Greendq

Linux launcher and updater

Since the final game is likely to be on Steam / SteamOS you probably are not going to package it separately. SteamOS is a debian variant and Steam packages software and content internally for distribution using a particular process.

But, do you plan on evaluating non-Steam releases of The Universim for Linux?  

Know that each 'kind' of Linux is actually a Software Distribution, usually GNU software (hence GNU/Linux) plus the Linux kernel, which have:

Also, many other standards exist, such as the XDG Cross-platform Desktop Working Group standards for Icons, menus and configuration file locations for users.

Users usually expect that applications will adhere to at least some of these standards.  Newer users are often surprised or dismayed when they do not since it makes applications harder to install and run.  The applications certainly do not show up in the list of applications to install or through 'one-click' URLs on vendor pages.

If you are interested in packaging The Universim, now shipped as a tarball, there are guides to building packages online:

As well as dedicated software for building packages, like the Open Build Server (OBS) service at https://openbuildservice.org or https://software.opensuse.org) and Koji (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji).

The advantages of packaging include automated testing of installed resources, verification of install application components, automatic dependency resolution.  With tools like Koji or OBS integration with build tools can create opportunity for instant release publishing, signed (thus cryptographically verified) releases and hostable software repositories.

An example of this is that nVidia proprietary graphics drivers which that company publishes through a proprietary repository.  These drivers are used by gamers to significantly increase their frame rates and provide features required by top-tier games when run on Linux, natively or through OpenGL accelerated Wine.

Another example is that Seam itself is often available in packaged format for the reasons given.  Users will rarely download Steam straight from Valve when the installer can be easily installed as a package and self-update to the latest when run.

Please consider packaging if you intend to ship The Universim outside of Steam distribution.  Many people in the community are willing to help should you ever need to do so.

I know how to make packages ;-) And I can tell it is real nightmare if you want to support all (or major) Linux distributions (even inside one type, let say RH/Cent OS).

Since this is really a lot of the work (not only to create, but also support all this zoo) we do not (yet) plans to create any packages for this game. May be (but only may be) it will be available in the Ubuntu Apps store, but this is not decided yet.

At the moment, Linux players number (in %, just look to Steam stats for platforms) is really small to think about making (and support them) any packages, sorry, it is sad, but true.

That's so sad... I thought there was actually a linux variant. The alpha version is not working for me. Probably some issue with mono. But I kind of expected more as it says "will be available on linux". Will this be supported later?

8 hours ago, Nieke said:

That's so sad... I thought there was actually a linux variant. The alpha version is not working for me. Probably some issue with mono. But I kind of expected more as it says "will be available on linux". Will this be supported later?

I donated on the website only because there is a Linux client.  No I don't want the ugly arsed dino badge, thank you.  I missed the sweet kickstarter badges since I didn't find out about the game until the KS campaign was already over.

The Universim uses the Unity engine which builds for most popular targets.  I Alpha test on openSUSE 42.2 on an Intel i6 with two SLI'd EVGA 970s.  My rig was quite nice for the 2015-2016 timeframe.  It's also not that bad of a bitcoin miner.

I'm willing to bet I'm the only openSuSE testing Crytivo has. (And I'd love to be wrong.)  SuSE is known to have a very well developed mono environment.

What Linux distribution do you use, Nieke? (cat /etc/*release to find out.)

What graphics cards?  (Use /sbin/lspci if it is installed or /usr/sbin/dmidecode.)

Do you use Free/Open Source only drivers or do you use proprietary binary-blob drivers for your graphics?  (/usr/bin/glxinfo | grep render)

Can you try one of the Unity demos and see if those work on your system? (https://unity3d.com/unity/demos)

On 6/6/2017 at 1:55 PM, Greendq said:

I know how to make packages ;-) And I can tell it is real nightmare if you want to support all (or major) Linux distributions (even inside one type, let say RH/Cent OS).

Since this is really a lot of the work (not only to create, but also support all this zoo) we do not (yet) plans to create any packages for this game. May be (but only may be) it will be available in the Ubuntu Apps store, but this is not decided yet.

At the moment, Linux players number (in %, just look to Steam stats for platforms) is really small to think about making (and support them) any packages, sorry, it is sad, but true.

Greendq, I realize that Crytivo are in this for the money at the end of the day.  But if you want to bring up numbers, PC gamers are a drop in the bucket compared to Android Linux gamers on Smart Phones.  There are just so many smart phones in the target income market for a game like The Universim.  And most of them run Linux with a Dalvik and ART user spaces.  Just look at America: 77% adult smartphone ownership verse 74% desktop ownership (source: Pew Research http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/10/29/the-demographics-of-device-ownership/).  I doubt most those desktops could run a game like The Universim at all.

Frankly, I'm just happy people are still developing games for the PC market. A Farmville-on-the-phone clone can earn AAA profits on C-quality work.

Something like The Universim is a really nice piece of interactive artwork.  Even in the Alpha this game has already more content than some of the phone trinkets that mint one-shot millionaires every year.  And that content can take upwards of tens of millions in cash just to create, let alone polish, perfect and deliver.

But, still, I play exclusively on Linux.  And I pay for this privilege.

