Guest AlexK

PATCH NOTES V 0.0.3.151 (LIQUID STONE)

Guest AlexK

Hello Ladies and Gentlenuggets! 

‌We would firstly like to extend a warm, festive greeting to all our fans enjoying the holidays. No matter how you spend this wonderful time, we wish you and your families the absolute best for the new year ahead. This patch not only brings with it some much-needed fixes and additions, but also a new naming convention that will help us to track version feedback. This patch is nicknamed Liquid Stone, so feel free to reference this when reporting any issues or discussing the build. The new Stone Age soundtrack is also now available to everyone who backed at the Dimetrodon level or above. You can find it in your dashboard.

indiedb.png

Furthermore, if you have yet to hear about it, we were recently nominated for IndieDB’s Indie of the Year Award 2015, and have already made it into the top 100! If you would like to vote for us, you can find the voting page right here. This is for the Upcoming Games category. It would be an honor for us to be considered one of the top 10 Indie games of the year, and a great opportunity to spread the word about the game.

Without further ado, let’s jump into the patch notes:

UI / UX

- Construction Menu optimizations
- Constructor’s Hut panel added
Screenshot_4.jpg
- News History Log panel added
- Nugget List panel upgraded
- Settings menu (In progress)
- Worker ID panel tooltips added
- Upgraded eatery panel
- Warehouse healthbar fixed
- New Seasons panel implemented
- Year is broken down into four seasons, which have dynamic length governed by climate rules
- Min and max forecasted temperature is displayed for each month
- Seasons panel tooltips added
- Construction Menu lock icon swap
- Main UI grayed out buttons fixed
- Nugget List panel tooltips added
- Construction Menu tooltips added
- Construction Menu Builder’s Hut icon added

BUG FIXES

- Fixed an issue with the Nuggets’ thumbnail images
- Fixed an issue that caused a crash while loading
- Fixed an issue that caused a crash during Nugget reproduction
- Fixed an issue with camera water effects not being removed when clouds are destroyed
- Fixed an issue with the lumberjack profession that caused a Nugget to remain Idle
- Fixed an issue with the farm panel that displayed reverted plot resources
- Fixed an issue with the framer's label on the farm panel
- Fixed an issue with the Construction Menu that caused menu items to overlap
- Fixed an issue with the Nugget age indicator still ticking after death
- Fixed an issue caused by a Nugget's death resulting in Key Buildings malfunctioning
- Fixed an issue that caused desert rocks to be misplaced during planet generation
- Fixed an issue with palm trees not rendering correctly
- Fixed an issue with depth sorting on some of the shaders causing uncommon clipping issues

NEW CONTENT

builders_hut_1.png

- Reference to the new Constructor's Hut (Balance Needed)
- Building Condition mechanics implemented
- Introduced a News History Log panel
- The Granary building has been removed. Warehouses are now storing food as well (Balancing Needed)
- A Nugget’s info card will no longer show the Nugget from a different camera, but will display a thumbnail
- Redesigned Seasons panel (Still In Progress)

GAME BALANCE

- Twins Possibility changed to 20%
- Nuggets now live longer: Minimum Adult Age changed from 550 to 770, Max Adult Age changed from 650 to 999
- Turned off Farm Crop temperature sensitivity. Better seasonal balancing required in order to run it effectively. (In progress)
- Upon starting a new game, Adahy and Elu will now start with 2 children, one male and one female.

AUDIO

- Music vs ambient sound balance tweaked
- Stone Age music levels tweaked
- Increased volume of Nugget voices
- Increased volume of Nugget footsteps
- New Desert Ambience Day
- New Desert Ambience Night
- New Forest Ambience
- New Night Forest Ambience
- New Grassland Ambience
- New Nigh Grassland
- New Mountain Ambience
- New Ocean Ambience
- New Ocean Ambience Shore
- New Space Ambience
- New Space Ambience Zoom Out
- New Zoom Camera Sound
- New Forest Ambience Autumn
- New Forest Ambience Winter
- New  Forest Ambience Spring
- New Forest Ambience Summer
- New Rain Forest
- New Rain Water

PERFOMANCE IMPROVEMENTS

- Tweaked shadow quality on both Great and Good settings. Shadows now have proper cascade updates and look sharper at closer distances, allowing for better performance and better visuals.
- Tweaked texture settings to boost performance. Texture filtering options tweaked.

