Sign in to follow this  
Arlo

V0.0.9 late game performance slightly worse

V0.0.9 late game performance slightly worse

What client version you downloaded: Linux Launcher with Ubuntu 16.04, launcher runs The Universim.x86_64

What part of the system was the bug/issue encountered in: game client

Are you able to replicate the problem: not sure, only played one really long game

Detailed description of the problem: 

I played for about 5 hours. I noticed the performance got slightly worse around 3 or 4 hours (~45 nuggets). I don't have measurements, but I would say the framerate dropped from say 30FPS to 20FPS.

My graphics card is a bit old though. Nvidia GeForce GT 430. So it's hard to say if it's the GPU or CPU getting slower. I may get a new graphics card soon, which should eliminate the GPU as the bottleneck.

Is there an FPS display? I would be willing to run a game in gdb or valgrind in the future. Although I think I'll wait for the next patch before doing another long game.

Overall the game is rock-solid. I haven't had a single crash in my ~3 hour game or ~5 hour game.

top output late in the game

LateGameTop.jpg

If you're interested I get get another top output early in the game.

Here's the whole village:

LateGameWholeVillage.jpg

F12 will display FPS. We are aware of the FPS issue and we are currently working on improving this. However, your a unique case being a Linux user. Tagging Supreme Leader: @AlexK and Black Hat Leader: @Greendq

It is hard to say, where is the problem, but I can guess this is Mono garbage collector problem. @AlexK can forward my guesses to the right person.

Ok, thanks. I wouldn't spend any effort on this since I'm sure you have other higher priority items. I just thought I'd post my performance experience since you asked for feedback on it. Overall, I'd say Linux performance is very good for pre-alpha.

As I said, my graphics card is old, and it has particular problems with shadows. Kerbal Space Program (another Unity game) has major issues when I turn shadow quality up. So the performance decrease I saw could just be from more objects casting shadows over time. (FYI, I turned Universim's shadows to the middle quality before I started playing)

Sign in to follow this