I don't like wasting time rebooting into Windows.   I make too much money to waste my time like that.  Frankly, I'd rather pull up a console and a TV with a game instead of deal with logging out of my desktop session.  I've had desktop session last 18-20 months.  I've got virtual desktops with projects involving 6-7 applications.  I might even have a GPU running a render for a week. And yes, you can game just fine that way on Linux. Plus, because of that packaging stuff I talked about, patching Linux systems usually doesn't require a reboot or even a logout.  Mostly you just restart one or two apps.

But I do tire of running badly performing (Blizzard) games through Wine.  There is a flood of B-quality Steam games out there.  So many are not worth even the developer's time.  More than a few which the Humble Bundles left to rot on my Steam menu.  You don't get quality like The Universim very often.

Linux will never have a large market based on games.  You only get that when you get exclusives.  Microsoft knew that when they bought Bungie and made Halo for the X-box only.  If you were around then you recall that Halo, like almost all first-person shooters, also had Linux ports.  This was largely thanks to ID Software and their impact on the market at the time.  Microsoft closed that off and killed Linux gaming for a decade.

Exclusives are powerful.  People don't game on Windows to run Windows.  They game on it because their games run on it.  (And because almost 100% of the time, someone else set their computer up for them.) Being able to also play The Universim on LInux means I do not have to play that exclusives game.  I get my choice. Crytivo gets another sale.

Crytivo probably won't make as much money in its lifetime as Nintendo made in profits from selling the Switch.  And so many people really only bought the Switch to play Zelda, which is still available for the older Wii U.  Larger game companies would wet themselves over numbers like that (source: http://fortune.com/2017/04/27/nintendo-switch-profits/.)  So hopefully the game sells well enough, Linux and Mac and Windows, to justify all this work.

I know how to make packages ;-) And I can tell it is real nightmare if you want to support all (or major) Linux distributions (even inside one type, let say RH/Cent OS)

I'm sad you feel that way, Greendq.  This is why I offered community support.  This is also why I paid so much to get into the Alpha: I put my money (and my time) where my mouth is.

I think you'll find more hardware issues than software if the correct tools are used.

So I will continue to test as I can on Linux.  I will continue to play as I can on Linux.  I will continue to support the community as I can on Linux.

But if and when Crytivo no longer wants my kind to play their games let me know and I shall leave.  

But I will say it's been a fun ride so far.  Massive piles of dead Nuggets and all.  

Your work is appreciated.

Thank You for supporting Linux.

I agree it's a great pity!. I paid my money in good faith too & the alpha worked well for me right up to version 0.0.15. I was following it with interest & was quite looking forward to the final release but then it stopped working in version 0.0.16 anyay. It's looking to me like there's not much appetite for Linux & that the final Linux version may very well get pulled, based on some of the feelings here. Most regrettable.

Between v0.0.15 and v0.0.16 Crytivo have updated their Unity3D directory.

When I original ran the Linux client prior to v0.0.16 it created the directory 

$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc.

In v0.0.16 the client creates the new directory

$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_

Notice that one ends in a period while the other ends in an underscore.

This new directory may have new settings that do not work for me. I backed up the new directory and renamed my old directory to swap between them. 

cd $HOME/.confg/unity3d
mv 'Crytivo Games Inc_' 'Crytivo Games Inc_.bad'
cp -rp 'Crytivo Games Inc.' 'Crytivo Games Inc_'

I do assume you have the pre-v16 directory still lying around.

If you want to keep your new directory can you try this file Graphics Settings file?

https://gist.github.com/waveclaw/226acfbea10a5de5f93fdbd45c4c3133

Just backup the $HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_/GraphicsSettings.xml file and replace it with the contents from that Gist.

These settings forces the application to start in Windowed mode.

You will have to resize the window created once to force the 2D User Interface to draw correctly.

If that doesn't work, I can create and post a minimal-everything-setting version of TheUniversim.Settings.json, too.

Edited by waveclaw
Fix the path name corrupted by the editing behavior of Code blocks

This is interesting. The directory structure I have is nothing like that (see below) & I can find the GraphicsSettings.xml file nowhere. I did also try creating it in each of the directories shown below but it did no good.

It _does_ look like some kind of graphics issue, as all I get when I run the 0.0.16 game is a full sized totally black screen with a circular cloud cursor, which moves with the mouse. If I click any key then I hear the music playing but I get nothing else. I cannot exit the game & have to kill the process from another session.

<snip>

$HOME/.config/unity3d/
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_/The Universim
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_/The Universim/Unity
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_/The Universim/Unity/04599307-a899-4568-8dbb-d11e59a5b60a
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_/The Universim/Unity/04599307-a899-4568-8dbb-d11e59a5b60a/Analytics
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_/The Universim/Unity/04599307-a899-4568-8dbb-d11e59a5b60a/Analytics/ArchivedEvents
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_/The Universim/Unity/04599307-a899-4568-8dbb-d11e59a5b60a/Analytics/ArchivedEvents/149718456300004.956fe263
$HOME/.config/unity3d/Crytivo Games Inc_/The Universim/Unity/04599307-a899-4568-8dbb-d11e59a5b60a/Analytics/ArchivedEvents/149718453300003.956fe263

</snip>

I can find no logs which might point me in the direction of the problem.

4 hours ago, Crockett15 said:

I'm unsure exactly how but following restoring backups of 0.0.14 & updating a few times (sometimes with no success) 0.0.16 is now working for me.