometimes I replay it through all ages but that's a really quick fun until space age that lasts for... some hours. And why? Bad game design and really bad decisions from EA. They thought the could catch a wide audience and did not catch anybody at all. 

Or did you think about Godus? Don't remind me of that failure. Wasted lifetime. No Godus 2.0... Yes I played it way too long. I tried to like it... but it was impossible... The community gave it's best to be constructive... But if someone decides his idea is the better and is in charge... Molyneuxion... 

The latter. Sorry for reminding you, but when reading "bubbles" I just have to think of it and all its pink bubbles. -_-  (It's still in early access, eventhough the cans haven't updated the "game" for almost 3 years now! )

Spore was indeed very interesting, but not a god game at all imo. In the end I was actually just creating weird creatures without playing the game anymore. :)

Black&White is truly the most oustanding god game so far! I'd even bought a new computer so I could play this game after its release.

Ahhhhh. The good ol days...

Speaking of which, one of the coolest things about B&W was the creature, its education respectively. It was so much fun ( but also frustrating at times) to put your creature on a leash and "go for a walk". To see that the creature was watching you, learning from you and later trying to do some miracles on its own, was just amazing.

Not that I would like to have a creature for the Universim, but the idea of actually educating the nuggets and watching them afterwards as they try to apply what they've just learned sounds good to me.

Also the concept of the leash ... Hmm.

Am 30.4.2018 um 14:56 schrieb threeheaded monkey:

Wasn't it so that in Fable the "experience" you were gathering was color coded, and you then only could  research spells according to the amount of that "experience"?

There were three different colors as far as I remember, each representing a different action.

What if there would be a similiar approach in The Universim?

4 hours ago, threeheaded monkey said:

Sorry for reminding you, but when reading "bubbles" I just have to think of it and all its pink bubbles.

Okay you played it too long, too. But I thought of soft... cloudy thinking bubbles. and not that noisy pink ones from godus the clicker orgy ;)

4 hours ago, threeheaded monkey said:

... Fable ... "experience" ...was color coded, and you then only could  research spells according to the amount of that "experience"? ... What if there would be a similiar approach in The Universim?

We two  had this kind of Idea already... Somehow. so yes... different kind of "energy" or knowledge for different research options: godly, secular and so on.... we'll see what will be and won't be realized. 

It seems prisons from Black & White 2 are introduced...  Maybe an altar is borrowed as well. Please use more ideas from the original game templates to improve the game... Btw. prisons in Black & white 2 were pretty useless. ;)  Why? Because god had power. ;) 

5afc898644f97_Vollbildaufzeichnung16_05.2018213950_bmp.thumb.jpg.2c0fe3412eb155a0cd7202e32b49138f.jpg

In a somewhat naive/childlike and crazy way I just want to believe that if we keep on posting our ideas here, one of the devs or all of 'em may appear and then suddenly turning the game into something we all have been waiting for.lol

You're so optimistic Butters. :)

May the force of light lead you the way young Skywalker...

link.... Link...... LINK!!!! WAKE UP LINK! :lol:

Ooof. I must have been dreaming. It was a good dream though. 

There was this game, which made me being a mighty god. And there were little people around staring at me full of awe.

But just  as I wanted to unleash all of my power the dream ended all in a sudden; and here I am, sitting in front of my desk four years later...

Did I miss a thing? :D

I wanna be able to say, make it rain or make it a heatwave or something. 

Saying its not based on real world. then suggestion having cinema that streams youtubers? hopefully that was a silly joke. 

Adding governments? 

This isnt a god game anymore haha. Seriously, start focusing on what was promised with the KS. 

Im seeing delays all over the place with all these suggestions coming from the team. 

You forgot about the prisons,dude. :D

But in their defence:

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Magecoerlin:

With the most recent devblog, we focus on the buildings and mechanics more because that's easier to show. We can pull up models, screenshots, and concept art and have a visual reference. The god powers and quests, there's less visually to show, we can only talk about it. And by talking about it, we pull away any awaited suspense. That being said, we are planning more blog posts prior to the August release, and I would bet that they will focus on the god aspects of the game. We are really trying to pivot and correct that, because we've heard across every outlet that people are unhappy with the state of the game as a god sim.

Sure it may be difficult to actually display the god aspect of the game with a screenshot. ;)

Anyway.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Magecoerlin:

I do want to point out though that while The Universim is a God Game, it's always also been a planet management game, and though the God aspect has been underdeveloped, we have to keep vigilance that the management aspect doesn't fall to the wayside as we do.

PLANET management, exactly.  So a government may be helpful, in the case it'd make macromanagement possible ofc.

But still I would like to know what you are up to regarding the god aspect, guys.

Cherry on top.

:emoticon-00109-kiss:

1 hour ago, threeheaded monkey said:

PLANET management, exactly.  So a government may be helpful, in the case it'd make macromanagement possible ofc.

But still I would like to know what you are up to regarding the god aspect, guys.

Cherry on top.

:emoticon-00109-kiss:

Who needs an government if there is a mighty god? ;) 

Nugget: Hey god. We formed a government and we're against your decisions.

God: So what?

Nugget: We don't want to pray to you any longer... *hides*

God: Sure? You're all doomed to death in this case.

Nugget: *mumbles with other nuggets*

God: *sarcastic smile*

Nugget: We changed our mind. We love you so much. Prais you lord.

God: Go back to your defense tower.