PATCHER / LAUNCHER

- Added 9 retries for each file from the game data for slow/unstable network connections
- Fixed a problem with 64-bit Windows systems that caused the patcher to fail to properly update files
- Windows/Linux version patchier now creates launcher-debug. log file in the game directory. This file contains detailed information on the patching process and should be zipped and included in the bug report(s) if any problems are encountered.

Thank you,
CRYTIVO GAMES CREW

Awesome!

so this is gona be out 25 dec?

Windows version is now live, Linux and Mac will be live during 1 hour.

Note for 64-bit windows users who already has old game version: If the patcher crash during installation/update, just relaunch it again.

Windows version is now live, Linux and Mac will be live during 1 hour.

Just purchased it today for the Linux version, waiting to try out the update :)

After checking out the latest update.... Do you even play and test it yourself? The new implemented mechanics do more harm than they are useful. The whole building hut system and durability of buildings before they should be repaired is insane fast and unbalanced. Instead of introducing more problems to the game that need to be fixed again, already reported bugs from the first version are still in the game. Beginning with cutted off Text in the tutorial (that could be fixed within seconds) and still a not working farm system (200 food worth crops are only 50 in storage of farm after gathering, but gathered food do not add to your food supplies.) Dead bodies blocking living ones and many many more.

You can't tell me that a 12 headed team of developers needs a month for such small changes.  I'm disappointed.

Btw. this is the real Screenshot from the Constructor’s Hut panel, not the one uploaded... Why don't you use real screenshots?

builders hut.jpg

After checking out the latest update.... Do you even play and test it yourself? The new implemented mechanics do more harm than they are useful. The whole building hut system and durability of buildings before they should be repaired is insane fast and unbalanced. Instead of introducing more problems to the game that need to be fixed again, already reported bugs from the first version are still in the game. Beginning with cutted off Text in the tutorial (that could be fixed within seconds) and still a not working farm system (200 food worth crops are only 50 in storage of farm after gathering, but gathered food do not add to your food supplies.) Dead bodies blocking living ones and many many more.

You can't tell me that a 12 headed team of developers needs a month for such small changes.  I'm disappointed.

Btw. this is the real Screenshot from the Constructor’s Hut panel, not the one uploaded... Why don't you use real screenshots?

builders hut.jpg

You do realize this is a PRE-alpha build, correct?  I feel your expectations are far beyond what they should be.  By your statements, you are expecting a polished beta version of the game each release.  You won't get that....expect bugs....expect unbalanced mechanics......

The focus of the dev's is not going to be to balance the game right now.  That will come down the road.  The reason for the insanely fast "needing repairs" is so they can test the functionality of the repair system.  Expect it to be slowed down as other patches are released.  Remember....mating was ridiculously fast the very first release.  It was because they wanted to test out those mechanics of the game.

also, every patch does not mean they are going to fix every bug we previously reported.  They are focused on the new content (that we probably dont know about) in order to get it into the game so we can test.  The bugs that they do work on will be high-priority bugs...or ones that break the gameplay completely.  I can bet you that a font change/fix is probably lowest of low priorities right now.  Sure it might not take long to resolve (and it may be a pain...you never know), but i am sure there are a TON of more important things to focus on at the moment.

Edited by socman

Was the Linux update delayed? Been a few hours and I'm not seeing any update in the launcher?

hmm i must get uses to the Constructor's Hut I hoped they maked houses automatics and that ik can 2 builders add to the building, but i understand now and its cool :D 

Mac/Linux versions are live now.

Note for Linux version: bundled patcher was tested under Debian 8 Jessie. Unbundled executable is right near bundled one, as required by Mono license.

You do realize this is a PRE-alpha build, correct?  I feel your expectations are far beyond what they should be.  By your statements, you are expecting a polished beta version of the game each release.  You won't get that....expect bugs....expect unbalanced mechanics......

The focus of the dev's is not going to be to balance the game right now.  That will come down the road.  The reason for the insanely fast "needing repairs" is so they can test the functionality of the repair system.  Expect it to be slowed down as other patches are released.  Remember....mating was ridiculously fast the very first release.  It was because they wanted to test out those mechanics of the game.

also, every patch does not mean they are going to fix every bug we previously reported.  They are focused on the new content (that we probably dont know about) in order to get it into the game so we can test.  The bugs that they do work on will be high-priority bugs...or ones that break the gameplay completely.  I can bet you that a font change/fix is probably lowest of low priorities right now.  Sure it might not take long to resolve (and it may be a pain...you never know), but i am sure there are a TON of more important things to focus on at the moment.

