Sign in to follow this  
Kerby84

Make me smile again

Nice to see that there is another Kickstarter around,... I was already wondering what happened to these almost twelve thousand other people.

Really good points though.

As far as I'm concerned  I would consider a honest, awesome and true response as a huge sign of confidence and respect towards those people who helped to make all of this here happen.

I bought this game a few months ago, thinking it looked awesome. I was unaware the the game was funded by a kickstarter that apparently was held nearly 4 years ago.

Now getting spammed by them becoming a publisher and all these other stuff they are doing makes me wonder if this game will ever become what was envisioned. It just seems to me that Crytivo should focus on this game and ONLY this game. Since after nearly 4 years its still in a state where you can't really call it a game. The second era isn't even really implemented yet. Yet I get these invites from them to other games they are supposedly developing that was also in a state where it was only interesting for 5 minutes. 

Because of that I have given up on this awesome concept of a game. It seems it all just another money grab. Crytivo should focus to get something playable and good out, not expand and lose focus on what started it all.

Anyway, some of my frustrations had to be let out.

Hi Kerby84,

We’d firstly like to say thanks a lot for your kickstarter support and for staying loyal and vocal during the development of The Universim.

On 1/10/2018 at 12:35 PM, Kerby84 said:

Starting with the completly  misjudged release roadmap during kickstarter.

c47bfa8072b2380ec70936e975bc94bb_original.jpg.48c897d5a04eb2f3dcc934bcaa7752ba.jpg 

The release roadmap was not necessarily misjudged. We have instead opted to focus on the quality of the various systems and redesign numerous areas of the game that were found to be boring or weren’t working out. We intentionally pushed the roadmap further to focus on our improved vision and incorporate feedback. The complexity of the project was certainly raised, which created the need for more time. We realized it was going to take longer than expected, and we were transparent about it from the beginning.

We don’t want The Universim to be another project that people will forget about in a month or two after release. The gaming market is oversaturated with numerous titles releasing every day, with very few achieving any form of longevity. We don’t want that to happen to our beloved first title. We plan to support The Universim after release and hope to grow our already amazing community even further. We have a seen a lot of support and appreciation for our passion towards The Universim, but we also understand the complaints and apologize to anyone who may be upset.

An excellent indicator of how we stepped up the quality of the game can be seen when you compare our original Kickstarter plans HERE with what we have now. We are incredibly proud of the team’s progress, and we feel that the time taken has really stepped up our game. Our devs work every day on new features and bug fixes, which can be seen in how substantial our monthly patches are. I would encourage you to check out a few of our recent patches.
Beast Hunter Patch

El Pacino Patch

Test Sqad Patch

Pumpkin Patch

Also would like you to compare these:

Planet.gif

Surface.gif

Huts.gif

Nuggets.gif

Hut.gif

Wolf.gif

Before

a.1.1b.jpg

After

Screenshot_7.jpg

Screenshot_66.png

After

Screenshot_10.jpg

After

Screenshot_6.jpg

After

screenshot_5_2.jpg

After

Screenshot_6.jpg

After

Screenshot_2.jpg

Before

Screenshot_3.jpg

I don't know how you can not to appreciate the change.?!

Screenshot_3.jpg

We understand what you’re saying, but I think it is a little unfair to constantly hammer our developers with the original roadmap. Our team is stronger than ever. We have amazing talents working on the game, and it’s only going to get better from here. Stick with us, we’ll show you what we got.

You are a creative artist and really great in visual design. But you're not a programmer. How many full time programmers work for Crytivo and since when? Full time programmers that are good at their job should be able to develop at least a working minimal foundation that works most of the time in more than tree years. Part time programmers of course with a daytime job have other things on their mind. You delivered great concepts and added add on and strecht goals but could not realize one of them yet because you have no stable base.

Thank you for your compliment! Wait, who told you I’m not a programmer :P? I’ve been working on this project since 2013, and I know it very well. I know each and every flaw, every strength, and every system. I am highly involved in the development process. We have 4 Programmers, 2 3D Artists, 1 Concept Artist, a Copywriter, a System Designer working on the project full time and a few dozen freelancers working on the project.

Again, I can’t stress the complexity of The Universim enough. I simply cannot imagine putting  together a different team and having them make the game any faster. The game is in good hands. I understand that there are bugs here and there, but we address them as we go. It’s a challenging balance of creating new features vs fixing all of the bugs. A lot of things happen in parallel. All of our programmers are working full-time on the project, and they really put their hearts into it.  

Can you name any other indie studio of similar size with a game of the same scope and complexity that is doing things better and faster?

Kickstarter funding

As you mentioned, we received a little over $387K. What you may not have accounted for are the  taxes (21%), Kickstarter’s cut, Amazon’s payment processing cut, and fulfilling rewards and employee pay for the work they did prior to KS. If you subtract all of that, we are lucky to have around 150K left from the Kickstarter. Just to be clear, I am not complaining about our funding, you brought it up. It has really put us ahead, but it’s difficult to pay even 4  professional programmers for a year, let alone four years. Throughout all of this time, we have invested nothing of the budget into any marketing or PR stunts, beyond attending trade shows to collect more feedback from the public eye. Our entire team has made sacrifices to work on this project.

For example, my yearly payment from the work I’ve been doing in the past and freelancing was more than our Kickstarter money on its own. We are really reinvesting every penny into the project and always try to remain within our budget. We have managed to stay afloat and work on the game this long. We’ve always been focused on putting the community first, which is why we have never signed any investors who take over our creative vision and refuse to put the game out on Steam until we’re happy with it. We prefer to work through these challenges and deliver something special at the end of the line, even though it might take us a bit longer to do so without extra assistance. We hope you can support this ideology.

