Sign in to follow this  
rovaira

Is there anyway to get nuggets to build huts closer to the work buildings I build?

Is there anyway to get nuggets to build huts closer to the work buildings I build?

Is there any way to get nuggets to build huts closer to the work buildings I build? They are building their homes further and further away from the direction I am trying to build their workplaces (closer to the next body of water).

This would be a great idea... Right now nugget's walks from their houses to their jobs can take an incredible amount of time. Combining this with their necesities it can be difficult for them to find a little while for working.

Funny you should ask that. Orignially, we had to manage all placement of all buildings and the feedback was this did not feel "god like" and was also unscaleable across planets (imagine focusing on the placement of Nugget X's hut when you're also mentally juggling intergalactic travel). Hence the AI.

I think the end result you are looking for (do correct me if I have misunderstood) is that it would be better if the AI took distance into account when allocating nuggets to tasks. Also, through the UI, it would be helpful if we could have an indication of where a nugget lived, before we assign them to a job. The other alternative, is for nuggets to "swap" houses to be nearer. Or another other, certain main buildings, came with nearby accomodation. i.e. build the fisher hut, you also have to place a nearby sleeping hut (or something along those lines). It does then get very complex from a dev perspective though.

I feel your frustration, nothing worse than a farmer walking across an entire village to have a sleep, and then walk back, whilst your crop wilts, and he uses up a large %age of his energy just walking to and from hut/work.

This whole area does need refining and improving, for sure.

Of course I suppose the principal aim will be that nuggets are as independient as they can, although it's probably the most difficult mechanic too. It would be crazy to be choosing every stone hunt placement, but sure I think it needs to be improve. As your civ is continually growing, maybe it would be interesting some kind of swap system as you said...

Perhaps the ability to "override" placement - as a god power.

So the AI will do "its thing", but then you can intervene and place a hut if you want to.

That might be both simpler to code and also lead to an interesting game dynamic.

I presume the use of god powers will come at a cost, the mechanism for which has not yet been revealed IIRC

6 hours ago, gillburt said:

So the AI will do "its thing", but then you can intervene and place a hut if you want to.

That might be both simpler to code and also lead to an interesting game dynamic.

I presume the use of god powers will come at a cost, the mechanism for which has not yet been revealed IIRC

I think what might be a good idea is if we can 'zone' areas for residential for example when we want them to build in a certain area next. Sort of like Simcity or something like that.

The problem right now is the workers have to walk really far; especially if they are building their homes in areas further and further away from where I'm building the new work buildings, wells, farms, etc.

On 9. 8. 2017 at 0:09 PM, gillburt said:

Or another other, certain main buildings, came with nearby accomodation. i.e. build the fisher hut, you also have to place a nearby sleeping hut (or something along those lines)

I think this is the best idea. Just to have living quarters for the worker and his family built with the main building. Or turn it another way around, you can only attach the building that needs workers to existing huts. But that could be difficult if huts are close together...

8 hours ago, Googinko said:

I think this is the best idea. Just to have living quarters for the worker and his family built with the main building. Or turn it another way around, you can only attach the building that needs workers to existing huts. But that could be difficult if huts are close together...

I'd like to see the home separate from their work, but be able to at least zone a particular area telling the nuggets in what general area to build next; then have the ability to change it.. for example, be able to say ok now build in this area next, or build wherever you like now. Also if they are separate from work it'd be cool to see commuting later on in advanced civilizations. :) I don't know what they plan for that though. 

On 8/9/2017 at 7:07 AM, gillburt said:

I just saw this above. This also could be a good idea.

On 11/08/2017 at 2:04 AM, rovaira said:

I'd like to see the home separate from their work, but be able to at least zone a particular area telling the nuggets in what general area to build next; then have the ability to change it.. for example, be able to say ok now build in this area next, or build wherever you like now. Also if they are separate from work it'd be cool to see commuting later on in advanced civilizations. :) I don't know what they plan for that though. 

I do remember part of the big rework was putting an underlying sort of map/structure/network to allow for upgrading to roads etcf. as we move through the ages.

52 minutes ago, gillburt said:

I do remember part of the big rework was putting an underlying sort of map/structure/network to allow for upgrading to roads etcf. as we move through the ages.

Yep, and ever since that I've been really curious about how roads are going to work. Based on how buildings tend to get pretty haphazardly placed due to terrain restraints, road networks are going to look pretty... erratic. I guess that's fine, as long as they serve their purpose. That's pretty much how they are in the original promotional video. 

Sign in to follow this