I do realize it. Yes but you can't test the funcionality of something if it's not somehow realistic implemented. All the Nuggets are doing is Resting and repairing the two buldings that need to be repaired. To test this funcionality - you and me are not needed. A developer can test this within minutes. Action works? Yes. Check. The main focus is a useful integration under real playing circumstances. If you change the focus to build all buildings are in a bad status within minutes. It does not make sense. No i do not expect a polished beta. Calm down. But I expect some more progress from more than one year in development. Thinking of the alpha that should be released last year. I expect real screenshots not fake ones and i expect some game blocking things to be fixed. like dead nuggets blocking living ones.

I do realize it. Yes but you can't test the funcionality of something if it's not somehow realistic implemented. All the Nuggets are doing is Resting and repairing the two buldings that need to be repaired. To test this funcionality - you and me are not needed. A developer can test this within minutes. Action works? Yes. Check. The main focus is a useful integration under real playing circumstances. If you change the focus to build all buildings are in a bad status within minutes. It does not make sense. No i do not expect a polished beta. Calm down. But I expect some more progress from more than one year in development. Thinking of the alpha that should be released last year. I expect real screenshots not fake ones and i expect some game blocking things to be fixed. like dead nuggets blocking living ones.

FYI it even said this in patch notes from Alex.

Reference to the new Constructor's Hut (Balance Needed)

Alex, is each patch release going to have a nickname attached to it (Liquid Stone for this one)?  If so, it would be great if you could provide an explanation behind the name for each. =)

or, let the community select a nickname for each. =)

Edited by socman

FYI it even said this in patch notes from Alex.

Reference to the new Constructor's Hut (Balance Needed)

I can read. Thank you. But that does not change the other points I'm talking about. :-) Why wasn't it balanced to a somehow realistic level from the beginning instead of this insane quick testing speed that a developer uses to check a feature within seconds. That speed is used for inhouse testing purposes.

Everything above me is why I ask for more time between patches.

Do I really have to go through a year or move of people bashing little things that don't even matter in pre-alpha stage?

Maybe it's just me and I should just go away for a year so the people who don't want "steam type people" can raise more hell than a steam type person.

Everything above me is why I ask for more time between patches.

Do I really have to go through a year or move of people bashing little things that don't even matter in pre-alpha stage?

Maybe it's just me and I should just go away for a year so the people who don't want "steam type people" can raise more hell than a steam type person.

It doesnt matter if you wait 1 month, 6 months, 3 years....people will always find stuff to complain about.  Don't let that bother you.  The game needs people to continue to play it to help find issues so they can get logged and resolved.

No it's just justified critisism. I personally see a too small progress and can of course tell that. You do know that an Alpha should be released last year. So the game is way beyond it's time plan. By the original time plan, the game should be released by now in a final version. Instead we have a PRE Alpha and beautified Screenshots. If Electronic Arts would do that, you'd blame them.

The released Updates till now are only minor bugfixes in my opinion. The list of added sounds may extend the patch notes, but are totally useless in a pre alpha. Who cares for a Nugget voice or desert ambient sound if game breaking bugs are not touched and content is not implemented instead buildings get removed.

A realistic view of the development till now is needed. Not an optimized "I'm so hyped" view. What was promised and what do we have? The Team wants to get celebrated for its work and aimed to participate in contests for "Best Game of the Year 2015". We do have an completely unoptimized pre alpha instead of the promised "best possible alpha experience with minimal bugs and glitches" that should be released last year. What happened in between? They said they needed the extra time for the quality but we do not have more than a semi working pre alpha build. 

Just a small reminder what was promised during Kickstarter. Including the description text WHY they want to deliver the best Alpha ever...

Vollbildaufzeichnung 17.12.2015 141157.bmp.jpg

Kerby, I understand all of your frustrations...trust me...i really do.

I work as a software engineer as my full time job, so I fully understand where things are with this game.  Crap, there is stuff in my company that was supposed to be done 6 years ago that they are STILL working on.  Every year we get "it will be done at the end of the year".  Then the end of the year comes around...and it isnt done.  That stuff HAPPENS when you are developing software.  

