Sign in to follow this  
Somethin_grim

Laggy and the zoom function is ridiculous

I literally just started playing this game. Its a little laggy and choppy although that may be because of my laptop. But when I try to zoom in and out it either goes all the way in or all the way out and there doesn't appear to be a middle ground. Also there is no button that allows you to save your work and quit the game, which is a major problem. I had to just close the app unsure if my progress was saved or if I'm going to have to start all over. You give the user the option to build buildings when the builder is already working on a different building. This will just lead to confusion as the user won't know when their building will be built. Granted it is kind of cool that you can create a kind of queue but it just seems unnecessary .

What are your system specs that you are playing on?  I think some of those issues (like zoom and game running choppy) is probably related to that.

Save option is not implemented in game yet.  It will be at a later time.  Right now, there is about a hours worth of game play before things stop working.  This to be expected based on where the game is in development. 

hey op, i think it might be your system. on my home desktop this game runs like a charm. AMD 6300, 20gigs of ram and a R9-270x. but on my lap top i experience the same issues that you mention. id put money that its your system. 

I'm having a lot of trouble with touchpad pinch zoom.  It requires many tries to get it to zoom out or in.  When it does zoom out, it doesn't zoom out very far.  The game itself runs fine.

V 0.0.7

Windows 10 Version 1511 OS Build 10586.218

i5-5250U CPU @1.60GHz

8GB RAM

No Touch Screen.

3 hours ago, Somethin_grim said:

I literally just started playing this game. Its a little laggy and choppy although that may be because of my laptop. But when I try to zoom in and out it either goes all the way in or all the way out and there doesn't appear to be a middle ground. Also there is no button that allows you to save your work and quit the game, which is a major problem. I had to just close the app unsure if my progress was saved or if I'm going to have to start all over. You give the user the option to build buildings when the builder is already working on a different building. This will just lead to confusion as the user won't know when their building will be built. Granted it is kind of cool that you can create a kind of queue but it just seems unnecessary .

First and foremost, welcome to the community! I'm pretty new here myself, so I've had that moment of annoyance over not having save and have noticed the "got away from me" zooming in/out as well (I actually think this may be related to my settings for mouse acceleration, since I have them set pretty high and it seems the game does, too, so it is exponentially more dramatic with both happening. I'm testing around this now and would encourage you to do the same... let's compare notes when you do, eh?).

I agree with you that not knowing what to expect when you make a change can be a bit frustrating; that said, I think their intention is that you have to learn by "trial and error" what the behaviors of the Nuggets will be (and adjust your management of them on the fly as you do). I could be wrong of course, it's pre-alpha and a LOT of things are NOT in the game just yet... but that's kind of why I'm here - I like the early days when things are missing, incomplete, or flat out broken on a regular basis. 

Am I a masochist? No. Heh. Not at all. But I do product management and design for a living and I'm one of those "eggheaded" people who research for fun. This is a chance for me to really see the amazing process of game design and building "from the ground up". It's actually my favorite part of the growing indie game industry (which, before this, has been all too secretive for my taste). 

That queue becomes your friend when you're trying to manage several goals at once and want to ensure your Nuggets do things in the order that gets them to your goal with the best efficiency. That said, with no save function and being where we are in pre-alpha, it's not always intuitive and I know that can be frustrating for people excited to try/play the game. 

I'm sure there are others who can give you fast insight on everything. I'm stumbling around learning it all myself... but if I can be of help, please let me know. I think this game is going to be amazing, but I also know I've got a real rollercoaster ride ahead as a customer as they build out and implement all the mechanics and assets to make this offering "ready for prime time". 

Again... welcome! :)

7 hours ago, Somethin_grim said:

But when I try to zoom in and out it either goes all the way in or all the way out and there doesn't appear to be a middle ground.

Different laptops will have widely varying touch-pad settings, so the developers might opt in the future to include some way to adjust the difference between the "steps" in the zoom levels. As you see in the settings menu as of V0.0.7, there is no such option. This could be a good enhancement request, but will likely take quite a while until they're ready to implement something like this.

7 hours ago, Somethin_grim said:

You give the user the option to build buildings when the builder is already working on a different building. This will just lead to confusion as the user won't know when their building will be built. Granted it is kind of cool that you can create a kind of queue but it just seems unnecessary .

There are many ways that the work priority system can handle this and I expect for this to evolve during the path to the beta or gold release versions. I think that the system as it is right now introduces its own unique challenge because of the lack of control over what builders are doing. I don't know the logic that they use to decide which to work next, but I do like that there's no need to micro-manage their actions - they are autonomous and do your bidding quietly in the background. Heck, they even repair buildings that are constantly decaying and it's up to you only to ensure that their workforce employs enough to keep up with the demand.

zoom sensitivity is not a bad idea.  i'll pass it on to the dev's and see what they think.  thanks all!

hey all, i created a JIRA ticket for this for the devs (TU-553).  I was told they will look to improve this at some point.

Really appreciate all your feedback!

Sign in to follow this