I understand that it can look like it’s taking forever for something you are excited about. I am impatient about such things myself, but I really hope we can maintain your support. It really hurts our team’s morale when they work extremely hard and then read comments like this. That is why I prefer to be honest and open about all of this, as I feel that being honest gives people the full picture. I always say that there are no questions you can ask that we are unable to answer (well, unless it’s under NDA).

Thinking of developing a game... We talked about a stable base you can develop on... a non professional would think... investing in full time programmers would be a good idea, right? How many full time programmers work for crytivo since you're a publisher now and you offer development assistance.

Why did you decide that our developers don’t work full-time on the project? Not a single developer/artist/concept artist was affected or will ever be influenced by the publishing side. Their roles haven’t changed at all. They continue working the same way they always have. Do you work for or have experience working with indie studios? I hope you don’t take this as a negative response. I just wanted to address your concerns and be extremely transparent with you.

Reference these as well: 

Beast Hunter Patch

El Pacino Patch

Test Sqad Patch

Pumpkin Patch (or check our patches even further below: https://theuniversim.com/news)

In the end, I would like to thank everyone again for their support and even their criticisms. I would like to address any concerns you all might have. Please let us know what we can do better and I will do my best to deliver your message to the team and work it out. We understand that the new release schedule may seem like it’s taking a long time, but the sheer quality of the deep gameplay systems,  simulations, and even graphical fidelity will hopefully make up for it.

We love all of you. Stay awesome!

-Alex

Dear @AKoshelkov, thank you for answering. 

as I said:

On 10.1.2018 at 9:35 PM, Kerby84 said:

You''ve made great progress yes, but the foundation is still broken and you need manpower to fix it.

I never said there was no progress. So the before and after pictures are not needed. But thank you. The main focus was about the lack of communication.

As you said:

On 10.1.2018 at 9:35 PM, Kerby84 said:

“We believe that a happy community and smiling fans is what brings success to projects, and this is why our company culture will continue to be built upon the grounds of transparency and trust with our fans and partners. We want Crytivo to be the ambassador for indie developers and fair gaming practices. We want to help good games get discovered and grow vibrant communities, while delivering the best possible experience to fans.”  

—Alexander Koshelkov

I noticed a lack of transparency and trust and too less conversation. Example:  I opened this topic January 10th... and you replied today middle of march. I don't really feel informed nor involved enough especially with this new Crytivo publisher thing. You did The Universim no favor.

1 hour ago, AKoshelkov said:

Why did you decide that our developers don’t work full-time on the project? Not a single developer/artist/concept artist was affected or will ever be influenced by the publishing side. Their roles haven’t changed at all.

Because you said it on the crytivo page news.

We also work closely with indie developers on the publishing front to form strong teams and deliver unique, engaging games. We offer a wide range of services to developers who choose to come under our wing, from development assistance to marketing and PR.

Maybe this sentence is a bit unclear but my definition of " development assistance" costs manpower.

The whole "we are honest and open" phrases  and the (till now you answered and thank you for your statement) really spare informations we got on the other hand,  did not feel right.

1 hour ago, AKoshelkov said:

Can you name any other indie studio of similar size with a game of the same scope and complexity that is doing things better and faster?

Better in terms of honesty and open development... yes. Stonehearth

I backed it too. It is still unfinished but they have a short youtube clip every week to keep people informed and involved. That does not mean you have to do weekly youtube clips but a nda for gamers? we believe in the universim and we want to follow the whole process and informations are essential. Especially if you repeatedly claim to be honest and open.  just my 2 cents Alexander.

Please don't get me wrong I still want The Universim to be a great game. But open informations about planned features and discussing about those features would be a win situation in my opinion. As i said (in a different topic)... I don't see a god game road at the moment. It's more a rts with resource management and additional bonus features. I'd love to discuss about the god game aspect of the game but i feel the lack of connection to the dev team. 

That's this topic all about. If you want to read my other topic and write something there:

Still A God Game Or A  Building Simulation Stategy Game

And again, thank you for answering.

Well, yeah. The roadmap.

The matter about the Kickstarter-roadmap is: It's there. 

And  some, if not many people were supporting The Universim just because of said roadmap; after watching the trailer and thinking how awesome and complex this project is (the complexity was high from the very beginning! ;) ) and wondering how good this indie studio is managed .  Because the roadmap was indicating that there have been a lot of your systems working already. Bare bones ofc, but nevertheless, " a good portion of features", remember?  Just sayin'.

No I really respect your post ,that you've found the time  to put all that together, eventhough there a little bit too much screenshots imo,heh. (Sure, it's good to see how the game has changed and that there were changes at all.)

As for my example of how I think PR could be done is Astroneer. They are, just like the guys around stonehearth,  posting their kind of video log every now and then. What I really like about those vlogs is that I actually can see someone working on something. A programmer glueing some lines of code together or testing an upcoming feature and what not.

Vids are a good medium to give the community the feeling that they are a part of the development.

Another thing what I think is missing,  is an up to date Trello board, like this one here.

Would be a great opportunity to show off what the studio is working on right now and in the near future, also good for time management,ofc.

And please: Stop  polluting this forum which was supposed to be about The Universim exclusively with  any of the games  you are working on next to The Universim. It's way too confusing and makes it less and less appealing to me and most probably  many others too.

One more thing: Maybe some of your full time members could be around here more often and respond on occasion.