There is a reason a majority of games do not announce dates until right before they happen.  You can see what happens when dates are given too early.  They needed to provide a date though during their kickstarter campaign though....i dont think they could have ran it without one.  Were they a little too optimistic?  probably....but you never know how things are going to turn out until those dates come.

Even the most funded games miss dates....some badly.  Just dont give up on the game.

Socman, I'm at the point where many negative small things combine to form a big bubble of dissatisfaction. Starting with overhyped Countdowns, giving away a playable version to youtubers first instead of backers, delivering too less content for such a development time (if you count from KS end), making more and more promises while not delivering the old ones... and to put the crown on it... faking screenshots in the own patchnotes. Why? Somebody invested time in this fake screenshot instead of taking a real one in seconds. It may sound not worth a word but all those things combined leave a unconfortable feeling. And if you be honest to yourself... All Bugs you've reported should be already known and found by a developer during inhouse testing. You as software engineer should know this better than anybody else. If you implement something you'll quick check it first. And every Bug reported would not pass a inhouse quick check if it's so easy to detect. The game is not really complex at this moment so bugs do not hide. They're clear to see.

And that's the difference betwenn a Steam type of customer and me, Michio. I can verbalize my concerns so anyone can agree or disagree. You may do not agree my opinion and think added ambient sounds are extremely important in an pre alpha. Your choice. I have my own.

My choice is to not moan about a "fake" screenshot over and over again(maybe its not a fake, just maybe they took a screenshot that is not from the build you are using. It is possible that just maybe they are already on a different build or have multiple builds between themselves at one time. Maybe its an old screen shot. Maybe it is fake, who cares if it didn't hurt the game). Moan about balancing of a new building and how fast they degrade(everything is sped up so of course its going to degrade faster) and whatever other minor things like font, yes it will only take a second or maybe more but perhaps they have plans to redo that screen anyway so fixing it is a waste of time.

And your still butt hurt because someone got to play the pre alpha that you seem to hate so much before you.

O yes you verbalize your concerns and anyone can agree(and hear nothing from you) or disagree(and feel the wrath of your verbalization). This is nothing like steam. Its not like reading the Godus(they deserve it) forum at all. But this is how it starts(and I don't mean the Dev side). This is Alex's first major build. So he thought he could do it faster which led to other things not being on time. That is all in the past. And not letting some lead way, a little forgiveness maybe is what turns this into a Steam EA forum. At least have the decency to "verbalize" in the closed forums. Who is going to support a game after reading this forum?

Optimizing everything for each release when its going to have to be re-optimized again later is a waste of time. Something you seem to think they are doing. One might think you would want them to push out large content and not focus on bugs, bugs and certainly the minor ones that are posted(not counting game stopping bugs) can sit and wait until alpha or beta. As much as I love that dead nuggets don't keep other nuggets from using already built huts anymore. It didn't stop me from testing other functions. Dead nuggets are still on the ground. SO WHAT. I want to see cities and space flight even if it means a fake screenshot of it on the announcement day!

Edited by Michio
Cuz I wanted to

I think it's more likely that the "fake" screenshot was made by one of the artists as a template for the constructors hut panel, it's normal that in a pre-alpha it's worse than the template.

Guest CM Mirror

I believe the screenshot is from the most recent internal build and the one in the PA is simply an older placeholder that wasn't or couldn't be updated in time for the patch to be packed and pushed.

in any event, were after bugs here so if something isn't working with that panel (like the text is to large and cut off) we need to know about those things.
if the bar is orange rather than blue... we dont really need to know about that (you may want to make a suggestion thread though!) but if the bar is say orange and super pixelated or has graphical anomalies we do need to know that.

My choice is to not moan about a "fake" screenshot over and over again(maybe its not a fake, just maybe they took a screenshot that is not from the build you are using. It is possible that just maybe they are already on a different build or have multiple builds between themselves at one time. Maybe its an old screen shot. Maybe it is fake, who cares if it didn't hurt the game). Moan about balancing of a new building and how fast they degrade(everything is sped up so of course its going to degrade faster) and whatever other minor things like font, yes it will only take a second or maybe more but perhaps they have plans to redo that screen anyway so fixing it is a waste of time.

