Sign in to follow this  
Heruwath

Hard Lock at 20 Minutes

The pre-alpha seem to be locked at exactly 20 minutes of playtime. Downloaded the steam version and started several sessions. In all of them the progress stoped as soon as 20 minutes were reached. Checked the time during the last three sessions. The month calculation didn't proceed, which had influence on research, food production and building construction. It's not possible to progress anymore. In some cases the construction of buildings continued. Besides that my population grew and consumed food, which wasn't refilled, since my farms stoped working. At a certain point all of them died. 

This issue leads to a point, where it's not possible to test all the functionalities related to the stone age without cheating. And I don't want to use cheats, because from my experience those might lead to other issues, which wouldn't appear in the normal game. 

it's not supposed to work past 20 minutes.

it's not supposed to work past 20 minutes.

I didn't wanna say it.

I didn't wanna say it.

For me it's simple. The announcement news didn't mention any hard lock for the pre-alpha. Besides that the FAQ states the following.

I heard this is limited to 20 minutes only? Why so short?

• It's actually not limited. You can play as long as you want, but the game was only optimized for roughly 20 minutes of game play via the short tutorial. Anything beyond where the tutorial ends becomes un-tested territory that can and will have bugs.

This means the progress beyond those 20 minutes is not tested, but it's not supposed to be limited. A hard lock is a limit and if it's not intended, it's a bug.

This issue leads to a point, where it's not possible to test all the functionalities related to the stone age without cheating. And I don't want to use cheats, because from my experience those might lead to other issues, which wouldn't appear in the normal game. 

Most of the Stoneage is not even implemented so you can't test it.  Most of the tech tree is not implemented. So you reseach empty technologies. There is simply no content after 20 minutes gameplay. It would not make sense to play any longer except you want to harvest all wood and food of the planet and build a huge population that stucks in the dark stoneage.

Some major bugs are known. Wood collecting stops and draws the nuggets to a far away place on the planet. Food collection stops. Nuggets refuse to work. Nuggets get stuck in stonehuts while making...... "love".... And many more. 

Most of the Stoneage is not even implemented so you can't test it.  Most of the tech tree is not implemented. So you reseach empty technologies. There is simply no content after 20 minutes gameplay. It would not make sense to play any longer except you want to harvest all wood and food of the planet and build a huge population that stucks in the dark stoneage.

Some major bugs are known. Wood collecting stops and draws the nuggets to a far away place on the planet. Food collection stops. Nuggets refuse to work. Nuggets get stuck in stonehuts while making...... "love".... And many more. 

I agree, there is no content or empty content, which makes a hard lock reasonable. But a hard lock wasn't communicated, which leads to the point, where it's a bug, because the delivered functionality doesn't reflect the communicated design of the pre-alpha. And for me it stays a bug a s long as the designer doesn't state "as designed", which would include an adjustement of the FAQ for example. 

I agree, there is no content or empty content, which makes a hard lock reasonable. But a hard lock wasn't communicated, which leads to the point, where it's a bug, because the delivered functionality doesn't reflect the communicated design of the pre-alpha. And for me it stays a bug a s long as the designer doesn't state "as designed", which would include an adjustement of the FAQ for example. 

It's clear by comments made from officials such as Peanut's Post Pre-Alpha release that the current state is intended... you'll notice in the build itself at the bottom of the loading screen it says the build will last EXACTLY 20 minutes...

Not 'Approximately'.

Not 'Roughly'

EXACTLY

Close your eyes, stamp your feet, cite impressions of what was stated, build a fort out of pillows, call it a bug..... do whatever you want...

Doesn't change that it seems pretty clear that it's stated to be intended to be EXACTLY 20 minutes right there in the game.

Edit: And as others have pointed out, there's literally no real functionality attached to anything in place at the moment. About 2 or 3 researches actually do anything. Only 1 or 2 of the buildings you can build do anything... farms seem to not really do much at all.... pretty much everything is a empty shell where later something will be. A picture to say "This is how it will one day be like... except there will actually be something here and not just this non-functionality purely cosmetic front".

When you fired up the Pre-Alpha, placed the Epicentre and tweaked worker focuses... you had pretty much tested all the 'stone age functionality' there is. The duration restriction doesn't stop you testing functionality, as there isn't even 5 minutes of functionality to test with the vanilla code the build ships with.

Edited by Tikigod

It's clear by comments made from officials such as Peanut's Post Pre-Alpha release that the current state is intended... you'll notice in the build itself at the bottom of the loading screen it says the build will last EXACTLY 20 minutes...

Not 'Approximately'.

Not 'Roughly'

EXACTLY

Close your eyes, stamp your feet, cite impressions of what was stated, build a fort out of pillows, call it a bug..... do whatever you want...

Doesn't change that it seems pretty clear that it's stated to be intended to be EXACTLY 20 minutes right there in the game.

Edit: And as others have pointed out, there's literally no real functionality attached to anything in place at the moment. About 2 or 3 researches actually do anything. Only 1 or 2 of the buildings you can build do anything... farms seem to not really do much at all.... pretty much everything is a empty shell where later something will be. A picture to say "This is how it will one day be like... except there will actually be something here and not just this non-functionality purely cosmetic front".

When you fired up the Pre-Alpha, placed the Epicentre and tweaked worker focuses... you had pretty much tested all the 'stone age functionality' there is. The duration restriction doesn't stop you testing functionality, as there isn't even 5 minutes of functionality to test with the vanilla code the build ships with.

And here we are. It's not clear, since different statements are made at different spots. If it's intended, then please provide this information in the FAQ and the initial news, because those are the first places to go.

This topic can be closed if need, but the issue remains.

Have fun

I have to say, your becoming one of m favourite people on the board to read, Tiki.

[build a fort out of pillows..... do whatever you want]

^^^ This. I will load the PA tonight and at 21 minutes I will be doing this with my son.

And here we are. It's not clear, since different statements are made at different spots. If it's intended, then please provide this information in the FAQ and the initial news, because those are the first places to go.

This topic can be closed if need, but the issue remains.

Have fun

When you start a fresh game there is a window that pops up Welcoming you to Universim and thanking you for supporting the game. In that window, about a paragraph long, it states plainly that this is a 20 minute Demo. Now I just got the game today, so I don't know if that welcome message is something recently added or not, but I noticed it pretty clearly. Just my personal experience. Good luck and enjoy your global domination.