rbairwell

Unable to install - remote server returned an error 404

I've downloaded the Pre-alpha installer, ran it on my Windows 7 Professional 64bit machine (32Gb RAM) and entered my license key manually (unable to copy/paste). However, after entering the license key in the installer, I just get:

Fatal error

An exceptional situation occured:

The following error occured: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not found

[OK]

Doing a bit of debugging shows it is trying to access http://edge.theuniversim.com/updates/62/d9/930335280e5793a6f20e24f840b202933008/windows/version.txt?dt=635805918858219105 .

I'm getting the same error on Windows 10

Ok, I found the solution... I was using the wrong key.

Check the screenshot :)

Untitled.png

Yep, that's the key I chose - but might have made a typo during entry (is that an "I" or a "1"? is the key case sensitive?). I had to uninstall and reinstall the launcher before I could retry (perhaps tweak the launcher/installer so if it gets that error it actually prompts for key re-entry instead of just erroring out)

I've downloaded the Pre-alpha installer, ran it on my Windows 7 Professional 64bit machine (32Gb RAM) and entered my license key manually (unable to copy/paste). However, after entering the license key in the installer, I just get:

Fatal error

An exceptional situation occured:

The following error occured: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not found

[OK]

Doing a bit of debugging shows it is trying to access http://edge.theuniversim.com/updates/62/d9/930335280e5793a6f20e24f840b202933008/windows/version.txt?dt=635805918858219105 .

Usually, this mean that the entered key is incorrect. Key should be entered as it shown on the PRE-ALPHA product in the dashboard.

You can delete key.dat file (this is just text with .dat extension) in the game installation directory - next time you run launcher it will ask for the key again - not need to reinstall the game.

You can manually change the key used by the launcher by editing the key.dat file. The key is saved in cleartext, so just open it an replace the wrong key.

Untitled1.png

Thanks, ran into this issue myself, and turns out it is case sensitive. Edited the key.dat file and made everything caps, and now it works

You can manually change the key used by the launcher by editing the key.dat file. The key is saved in cleartext, so just open it an replace the wrong key.

Just be sure you are using Notepad, Notepad++ or similar text editor - key file content is used "as is", without any checks in the updater. 

I used Notepad++ but I had to copy the key.dat to my desktop, modified the file and copied it back to the game-dir. Perhaps you have to uninstall the game/launcher then, reinstall it. After the reinstall copy the key.dat back to the game-dir and launch the launcher :)

The simplest and fastest way is just to delete key.dat file - launcher will ask for the new one when you launch it :)