And your still butt hurt because someone got to play the pre alpha that you seem to hate so much before you.

O yes you verbalize your concerns and anyone can agree(and hear nothing from you) or disagree(and feel the wrath of your verbalization). This is nothing like steam. Its not like reading the Godus(they deserve it) forum at all. But this is how it starts(and I don't mean the Dev side). This is Alex's first major build. So he thought he could do it faster which led to other things not being on time. That is all in the past. And not letting some lead way, a little forgiveness maybe is what turns this into a Steam EA forum. At least have the decency to "verbalize" in the closed forums. Who is going to support a game after reading this forum?

Optimizing everything for each release when its going to have to be re-optimized again later is a waste of time. Something you seem to think they are doing. One might think you would want them to push out large content and not focus on bugs, bugs and certainly the minor ones that are posted(not counting game stopping bugs) can sit and wait until alpha or beta. As much as I love that dead nuggets don't keep other nuggets from using already built huts anymore. It didn't stop me from testing other functions. Dead nuggets are still on the ground. SO WHAT. I want to see cities and space flight even if it means a fake screenshot of it on the announcement day!

No simply only because they promised other things. I would not care if a unstable and buggy as hell version was released last year December as promised. See the Kickstarter text. They said they needed the extra time from KS end till Dec to deliver the best alpha possible. That's a written fact and as you know they did not release a version for a long time and then hyped a pre alpha version with a countdown they did not release after the countdown... If they had released this version last year, nobody would care. But too much time has passed to deliver this early stage. 

The team is working daily on the universim. Right. But beside a different job. So they do it in their spare time. Nobody can expect this game to be realized as a part time project. At least some have to work full time on it. KS and site money is given to develop this game in realistic time. Those long delays are a result of too less manpower if they are working in a full time job and developing the universim in the spare time they have left. Sure that's a hard sacrifice and I would not change places with them. But the KS money and site money is for the development so they should use the money to have at least some people working full time 8-10h on the game development during week. What happened with the money till now if all of them are in full time jobs beside the development?

Regarding the Screenshot. It's as I said only the topping of many points of dissatisfaction.

Well in all my test games with the new version, (see other screenshots from old reported bugs) dead nuggets are blocking living ones so nobody can pass them. It's a game blocking bug in my opinion because they stay blocked until they die. but just because you don't seem to have this bug you can't say it's not a game blocking bug. a blocked nugget can't mate, can't repair and can't do anything.

As Alex said in his KS Text: Quality and Balance is our number one priority right now when working on current and new features. We believe that laying a proper foundation is crucial. We can update and improve it all from there with your feedback.

You need a somehow good balanced foundation you can build things on. Real optimization comes later. But as i said before... You can't test something if it's not implemented somehow realistic. So a minimum inhouse testing is needed. A Structure you build on. But that's nearly not possible if you have too less time. Even if the whole development team works spare time till they run dry beside their real jobs, they can't get as many things done as if they'd work full time on the game.

Btw. I'd love to say something good. I did support The Universim back in 2014 on KS because i believe in the project. But as time passed more and more not so good things happened and the progress is as I said really slow. Caused by too less manpower. 

After the game is finished, many will buy it on all platforms. Believe it or not. Most supporters already supported. More customers await if the game is finished so the team should focus on a good development time and quality as promised. And they can do more if they do not have the stress from real time jobs.  As the main page says maybe on next gen consoles, too. But the game has to be developed first. Once the game is finished, The Universim team starts to earn real money with it.

@Mirror Maybe. But cutted off text should be a known bug by now or not. Honestly... Everyone sees it. But thank you.

"I believe the screenshot is from the most recent internal build"

I read some where on the form from one of the team members, that there was no internal build there was only one and its that the same as the pre-alpha.

Went back and found it it is talked about in comment 5 and 6:

https://theuniversim.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1768-design-whats-after-pre-alpha/

"No the branch is the primary branch and build but many elements in the PA are just stamped in on the build to give gameplay function and will be replaced once the correct versions are completed."

Why could we not test that build? that would be better than having a PA where things are just stamped in. If they have a internal build that is a head of ours that we can't play then can we get a stream via twitch or a video of game play? Anything would ease our minds, and if the team does not have time because they are busy, then pass the build to someone they trust that can make a short video. Also if there is an internal build how much further is it than the pre-alpha?